Posted: May 28th 2011 11:18AM Resurge said

A lot of games these days have multiple spec options, so this question becomes more and more moot as time and games progress, and with dual-specs (or more) you can have your generalized class to run around and solo/small grp with ...and when it's raid time, you just hit a button and bring your specialized class/role to the big party. No one is looking for a jack of all trades in a raid. There is always someone else there who can do each thing a generalist can do, and do it better because they specialized in it.

Posted: May 28th 2011 11:19AM Resurge said

PS: WHY cant i ever change my avatar picture!? I've changed it 10 times, and it never saves it. :(

Posted: May 28th 2011 11:55AM Irem said

@Resurge
If you've just been trying today, chances are it's been saved but just hasn't shown up yet. When I changed mine way back when it took a long, long time to register.

Posted: May 28th 2011 11:54AM Irem said

Generalist. If I'm not fairly capable of handling a wide variety of situations on the fly, I feel crippled. Even when it comes down to specs and gear, I'll usually take whatever allows me to be most versatile (unless it's necessary to the success of my character to do otherwise, of course; I'm not waltzing into raids in my world exploring/dungeon soloing/farming/questing/MacGuyver setup).

Posted: May 28th 2011 1:58PM Borick said

Generalist or specialist doesn't matter so much as being 'outside of the lines' for me.

If I'm a healing class, I want to explore the DPS role. Mostly I want to do the thing that isn't established and accepted as the norm.

Posted: May 28th 2011 2:51PM Twisvel said

I gravitate toward mostly healer classes as my first choice and like to experiment with different types of healing. (Spike healing, HoTs, shield mitigation, aoe healing, etc) Either as a mix of healing abilities or exclusively one type. So in my case, it's a mix I suppose.

Posted: May 28th 2011 3:26PM Daeths said

Specialist. If im going to dd then ill do the most damage possible with little thought for defense. If im going to tank ill all but ignore damage (still need an agro attack or two tho)

Posted: May 28th 2011 4:09PM Zyrusticae said

I almost never approach my character from this perspective.

Rather, I instead focus on what my concept is and how best to approach that concept. As I have a penchant for big weapons and shiny armor, I have a strong tendancy to play off-tank DPS classes... which are "generalist", I suppose, although the line is honestly pretty blurry between a "real tank" and an "off-tank".

Recently, however, I've been finding myself interested in simply exploring all the different classes to find out what, in general, is most *fun* to me. Thus I've been surprised to find myself drawn to incredibly skill-spam-heavy gameplay of the assassin in Aion. They're about as specialized as a class can get in this game - pure damage, all the way, with some CC and defensive abilities that exist purely to let them continue dealing damage. There's just something inherently visceral about building up runes on a target and making them explode for both massive damage and a nasty secondary effect, ranging from life stealing to stunning to silencing - not to mention the satisfaction of hitting a series of buttons with such perfect timing that your attack chains rattle off faster than any other player can react to 'em.

You just can't get that with a more generalist class. They have to give SOMETHING up for their versatility, so they simply never quite reach the level of a true specialist in terms of sheer fun factor. Still, I enjoy playing the generalist at times, simply because they're more conceptually interesting than the pure classes. I may be playing the specialist classes more often down the line, however, after this experience...

Posted: May 28th 2011 8:38PM foofad said

A lot of times I start out with generalized characters in games to learn about the various specialized tasks, and then pick a specialized character as a result of finding a particular area or task I really enjoyed.