Posted: May 27th 2011 4:54AM Titula said

I said that when I first saw the engineer trailer and will repeat it, I was disgruntled and taken aback. I generally don't mind anything they do in any mmo's and I know a lot of weird decisions just by reading about them, and I'll be playing GW2 for sure but engineer or more specifically the skills they showed us (+ their horrible sounds) are ILL-AT-PLACE. They don't belong to the environment they showed us untill now, they are inadequate, they simply don't fit. When you play a game with 95 % of magic and medieval themes and suddenly you see the roar and the ugliness of an hell's angel motorbike (WoW) or electronic technology out of nowhere when you just left your medieval town, it's WRONG. Arenanet is perfectly right to do what they want with their game and justify it, and I never criticize or propose something or rage in official forums because they certainly better know than I how to develop a mmo and it's their game. But what I felt looking at the vid was really: "WTF is wrong with them just now?" and yeah I nearly face-palmed like "how nice steampunk or whatever is so fashionable infected GW2 too!" :-(

Posted: May 27th 2011 5:46AM Meagen said

@Titula GW2 is not all about "magic and medieval themes". The charr live in metal-plated, steam-powered environments. Divinity's Reach has a distinctly Renaissance look.

Posted: May 27th 2011 11:48AM Okamakiri said

@Titula

I couldn't agree more. With every second game out there being a shooter, I really don't need to hear loud gunshots and explosions in MMOs too. Hope they add an option to mute players and their sound effects.

Posted: May 27th 2011 6:04AM (Unverified) said

Yea I know what you mean, I've been playing Aion lately and it really bugs me that as a Spiritmaster I can only have one spirit active at a time >.>
I miss the days of SoSing :D

Posted: May 27th 2011 8:28AM cliktea said

I was actually thrilled to see a class like the Engineer. I'm even more glad that the game isn't sticking with traditional fantasy themes, personally I'm really tired of it.

Posted: May 27th 2011 8:32AM Elikal said

This: "Players in general are exceptional and unusual figures, heroes who stand out among their people. Just as there are asura warriors and norn necromancers, it's not unheard of for an inquisitive, mechanically-inclined sylvari to become an engineer."

is the best quote I have heard in a long time about MMOs! To hell with all those SWTOR norm characters, like all Chiss are agents and all Twilek are softies! Player SHOULD be able to make weird characters, because they are heroes and stand out from the average!

Posted: May 27th 2011 11:55AM Okamakiri said

@Elikal

While every individual is free to choose what they want to do in life, I think it's pretty obvious that being a warrior as a 50lb asura vs 800lb Norn is going to be quite different. So while, yes, they can all choose to be a melee fighter, it's not realistic that they all fight the same way. I think Lineage 2 handled this issue quite nicely. All races could be melee or casters, with a set of common baseline abilities, but each race had race specific specializations that fit more with that race's physical abilities and lore.

Posted: May 27th 2011 12:27PM Space Cobra said

@Elikal

Agreed, but that explanation has been around for a long time.

It's just many players forget it and apply PC things to NPC things.

Of course, there is the reverse, where we sometimes see an NPC in an unusual occupation that PC can't become (but normally it's stuff like an Orc peace-bringing diplomat).

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:14PM Okamakiri said

@Tempes Magus

Gnome vs Tauren warrior is the first thought that came to my mind, but seeing how this site is plagued with anti-WoW bigots, and this topic is in particular about GW2, I chose not to use that example.

And while I'm not forced to roll an eng, I am forced to listen to their awful sound effects all around me.

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:21PM Okamakiri said

@Tempes Magus

And btw, "The more logical a world we get...the better." supports my statement. What you want is boxing match between Ronnie Coleman and Peter Dinklage.

Posted: May 27th 2011 11:20AM belgeode said

Every time I see the Engineer I keep thinking of full metal jacket:

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine!"

Definitely going to be my main.

Posted: May 27th 2011 1:57PM winterborn said

Well have fun playing it, I am not one for magic Guns, Harleys or Helicopters in a fantasy game plausible or not.

Posted: May 28th 2011 2:46AM Seldra said

Wow really, there's already a controversy? Like I said before, fantasy shouldn't be defined by Tolkien or Gygaxian vision, I praise them both for their contribution in laying the foundations of modern fantasy settings but their ideas shouldn't be law. In fact I think it's time to move past them. Games like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, dot/Hack, meld many settings from futuristic to present day and still maintain the fantasy feel.

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:09PM Hyne said

Wait people are complaining about the technology feeling out of place in a fantasy game? Sorry if this was already mentioned but has not one of these idiots looked at WoW? You got motorcycles, tanks, helicopters and I think I saw some planes.

Just because it says its a fantasy game doesn't mean they're going to be restricted to timelines where all they fought with was swords and shields and rode on horses for transportation unless the developer says otherwise.

The fact that ArenaNet stated the game was set 250 years ago since well pretty much the first day the second game was brought up justifies the technology advancement and always shows me people don't fricking read and can't grasp that things eventually have to grow.

Seriously get over it. Theres still a big difference between Fantasy and Sci Fi and this game hasn't crossed that line even the slightest.

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:11PM Hyne said

@Hyne I'm sorry typo mistake.

Set 250 years LATER*

Posted: May 31st 2011 2:21AM (Unverified) said

Fantasy
fan·ta·sy (fnt-s, -z)
n. pl. fan·ta·sies
1. The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.
2. Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
3. A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.
4. a. Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.
b. An example of such fiction.
5. An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
6. An unrealistic or improbable supposition.

ENOUGH SAID.