Posted: May 25th 2011 2:16AM Faction 3 said

The interview kinda throws me, the Intro (or "Before the Cut") don't really mention AoC & F2P at all besides the picture.

So is AoC going the way of LotRO? The interview kinda sways, and I didn't find a straight answer (Im sure I missed it in there somewhere...).

I just started my "Endless" Free Trial like....literally today, long before I read this, about Noon Central time, and played for about an hour. And LOVED it. I was actually contemplating on buying it after work, but I'd like to get a bit more info. If theres a Hybrid model involved, I'd like to know what the details would be.

Good game, I must say.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:18AM Faction 3 said

@Faction 3 Found it...

"much as it did Anarchy Online's -- BY TROTTING IT OUT AGAIN."

There it is....

It would've kicked me in the ass if it had legs.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:34AM Jef Reahard said

@Faction 3

Yes AoC is going to a hybrid/F2P model. I was hoping to have a news post up before this interview but it didn't work out.

We'll have the details on the plans and whatnot later today.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:16AM uberman3000 said

I knew it just a matter of time before this happened. I can't wait!

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:51AM Lateris said

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:54AM pcgneurotic said

Well bugger me backwards and call me Lucy! This is some fine, happy-making news to start the day with! Bravo Funcom, bravo!

I purchased AoC ages ago, but never subbed at all after the first free month - I couldn't, and still can't - afford it (esp. now that Rift has arrived), but once again, a great game is made greater by the possibility of being able to play it at any time.

I guess it just remains to say, bring out the haters!

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:10AM JuliusSeizure said

Well, I'll give it a go. *thumbs up*

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:15AM JuliusSeizure said

@JuliusSeizure

Wait... Unrated? Does that mean "illegal in Australia"? *sadface*

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:22AM Jef Reahard said

Here's a couple of links to the plans until we can get the announcement post up:

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:24AM Plastic said

Great news. I really hope this, along with the new movie, breathes some life into the game. It's just a shame that my lvl 80 Dark Templar won't be one of the free classes available. Still, I think their choice in the free classes (Guardian, Barbarian, Demonologist, and Priest of Mitra) was wise.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:35AM bobfish said

@Plastic

The class choices are sensible, but none of mine are there either.

Not sure I'll bother, as you don't get AAs either which make a massive difference.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:40AM Plastic said

@bobfish

They say that "Free players can however purchase items to enable AA point gain in the item shop"

Considering how important AA can be in PvP, I don't know how well this is going to go over. I guess it will depend on the cost, but I definitely think they should have left all skill and feat progression out of the cash shop. I wonder if they plan to beta-test and get feedback like Turbine did with LOTRO.

Posted: May 25th 2011 7:18AM bobfish said

@Plastic

That to me sounds like a consumable... take this item and earn AA XP for # amount of time. And given how much of a grind AAs are, that would be a lot more expensive than simply subscribing.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:53AM Ardanwen said

I'm not a fan of F2P, but I guess it will be good to see more players in the game.

Some things that I really hope they'll change in the model they've proposed now though:
- There needs to be a third "pillar": people who have bought the game, but aren't subbed. Those people should get more options than the free-to-play ones, but less than the subbing people. After all they DID pay for the game. For example: give them access to all classes. They didn't pay €50 for a game to only have 4 classes available to them..

- Sub + "having" to buy from the shop is plainly ripping people off. The reason of the LOTRO success is that subs also got free points to spend in the shop. It's a way of showing respect to the people who have supported and remain to support your game with constant cashflow. These are the people you should thank, not shake their last pennies from.
If we don't get free points, at least give a much bigger discount than 5%, because that's simply ridiculous :).

- The mention of purchasable weapons and armours make me cringe.

Posted: May 25th 2011 5:46AM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
Who cares ? Its Funcom and thats pretty much the only thing ppl need to know. Last thing they care about is the gamer - like the AOC launch pretty much proved. Expect heavy fees for extra crap. Maybe they are charging for DX11 ?

Posted: May 25th 2011 5:48AM markt50 said

I'm sure I'll get down voted for this, but all the same, I'm really sad to hear this news. Two area's in particular concern me. Firstly the fact they seem to have ruled out everything being available to subscribers (Even at a higher subscription fee), secondly the fact they admit to putting stat based items up for sale. This just turns out horrible if not done right. Look at how horrible Champions Online is since the move to F2P, they reduced the drop rates for health, Damage and Energy buffs by 90% so they could sell pots from the store and ruined the game. I can only imagine how bad it will be in a PvP focused game like AoC.

He was not entirelly correct when he says's that "People after all have an easy choice there -- if they object to vanity purchases in principle, then they don't have to buy them.", They have another choice, the choice to simply stop playing. I will not be renewing my yearly subscription to AoC once it runs out in a few months :(

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:04AM Chiren said

@markt50

As someone who played CO before... I agree with you 100%. I can't play Cryptic games any more - everywhere you poke and turn in the game there's a little button that you can press to buy something.

I like MMOs for the immersion, and there's nothing as immersion-breaking as a constant reminder that some players are more equal than others.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:02PM bertone said

@markt50 I read on the forums that any items you buy will have lower stats than raid and lvl 80 dungeon items. Lvl 80 blue item stats vary alot and I don't know if they mean all dungeons.

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:44PM markt50 said

@bertone

Stat items are stat items to me, they could put an item on the store that gives '+1 naval fluff picking' and I'd be cancelling quicker than a hacker can break into SOE. More concerning is this from the community manager on the forums:

"About the question what sort of weapons and armor might be available in the in-game store. There will be some power to the items sold in the store, but at least for now no items that can match the rewards gotten from dungeons and raids."

So they are already willing to sell items with power, and might even put items up that match dungeon and raid rewards given the empashise on 'at least for now'. Seems they decided to just skip the usual slope by saying it will only be fluff, only be cosmetic etc. and just jump straight into the pay to win scenario.

Such a shame to see more and more games going this way :( Don't get me wrong, as much as I despise this F2P model for these very negative changes to gameplay imho, I'll make my arguments against F2P politely and without a fuss and then move on, I mean there is one part of me wishes them to be successful as I actually enjoy the game, but I just cannot continue to play a game if it goes F2P and sells stat items, just the way I am, there seems to be something hardwired in me that is against it.

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:07AM Space Cobra said

Well, call me hornswaggled on a rainy day in the Arizona desert!

Not more than 2 days ago, I left a comment and finally quit holding my tongue in and stated, that it's been so long and we heard nothing about this, AoC wouldn't go F2P.

And now, here it is!

Maybe I should open my mouth more and change other aspects of the world? :P

Sheesh, what a difference a day or two makes!