Posted: May 25th 2011 8:12AM jealouspirate said

I think animal-themed characters can be great. I like the Tauren in WoW, and going back to games like Final Fantasy IX I liked all the funny animal-people in that game (ie pompous, fat walrus-aristocrats with bushy mustache).

What I do not like is when they're designed to be 'sexy'. I think that's why there's so much hate against cat-girls in particular. Unfortunately the 'sexy' versions of animal-people seem to be more and more prominent these days.

In conclusion, more Chronicles of Narnia, less Playboy.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:38AM Tom in VA said

@jealouspirate

I agree with you completely. That pic, for example, not only makes me want to avoid the race, but the game as well, much like the ludicrous horned-race characters in TERA. It fairly screams "cheesy" to me.

Hypersexualized characters (regardless of race, animal-based or otherwise) suggest to me that a game is trying to compensate using T&A what it lacks in real quality.

That said, I love playing a tauren druid in WoW; both the natural forms (tauren) and the animal forms (cat, bear) are really well done.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:45AM jealouspirate said

@Tom in VA

Yeah, I feel the same way. Thanks for that clarification too - it's not that I think sexy animal people = bad and everything else is fine, I just don't like hyper-sexuality of any kind in games.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:58AM Beau Hindman said

@jealouspirate You two just put it perfectly.

Beau

Posted: May 25th 2011 12:56PM SFGamer69 said

@Tom in VA

And then there are those who actually enjoy the hyper-sexual character designs. If a game forces only this type of design on you during it's character selection/creation, then seems you should move on to another game. But, if this happens to just be one option of many in the game, then you pick what appeals to you. I can never understand why there always seem to be a minority that feel they are obligated to remove options from others because that particular option is unappealing to them.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:16PM Averice said

@Tom in VA

I disagree. Ugly animals and characters? Why are those even in games? As a joke? okay. For anything else? pointless.

I don't mind when other people play ugly/non awesome looking characters, but I'm not about to. WoW Tauren male? Awesome looking. WoW Human male? So horrible. Rift High Elf Female? One of the ugliest walking animations I've seen, damn thing looks like it has a growth on its back when it tries to move.

Image doesn't even look "hyper-sexualized" to me. Just looks like a cat person not wearing any clothes. Does "hyper-sexualized" mean that they look like furry humanoids?

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:57PM Fakeassname said

@jealouspirate

I call it the Star Trek effect: if Kirk can't bang it's women, then you know that Alien race is gonna be one of the bad guys ... with the exception of the hyper hot seductress type, and those are gonna be the super bad guys.

Posted: May 25th 2011 4:07PM PaterFrog said

@Fakeassname I so laughed my ass off!

Posted: May 25th 2011 5:05PM Tom in VA said

@SFGamer69

"I can never understand why there always seem to be a minority that feel they are obligated to remove options from others because that particular option is unappealing to them."

I did NOT advocate removing such hypersexualized classes/character options from a game.

Rather, I said I would remove myself from the game. There's a significant difference.

When I see that kind of design decision (which, imo, generally reflects badly on the game overall), it deters me from the game altogether. For them as likes it, more power to you.

Posted: May 26th 2011 11:25AM kalipou134 said

looks hawt

Posted: May 27th 2011 3:55PM (Unverified) said

@Tom in VA If it's actively putting people off, there's a legitimate argument that someone is Doing It Wrong. Sexy costumes is one thing... but when it's ridiculous, and everywhere, there's a problem. Take TERA for example. That's a game where the female costume design alone guaranteed that I and everyone I know will never give it a second glance. I'm not an unusual person here... I think that these designs were a bad decision.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:13AM Grumms said

Honestly, I could care less what the games races are, as long as I have a race I like and want to play.

Hell, I even look forward to killing them.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:26AM Matix said

@Grumms "If you want to play a "furry", go for it. Why should I care? It's not MY character. Hell, I even look forward to killing them."

Two comments in and you already take the win!

I do feel strongly about being able to play zoomorphic characters in that if they fit the IP and the lore, I should be able to do so. I'm pro-zoomorph not only because of my stance that OPTIONS = GOOD, but also that I actually like going around as an animal. It's feral, it's ferocious, and it's a lead-in to endless jokes about being house-broken.

As I hinted at, the sole exception is when it violates the IP/lore. For example, I don't think that an authentic Wild West MMO should throw in, for example, Fish people, because, ya'know, zoomorphs are in right now.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:33AM Grumms said

@Matix Completely agree. As long as the race fits the lore, why not?!

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:06AM (Unverified) said

@Grumms

I already have a hard time recruiting friends to try out MMOs that don't have hyper-sexualized animal classes in them. The genre is sadly still a stigma in many social circles and this kind of content is a downright sprint backwards from overcoming that.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:14AM (Unverified) said

I like them just fine and would play one too. Have played zoomorphs, demons, robots, mutants, humans, and so on....all were fun. I suspect the objections have to do with the catgirl stigma which seems to follow them everywhere, whether rightly or wrongly deserved. Nyar.

While everyone is entitled to their personal preference here, it seems to me MMO's and the virtual space are akin to a huge playhouse to do all sorts of stuff you couldn't in real life. Why someone would limit themselve to just playing humans doesn't make sense.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:17AM Addfwyn said

Doesn't really bother me that much, if that's your thing, have at it. It's a fantasy universe, I don't need 8 different varieties of elf and human, some different races are fine with me.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:26AM InkSix said

Makes me like the MMO more. I like hybrids. I don't like the full-on furryness, but FFXIV's catgirls, bam, luv it. Perfect.

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:09AM (Unverified) said

@InkSix

Same here. I don't personally like the anthropomorphic "furry"-like characters like in Archeage or Avatar; but love the Venomancers in PWI, the Miqo'te in FF IV, and the Elin in Tera. So for me "cat-girls" are awesome, but. "furries" ....not so much.

Posted: May 25th 2011 8:27AM JuliusSeizure said

I'm not particularly fond of the ...let's call them "lifestylers" but otherwise, it's just a thing. Anthropomorphism can make for powerful mythic archetypes, or it can just look interesting.

Some people just ruin it for everyone.