Posted: May 28th 2011 4:51PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, the best way that I thought of to give points was to give points for that rank the first time you reach it and nothing everytime after. Example: You receive the points for reaching rank 20 PUG. Two days later you reach rank 20 GLA, but receive nothing since you already got the points. I'd also be happy if when they got rid of the physical level if they let me respec my points for the current highest rank I have. (If that makes sense.)

Posted: May 28th 2011 6:17PM StBlackjack said

@(Unverified)
This actually stikes me as a really good idea. Once you hit said rank on any job, you get the points, end of story. In fact, I can't really think of any better way to do it.

As for respecing points, I'd really surprised if they didn't implement something like that for when the changes come. I think you can reassign points (at least your most recently used ones) on your attributes already, but only so far. But then I definitely play more FFXI than I do FFXIV, so my knowledge of the latter is limited.

Posted: May 29th 2011 1:25AM Mevan said

@(Unverified)

How is that even a good idea? I rank up MRD, focusing my attribute points towards VIT, DEX and STR. Then I decide to rank up my CON and I'm stuck with my decision for how I decided to spend my points on MRD? Your idea is no different than what's currently in place except with your idea the shared physical level is gone so you don't get the added bonus of a higher physical level.

How they're planning it is perfect. Each rank allows for the allotment of attribute points for each class specifically. This way, when I rank up MRD one day and CON the next I can have my points allocated where I need them for each class respectively and be the best possible MRD or CON I can be.

As for attribute points being reset after the update, it's a guaranteed thing.

Posted: May 29th 2011 7:16PM StBlackjack said

@Mevan I didn't realize the current plan to be implemented was perfect.

Posted: May 29th 2011 7:28PM Mevan said

@StBlackjack

Now you do!

Posted: May 29th 2011 1:31AM (Unverified) said

I'm under the impression that points will be allotted when you level your rank up with each particular class. Each class has their own separate point setting. I like this since you still get to control how you allocate your points, but you can craft each particular class to your liking. What I'm really curious is how the job system will be implemented. It seems like using a job will be activated over your current class and limit some abilities you have while granting you others.

Posted: May 29th 2011 1:49AM Mevan said

@(Unverified)

That's exactly correct. They've said as much in the "Battle Blueprint." It's going to be extremely interesting to see how it's implemented exactly. I see it playing out a little like how you were able to specialize in Mass Effect. (A nod to your icon)

Posted: May 29th 2011 10:15AM mmark said

Its really easy to see how the job system will work if you look at Conjurer, which has often been described as a mix of WHM and BLM with neither side dominant. The new job system will allow you to pull those traits apart and specialize in one or the other. If you go White Mage, you loose damage dealing ability in favor of healing spells. If you go Black Mage, you loose healing ability in favor of damage spells.

Posted: May 29th 2011 10:26AM Mevan said

@mmark

A great example! This reminded me of Scholar from FFXI and how within the job you can select Dark or Light Arts.

Posted: May 29th 2011 7:44PM Ghostspeaker said

The new system does sound more interesting and less... bizarre than the current implementation.

The more I hear the more tempted I am to give the game a shot, especially with monthly subs being free for the moment. I just might once the combat revision goes live.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014