Posted: May 25th 2011 10:14AM Laren said

Hope they can make it work.

Nothing is free. So all these 'free' to play or 'freemium' tweak me the wrong way. I've played a few, and just can't get over the fact that I am going to have to pay a nickel or dime for this and that. In the end, it wouldn't cost me anymore then a regular subscription, but... I dunno...just haven't been able to move past that...

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:27AM (Unverified) said

I love when people complain about not being able to compete with paying customers aka people who are paying for you to play the game for free.This not free to play game it is a Hybrid sub mode gamel.You purposely put yourself at disadvantage for the opportunity to play for free.

AoC is a subscription game with a free to play option.Just because you are playing a mmo does mean you are entitled to everything .It is like somebody eating in a restaurant for free but they are getting bread and water complaining about the customers around eating meals that they paid money for.

The words free to play are most deceiving words in mmo market,video games are not charities their is nothing such a free to play game excuse me correction their is nothing such as "completely free to play game".All games have to make money and that being the case paying customers will always have advantage over nonpaying customers.

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:30AM Zantom said

I just wish there was a F2P game that was good. Everyone I played (I bought most of them and unsubbed) just didn't have enough to keep me the first time (LOTRO, EQ2, CO, now AoC). But after they are free it doesn't make them any funner. I have a LOT of other options that ARE fun, even if they cost me money. I understand it helps bring in new players and is a great way to get people to try the game, but in the end the game is no different from when I left before. I didn't leave because of the money, I left because it wasn't fun for me.

My time isn't free. Games also cost my time no matter what you charge.

I guess I am just saying that F2P should be a choice of revenue, not a last ditch effort to stay alive. Instead, find out why your game isn't fun and fix that. In AoC I just couldn't find a class that I liked to play.

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:39AM aurickle said

The bottom line is that Funcom had two variants of the hybrid model currently live in today's market to compare: LotRO and EQ2e. One is a success and the other has fizzled more than it's flown. In typical Funcom fashion, they refuse to learn from the industry.

Asheron's Call never became a runaway success with this model, so why are they set on repeating it?

I will say one thing. Despite my history with AoC's launch I'd been tentatively interested in Secret World until today. The fact that Funcom continues to bungle this badly moves me firmly into the "wait six months after launch" category with that title.

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:59AM Thorqemada said

Ok, finally they move to a new payment system.
ATM i am quite disapointed, as a player that has played AoC for >2 Years.
The differences between a Premium Account and a F2P account with all its restriction do cut deep.
In my case playing a Necro as main and having my inventory and bank to 90% stuffed with items how am i motviated to take this as oportunity to play now and then and spending some Money if i am eager for some item in their shop when my F2P account is restricted to 4 classes and none of them a Necromancer and my storage already full but cut down to 50%.
I dont want to start another class and do i have random access to my storage or is the abundance of items randonly thrown away or what?
As of now i feel this is a nightmare offer and not an oportunity to take!

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:05AM Lateris said

@Thorqemada The inventory size is getting increased so not to worry on that.

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:01AM Lateris said

Some of these names who are complaining are the very same who voiced they wanted AoC to go free to play. And in typical fashion people complain about having cheerios with sugar and milk and a full belly. Damned if you try and damned if you don't.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:59PM Lateris said

@(Unverified) Ah- I see your point. For me I am just going to continue to subscribe. I dont really care for free to play as it stands anyways.

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:02AM Thorqemada said

The F2P modell i liked the most so far is that of Perfect World with its Guardian and Spirit Charms which translate into a perfect Pay per Activity modell and their Fluff shop with mounts and outfits for the extravaganza.

Posted: May 25th 2011 12:01PM ZachDude said

Meh. I liked the game when I played it. And I will play it again. As long as not a lot of people^ bad mouth the game and run people off. Wonder what Jeff thinks of this.

Posted: May 25th 2011 12:02PM Dits said

So people are moaning about getting a game for free? Current subscribers and future are keeping everything they had and can carry on as normal. Where's the problem?

Only on the internet

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:43PM wondersmith said

"Okay guys, we're going F2P. We have the choice of imitating LotRO's smashingly successful business model or EQ II Extended's abysmal failure. Obviously, being Funcom, we'll go for the latter option."

I had hoped for AoC to go F2P, but not like this.

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:50PM Dumac said

Wow, looks like they're gonna bork the relaunch too.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:43PM Faryon said

Good luck with this Funcom, I don't like the subscription model, but I really hope this move will give the game some much needed new blood.

I'm still not going to play it though.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:49PM Ardanwen said

When people who pay a monthly sub would still need to buy stuff from the cash shop, then something is wrong. Giving a 5% discount is really laughable. Either give Premium players each month some Funcom points they can spend on the shop, or seriously increase the discount. Anything below 50% is simply ripping-off your most loyal customers. You should be thanking and rewarding those players, not try and shake every last dime out of their pockets.

I really, really hope Funcom will reconsider not giving premiums free Funcom points. Or at least consider increasing the discount. If I'm paying 14 euros a month, I don't want to pay even more cash for potions, weapons, ...

The reason LOTRO's hybrid model is so succesful is exactly because Turbine -does- reward its subscribers with Turbine points.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:15PM Yarr said

Well, I have AoC:RotGS ordered and set to arrive in a week or so, as several friends like the game and I thought what the heck, for $10 (including S&H) I'd check it out for a month after using the trial to choose a class to play. Now it looks like I'll get to keep playing it after my 'free' month from the box. Time to get the trial downloaded and try out the classes.

Looking forward to reading Jef's AoC column now that I'll have some idea of what the heck he is talking about. :)

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:31PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

If you've played AoC at any time in the past, all the classes and all the content that you had access to before will still be available to you even if you opt to F2P right now.

As for the people who start to play AoC only now via F2P, they can reach all the areas - RotGS excluded - of the open world as well and level to level cap.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:38PM Bladerunner83 said

Whats stopping all those kids from checking out free clevage? Are they making the free version PG with underwear? I can see it now, topless women everywhere!

Posted: May 25th 2011 4:18PM (Unverified) said

Ugh..I had played it during the original buggy release of AOC back in 2008 but unsubscribed 5 months after it went live. I have been back a few times but not enough to warrant a subscription. When i Read the news on massively i was pretty pumped..Until I read the limitations of the free subscription, even for those of us who actually went out and bought a copy of the game there is no perk to come back. Heck even LOTRO rewarded prior game owners and subscribers when it went F2P. Funcom at its finest i guess.

Posted: May 25th 2011 5:18PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

? You can play as F2P all the classes and all the open-world content if you've bought AoC and the expansion in the past and played them.
Sounds like a good deal to me.