Posted: May 26th 2011 9:18PM Kordor said

• Half a heart
@Tempes Magus
This does not make any sense at all.
If you are saying that WoW is limiting itself you must be kidding or have no idea what you are talking about.
WoW got firearms, bombs, mines, aircrafts, helicopters, tanks, submarines and even spaceships. And they are also working with radioactive substances.

That said, my opnion of that is exactly the opposite. I basically prefer two things: A serious setting, where the world is based upon logic. Meaning magic may exist, but things like "we are able to build submarines but still fight with swords" are not my taste as they aren't "logical".
In addition I also prefer a low-tech fantasy world anyways. Like in Lords of the Rings or the German "Das Schwarze Auge" or even in Conan.

So for me the implementation of the engineer is a big malus as it damages the setting I prefer in two ways.

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:45PM Jade Effect said

Oh please let there be chainsaws you can fix to assault rifles!

Brrrr, brrrrr, brrrrrrrrrrrrr! Gimme some sugar, baby

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:49PM NazTH said

@starchildren3317 same here, my Norn engineer is going to be my main, love the skills love the style it plays.

Posted: May 26th 2011 10:23PM winterborn said

• Half a heart
Oh well I was going to check this game out but I hate modern tech or sci fi things thrown into a fantasy setting.

They should have done this class with magic rather than bullets.

Good luck to them.

Posted: May 27th 2011 5:02AM Daeths said

@winterborn This is whats going to keep you from one of the biggest mmo releases pretty much ever (wow expansions and all excluded)? There have been guns in the game for a long time and theve been no secret.

Posted: May 26th 2011 10:29PM winterborn said

• Half a heart
If a world has the technology for guns and guns make blades and armor a thing of the past then why would anyone bother with them. Everyone would have guns, some things have to relate to common sense or they break the reality of that world.

AC2 had a Eng. class that had turrets etc. but it was all magic based not technology based.

Never played WoW but they have this crap in it and I did not play Rift in part due to its sci fi and fantasy mix. Time machines and robots or guns to me dont mix with sowrds and armor.

But to each thier own I suppose.

Posted: May 27th 2011 1:29AM Valdamar said

@winterborn
Historically blades, bows and armour were being used on the battlefield alongside gunpowder firearms for over 6 centuries, both in China and Europe, from the 1300s through the 1800s. Melee was still a big part of warfare all the way up to the first world war.

In the Napoleonic era (early 1800s) most soldiers still had smoothbore muskets (with bayonets for melee, as a lot of skirmishes still ended in melees) that were very innaccurate and could only fire 2-4 rounds per minute (depending on how well trained the troops were) - a trained archer with a longbow would be able to fire more shots with greater accuracy over a greater range, but because it was easier to train a man to use a musket (days) compared to a longbow (years) firearms became more popular over time.

Heck, in the Napoleonic era both the British and French armies were still using lancers as mounted cavalry, with plate breastplates and helms, despite the fact most infantry were carrying muskets.

Now imagine a world like GW2's Tyria, where instead of battles with thousands on each side you have individual heroes battling handfuls of enemies - it's not so hard to imagine some heroes preferring a bow or even a sword over a gun, is it?

We already know the Guild Wars 2 world is undergoing its own industrial revolution, so it's basically in that same transitional period from pre-industrial to post-industrial - a world where the reliability of the old weapons is still preferred by many over the new weapons. Throw in an element we never had in our world - magic - and it's not hard to imagine enchanted blades and bows being as lethal as firearms.

I'm sure when everyone is fully aware of the lore and the developments in the world since GW1 we'll see how well it all fits.

Posted: May 27th 2011 5:12AM Daeths said

@Valdamar Absolutely true and very well put. Only thing I would add is that early fire arms did indeed have trouble penetrating heavier armor and so a knight had a really fair chance of surviving a musket shot or two. That and explosives, early incendiary hand grenades, and primitive flame throwers were used as early as the crusades (what the 13th century on through the 15th?) where knights and archers were very common place. So a grenade throwing, mine laying musket/early-era riffle is well with in the realm of possibility in a world predominated by warriors and the like.

Posted: May 27th 2011 8:38AM (Unverified) said

@Daeths

This conversation always seems to forget that we're not talking about guns versus swords, we're talking about MAGIC guns versus MAGIC swords. The effectiveness of such weapons cannot be propped up by how our history unfolded.

Maybe a magic sword in our universe with magic armor and magic skills would kick an entire Black Ops squadron's ass? Even with all their tanks and guns and grenades? Open your mind.

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:46PM Sean D said

@Valdamar

If I could, I would rate your post up 'til it turned green. It's an excellent historical example for those here arguing that the existence of swordplay and firearms in the same universe isn't 'logical'. Well done, sir.

Sean

Posted: May 26th 2011 11:54PM (Unverified) said

The author of this article seems to not know what the actual controversy is about. First of all there is some tech that is just weird when it comes to the engineer. They use muskets, but they have a electronic beeping landmine with LED light? They have a turret that has a hand crank on it and use a black powder keg in addition to their alchemal grenades? It really is pretty inconsistent on their level of tech. If all their gadgets and gear had a more consistent theme and tech, like all of it was steampunk, then there would be a lot less controversy.

Posted: May 27th 2011 5:16AM Daeths said

@(Unverified) besides the light on the mine (which is necessary for visual clues the player requires while playing the game) muskets, grenades mines and cranked minigun turrets are not all that off in actual world time periods. given that its another world id say that its not too far fetched

Posted: May 27th 2011 9:40AM KvanCetre said

@(Unverified)
This is a reason I hate the internet. I get not liking the beep. I dont think it fits.

Rational: "Hey Anet, beeping feels out of place. Maybe ticking would work better?"

Internet: "OMG WHAT IS ANET DOING I'M NEVER BUYING GW2 BECAUSE CLEARLY NOTHING CAN CHANGE FROM FIRST VIDEO TO RELEASE FFFUUUUUUUUU"

Posted: May 27th 2011 3:48AM (Unverified) said

Ritualists are my one true love, but at the least the elementalist is still there, If I cant bring ghosts into the realm of the living then I can sure as hell rain fire down upon the earth...

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:03AM Cavadus said

People are high, this shit looks awesome. I had absolutely no interest whatsoever in GW2 but after reading about the engineer I'm for sure going to buy the game. The class concept just proves that ANet will do whatever it thinks is awesome and slave itself to exhausted and stereotypical MMO norms (thank the gods).

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:03AM Cavadus said

@Cavadus Argh, meant to type "...thinks is awesome rather than slave itself to exhausted and stereotypical MMO norms..."

Posted: May 27th 2011 5:14AM Daeths said

@Cavadus besides the light on the mine (which is necessary for visual clues the player requires while playing the game) muskets, grenades mines and cranked minigun turrets are not all that off in actual world time periods. given that its another world id say that its not too far fetched

Posted: May 27th 2011 5:16AM Daeths said

@Daeths woops, post went to wrong person. truly sorry about that

Posted: May 27th 2011 2:31AM Saerain said

I'm not interested in the engineer class, but that ‘nature vs technology’ arbitrary and false dichotomy referred to in the last paragraph really annoys me....

Posted: May 27th 2011 3:46AM Ziltod said

Open-mindedness in MMOs? What for? Let's be young and conservative instead!
Every spark of originality should be welcomed... in an ideal world anyway.
*sigh*