Posted: May 26th 2011 8:08AM (Unverified) said

Nooooooo ... I hated the Cata underwater zone ... I can't even remember what it was called now but it was junk ...

Sad b/c the other Cata quest zones were all pretty good ... That was my one Blizz compliement for today ... must go before my head explodes.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:15AM Lenn said

@(Unverified) I quit before Cataclysm, but your words apply to CO's Lemuria as well. Horrible, horrible zone. Underwater zones are very hard to play in because it's very difficult to gauge depth (ha) and distance, and mobs can literally come from all directions. Melee classes especially are seriously handicapped.

It's the one thing I'm NOT looking forward to in GW2.

Posted: May 26th 2011 10:39AM Okamakiri said

@(Unverified)

I thought Vashj'ir was the coolest zone in Cata... or all of WoW for that matter. It stands out as different, unique and actually beautiful despite WoW's aging graphics.

So yes, I would play an underwater MMO, assuming it satisfies the usual criteria that I expect out of an MMO.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:14AM Tizmah said

I do love going underwater in MMOs in general. A lot of MMOs have poorly designed under water lakes and such. As if they forgot to decorate it.

I will admit I hate the added depth of the aggro radius. On land, you don't have to worry about what's above you or below you to much. In a huge underwater area, there more crap to look out for.

I would imagine an all underwater MMO being sort of like EVE in a way. Not in space with planets, but they same depth and vastness.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:20AM Bartlebe said

Little Mermaid Online.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:21AM meancheez said

I've got my fingers crossed for some Mon Calamari action in The Old Republic. From what I've read in the EU there's a complicated ecosystem full of different creatures to murder waiting beneath the waves, and there's definitely a precedent for using lightsabers underwater.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:54AM Lethality said

@meancheez Sadly, no swimming in The Old Republic.

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:17AM meancheez said

@Lethality

Alas. A dream for some kind of future implementation then.

Posted: May 26th 2011 10:58AM Anatidae said

@Lethality Makes sense. A Jedi can't swim.

It is a common way to test to see if you have the force. Throw a potential Jedi in the water and if he swims to the surface, then skip the training.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:27AM MrGutts said

A sexy mermaid, maybe Mera and Hila or both. :)

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:28AM (Unverified) said

Can I just throw my (soggy) hat into the ring on 'Oh god no!'. As has been mentioned above finding that the only missions available to you are in Lemuria is one of the truly horrible feeling a Champions character can have.

I like the IDEA of underwater sections, and in Lemuria they really do try and make it good, but it's just a bit horrible.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:50AM Dlangar said

I think a traditional fantasy mmo set in an underwater environment with some arbitrary means by which you can breath is just.. well.. a recipe for disaster.

BUT.. I think there's huge potential for a futuristic underwater mmo with fast, 2-man submersibles, torpedoes and sound-wave guns, fantastic creatures to kill with teams of scuba divers with motorized suits and cool underwater weaponry.. giant domed cities with glass tubes connecting them. Think Seaquest DSV, the MMO. I could *totally* get behind something like that...

Dusty

Posted: May 26th 2011 10:42AM ApathyCurve said

@Dlangar

Yup, this might work -- EVE under the seas, as it were.

One of my favorite Microprose games was Subwar 2050. Fast, maneuverable fighter subs took front stage. I also remember that there were some great stealth missions, (topped only by the stealth missions in the contemporary and highly-underrated Star Crusader). Subwar was very loosely based upon Arthur C. Clarke's novel The Deep Range, one of the very first sci-fi books I read as a young'un. I'd love to see a modern version of Subwar, MMO or otherwise.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:51AM Yellowdancer said

EQ had an underwater dungeon. I found that horrible. 11 years later, underwater areas are still horrible.

This is purely subjective, of course. Some people love underwater content.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:59AM (Unverified) said

I loved both Vashj'ir from Cata and Lemuria from Champs. They made me have to pay closer attention to my surroundings, plus it was a nice break from the regular running animation (particularly with Cata's nice little seahorse mount).

I agree it's underutilized, and I would love to see it used more often. Just because a zone is underwater doesn't mean it has to be all about swimming around. It could be located in a long lost city (ala Atlantis) or in a gigantic cavern system under the sea.

-X

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:00AM Equillian said

I didnt like the water zones in Super Mario Brothers, I didn't like Vashjir in WoW, nor anything in between. The THOUGHT of underwater zones makes me shudder

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:01AM (Unverified) said

Oooh, I like your idea!

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:20AM Carolina said

I loved the underwater zone in WoW, it is the most beautiful zone to me in that game. I do not enjoy underwater combat though, its feels weird.

Rift has beautiful and detailed underwater pieces, even when there is nothing to do there. One of those discovery things and surprises.

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:41AM Pingles said

As in Dark Age of Camelots Atlantis zones the Underwater zones in Cataclysm are gorgeous and awe-inspiring but so difficult to fight in that I have grown to hate them.

GET ME OUTTA HERE!

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:46AM FrostPaw said

an mmo based on a theme like Seaquest DSV with under water visuals would be pretty interesting. Like Waterworld but under water only....no dry land except within the various under water submarines and stations.

Torpedos, harpoons, unmanned exploratory vehicles, mechanicaly armed robot subs, sea monsters, enemy faction submarines intent on sinking your base sub/station. Finding lost treasure and technology under all the coral and silt from ruined cities long swallowed by the sea.

Yes...it could be very nice.