Posted: May 28th 2011 12:14PM Dunraven said

All I have to say is the way they are handling names is going to upset a lot of people. Cryptic allows for multiple names...why can't DCUO?

This is going to look like typical SOE mishandling.

Posted: May 28th 2011 12:44PM Yellowdancer said

@Dunraven

Gonna beat this with a nerf bat...

They said less than 5% of players have characters that have name conflicts across all servers. So by "alot" he means less than 5%.

They gave multiple reasons why they do not want to use the "@" symbol. And there were many players who protested against using the "@" symbol like cryptic does. You're going to upset someone either way. BTW, Cryptic is probably not the best example to use...ever.

No mishandling...Deadmeat invited everyone to chime in with ideas on how to handle name conflicts. If you have a good idea, you should post it on the thread.

And just a side-note...vid chat said Super Servers will be up in 2 weeks. RadarX also posted that on a thread.

Posted: May 28th 2011 12:51PM Rayko said

@Yellowdancer

@handle and Account wide ignore are the 2 greatest things Cryptic has ever done. I realize that's a low bar, but still...

Posted: May 28th 2011 1:14PM Yellowdancer said

• 1 heart
@Rayko

That depends on who you ask. There are people who do not in any way like the @handle idea. Note, no one else uses this idea and MMO's are all about copying the next guy.

Account wide ignores are a good idea. I give you that.

Posted: May 28th 2011 12:45PM (Unverified) said

this game was such a dissapointment .....zzzzz

Posted: May 28th 2011 12:54PM Rayko said

@(Unverified)

I think DCUO and AoC can both still be saved. They are games with great mechanics and polish that just need more content and some tweaking here and there, unlike Rift and War which have uninspiring game play and no soul.

Posted: May 28th 2011 12:56PM Rayko said

@Rayko

Although the end of Realm of the Fae in Rift was awesome...but that doesn't make up for the rest of it.

Posted: May 28th 2011 1:19PM Yellowdancer said

@Rayko

They're trying to change direction, at least. Not being as rigin on what goes into the game. It looks like they are relaxing some restrictions to gear which will help. I think DC still has some heavy clamps on them, however. They mentioned that changing power colors and iconic emblems being under the control of DC in determining what's is and is not allowed. That's what hurt SWG in early development. Starting to just think established IP's are a bad idea for MMO's.

Posted: May 28th 2011 1:33PM (Unverified) said

As an Arabic Linguist I can definitively say it's pronounced *Raas*. It means "Head". So his name might technically mean "Head of the Specter" (or Demon) Other dialects may pronounce it differently but I might contend that the MSA or Modern Standard Arabic (or Fuus'ha) is the language of the Koran and the Koran is normative.

Posted: May 28th 2011 1:52PM Furdinand said

@(Unverified) Cool fact, thanks! I always assumed it was a random name the writer came up with.

Posted: May 28th 2011 6:54PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
If I remember correctly, R'as is actually from a nomadic tribe of Caucasians from what is now Western China, so he may speak some Central Asian dialect of Arabic. Granted, I'm mostly a student of European linguistics, so I don't know if any dialect of Arabic would have "R'as" sound like "Raish".

Posted: May 28th 2011 7:45PM mysecretid said

@(Unverified)

This. ^^^

There's never been a mystery about how R'as Al Ghul is pronounced. It's an Arabic name/title which translates, roughly, as "head of the demon". The people who created R'as al Ghul (Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams) chose the name specifically for its meaning.

That the DCUO folks don't know how to pronounce the Arabic just means they hadn't thought to avail themselves of Google that day. It's not a mystery just because you don't check. :-)

Posted: May 28th 2011 7:48PM mysecretid said

Was speaking to the Arabic Linguist poster, of course.

Posted: May 28th 2011 7:52PM (Unverified) said

@mysecretid sure, but I've even heard voice actors in assorted Batman cartoons get it wrong...in fact, to pronounce it completely "right" you'd have to a weird glottal thing the "Gh" in Ghul..sort of like rolling an "R" in the back of the throat. Lol in class we used to come up with tongue twisters designed to asphyxiate the one trying to pronounce them involving the "Gh" (or Ghayn)

Posted: May 29th 2011 6:59PM Dirame said

@(Unverified)

I've always pronounced it the way Batman from the cartoons did and it is exactly what you said "Raas". I really don't know why people would argue about it when Batman clearly pronounces his name ...

Posted: May 28th 2011 3:09PM bleyzwun said

PvP and open-world content were also discussed, with a note that new Legends characters are in the works and that the development team "loves" open-world PvP content and "will build more [of it]."

---------------------

I hope their idea of open-world pvp content isn't Ring Wars. That was a joke. I really would love if the mega-servers worked out and there was world pvp. If they actually add good content for it, that would be great too.

Posted: May 28th 2011 7:08PM Furdinand said

@bleyzwun I probably gets better when more people are involved.

Posted: May 28th 2011 4:42PM sn00gans said

*sniff* When they said it was gonna have a 'green' theme I thought OO GREEN LANTERNS YAY but then I read the rest of the article and was like FFFFFF.

Posted: May 28th 2011 4:45PM (Unverified) said

Time to log my characters in while I am at work/sleeping, tie down the left thumbstick, and direct them towards a wall.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:26AM Suplyndmnd said

@(Unverified)

I dont understand this. Why?

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM