Posted: May 27th 2011 12:49PM SiML said

I can't tell you the exact time I joined the pre-release forums, but I can tell you the time I left them...

It was when the Moderators decided to totally remove the off-topic section of the forums with no-explanation whatsover, to all intensive purpose giving a big 'up-yours' V-sign to the fledgling community that was forming there.

It was clear to me then that the Moderators are not interested in a REAL community as had started to develop naturally on the SWTOR boards, only a paper-thin veneer, a semblance of one.
The control freakery of moderation there is second only to Atari boards and it seems a trend for all big IP Californian studios.

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:48PM RogueJedi86 said

@SiML

Would that be the TOR forums? Because BW Austin is based in Texas, not California. WoW also recently removed their off-topic forums too.

Posted: May 27th 2011 1:53PM Stormwaltz said

I'm like a "drive-by healer." I don't join communities, but I hang around the outskirts of them, interjecting when something catches my interest. Usually I only check them out once I've started playing a game and am truly invested in it.

Out of the games I'm currently subbed to, I check the LotRO forums a couple of times a week, and STO's once every week or two. I've never looked at AoC's or Rift's forums at all.

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:23PM Ryukan said

I tend not to get too involved in pre-launch forum communities because forums are, well, forums. I don't tend to get too invloved in post-launch forums for same said reason. I do get involved in the community of the server/realm I am a part of ingame the social interaction and social connections made ingame feel more personal and immerse me more in the gameworld/game community.

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:35PM Sean D said

I check into the general forums once a month or so to see what the most common concerns are, but I otherwise avoid them. Many comments are just nonsense. Polls and re-polls, complaints, argumentative remarks, spammed advertisements for guilds, etc. are all over the place. I read one once where the author was arguing that Bioware was harming his financial health by refusing to announce a release date for SW: TOR. Seriously? I won't go so far as to say the majority of people who post regularly on community forums are delusional, but the delusional ones definitely stick out in my mind and do something to inhibit me when I think about checking in more often.

Posted: May 27th 2011 4:21PM SiML said

Yes RogueJedi86, the SW:ToR forums. Thanks for the clarification btw, I withdraw the statement re: Californian studios.... or even American studios for that matter. I don't play WoW so can't comment on that either, although it does seem a trend though.
I can only comment on the widespread feeling amongst the Off-Topic forumites on the SW:ToR boards, the threads been moved to website feedback now and last time I checked it still didn't have any Moderator explaination.

Posted: May 27th 2011 4:39PM iyLk said

it isn't a community until i can interact in-game with people. . .whether that's thru pvp, grouping, chatting, even trading. before that it's just fanboi hype and popularity contests among fansites and forum trolls

Posted: May 28th 2011 2:34AM Seldra said

I don't like getting involved in any gaming community, I don't want the attention and honestly, I feel like the whole thing with forums is akin to Youtube videos. Everyone trying a little too hard to grab attention and pulling crazy stunts or making "opinion videos" to sound like they know what they're talking about.