Posted: May 25th 2011 1:05PM Syesta said

Almost rest assured it's going to be a new IP.
I just wonder who is working on it, given that all of SE's primary development teams are working on other projects.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is some joint venture with another dev, like DreamFactory or Level-5.

Level-5...

Oh man, maybe it's the return of True Fantasy Live?!

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:00PM Monkey D Luffy said

@Syesta. It's most likely a Dragon Quest MMO since it would be a sure thing.

I really doubt SE would take that big of a gamble with creating a new IP and spending over 5 years developing it with the chance that it could be a failure like everything they release (with the few exceptions of Squaresoft FF remakes, DQ and anime), especially with all the losses they've had lately.

I believe Level-5 develops Dragon Quest too.

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:54PM Unshra said

@Monkey D Luffy You never know we just might see a Deus Ex, Tomb Raider or Theif MMO :-P As unlikely as they might be I know I would like to see the world of Deus Ex make the transition.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:11PM BubleFett said

If they use the same UI, questing and no jumping in game
count me out.
They first have to show that the changes in FFXIV will bring
back players. Including me.

Posted: May 25th 2011 5:27PM SnarlingWolf said

@BubleFett

I saw this article and the first thing that popped into my head is "Maybe they should focus on trying to make one decent MMO before they try to make several more craptastic MMOs"

It is companies like this (and Cryptic) that make the MMO industry look like an antiquated joke that doesn't know how to make a solid game.

Posted: May 26th 2011 9:17PM tchuks said

@BubleFett

Of the top 3 things you mentioned were game breakers.... JUMPING was one of them. If you could not jump in an MMO, this would prevent you from purchasing it?

You would cancel an MMO subscription if you loved the questing, enemies, graphics, but it was lacking JUMP?

I just want to ask you why you like jumping? When have you used "JUMP" in an MMORPG, and was it to advance the dungeon or reach an inaccessible area?

I'm not a fan of FFXIV either, I am just really intrigued by the fact that the top 3 drawbacks of the game for you (there are many more) includes "no jumping".

Please here for everyone to know?

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:18PM Solp said

When FF14 is up to snuff, this news may be more relevant.

Posted: May 26th 2011 11:24AM kalipou134 said

When Sony can keep their servers up, this may be relevant

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:23PM Arkanaloth said

I'm not sure if this is brave or crazy on their part... All I do know is that I was very excited and jumped into FF14 only to be *incredibly* disappointed. I'll be EXTREMELY wary of this new offering.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:23PM Chiren said

*falls over*

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:24PM Eamil said

I hope to God they didn't take the guy they fired from FF14 and put him to work on this.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:43PM Irem said

@Eamil
If the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results, that would definitely qualify.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:24PM Dumac said

I approve and am excited to hear more details.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:26PM (Unverified) said

It must have been 10 years ago now, but I remember at one time Square was discussing a 'feudal japan with magic and mysticism' MMO. It sounded like Nobunaga's Ambition meets Tolkien or something like that.

I just hope they change up the style a bit, no matter what they come up with. I'm getting a bit tired of all the Advent Children-looking stuff.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:30PM (Unverified) said

/laughes self out of chair

I have to think this is the white flag over XIV, I had a feeling the code is so screwed up, that only bandaid fixes will be possible, The world structure it self, limits a ton of what can be done with XIV. SE can't be so off the ball in the MMO world, they burned ALOT of players.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:14PM Gojant said

@(Unverified)

This x10.

The fact that its taken 7 months only to get minor tweaks says this exact thing to me. All new items added are superficial at best and require /text commands to use them ingame. I forgot, is it 2011? Cant we code things and get windows to confirm changes? Drag and Drop type menus weren't invented before Oct. 2010 was it?

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:17PM kunic said

@(Unverified) The dev's are contemplating adding zones to the areas. They realize that having such large areas limits the variance in art and such. Zoning would fix that.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:52PM (Unverified) said

@kunic

I'm not sure they'll invest in zone recreation, your probably right about expansion zones. There so much foundation programing that's just screwed u[, and it can become such a money pit, essential their remaking the game on unstable ground. It's to costly.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:36PM Alex Oglitchkin said

Kingdom Hearts MMO here we come.... All I know is that whatever MMO they are working on they better think about the US/EU market and not their market if they want to make a big splash.

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:07PM Space Cobra said

@Alex Oglitchkin

I was thinking the same, but they'd have to work with Disney and split the profits. Then there's the question of if Disney would allow them in this case to do it, since they also have an MMO studio. MMOs being a different department from single-player games.

Kingdom Hearts, IMO, would be the odds-on-favorite of IP choice, but they certainly have other IPs. Again, IMO, they should do something different (not FF-related, sorry Ivalice fans). So that means Dragon Quest or the other IPs.

I wouldn't mind a totally new IP, as Systa mentioned in the first reply, That would be a so very "Square Soft thing to do". We just have to see.

There is even target audience to consider and complexity. They do have a nice history of wanting complexity, but will they make a simple MMO for the kids in this case?