Posted: May 25th 2011 10:49AM jealouspirate said

These kind of announcements can be so misleading. I registered and played for about 15 minutes, long enough to decide I wasn't interested. Does that count as part of the 2 million? Do they offer a definition of 'registered player' anywhere?

Posted: May 25th 2011 1:35PM Lenn said

@jealouspirate Exactly. Same here.

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:19PM Space Cobra said

@jealouspirate

IMO, I think it is interesting that it took 3 month's to get to the 2 million mark, even accounting for all the lookee-loos and those signing on once compared to a game like free realms, which did the same (counting lookee-loos) in under a month; in fact, I think they had 5 million by 3 month's time.

Also, other similar f2p games achieved these "bolstered" number of players faster; IMO, it doesn't speak to well for the game (which I have yet to try).

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:54PM sortius said

@jealouspirate Yeh, the same has been said about World of Tanks, they just announced 3m accounts, 690k on the NA server. Never seen it get above 15k on the server at one time.

I really think these stats are BS and give no indication of how a game is going. Think about it, even just the visitors of this site would bump the numbers up, and I've not seen anything really positive said about this "game".

Posted: May 25th 2011 9:12PM Zethe said

@jealouspirate

I signed up for the game but couldn't get it working, Technically im still one of those two million players, although i've never played.

Posted: May 25th 2011 10:52AM SnarlingWolf said

Please see my post on WoT 2 million mark about how utterly pointless and meaningless that number is.

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:10AM Rayko said

I have a feeling some interesting math was used to come up with that number.

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:36PM Omali said

@Rayko

Not interesting math. Having 2 million accounts really isn't a major achievement. Having two million paying accounts, now that's an achievement.

If you consider the normal distribution of customers, 1.7 million won't pay a dime, 200k will pay a little, and 100k will pay more.

Personally the best thing going for the game is its soundtrack. Maybe if all of my current MMOs/online games go offline simultaneously I'll play. Can't find any reason to invest money in the game though.

Posted: May 25th 2011 11:17AM pcgneurotic said

Anticipation for this was huuuuge, esp. with the fans of the new tv series. Now it's out though, and all I hear is a resounding silence!

Posted: May 25th 2011 12:54PM placebonation said

Honestly I wont take it seriously until it stops being a web based game. I am a fan boy of the series. The theme song gets me all riled up. But it just needs more .... something.

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:37PM Equillian said

@placebonation

ooh ooh! I know I know!!! Fun.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:06PM Sente said

I think it is fine to run in a web browser, although have not been particularly impressed with it, although has some nice pieces.

I think I must have registered at least 3 times though, since could not get it to actually send back something to me to reset my password.

So the quote there is saying "we have been busy fixing bugs to make the game work during the past 3 months and now we are at a point where it is more stable and we can start to look at improving the content".

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:37PM sheepy said

Bigpoint like to blow there own trumpet, nothing like a bit of propaganda.

Posted: May 25th 2011 2:38PM sheepy said

Agree, I too registered, never played since...

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:36PM Equillian said

2 million people logged in, realized the crap, shed a single tear for BSG, and logged out.

Posted: May 25th 2011 6:19PM Ryukan said

It would be interesting to know how many ACTIVE accounts there are.

Posted: May 25th 2011 7:31PM Graill440 said

Agee, Active is the key word, more likely 2 million tried it and didnt like it. The one time i tried it there werent more than 30 folks on, far short of any offtime avg they could hope to claim.

And on a side note Bigpoint morons (the company, not the fans), forcing folks to register so you can claim numbers makes you look really frakking stupid. These people took lessons from Steam obviously.

Posted: May 26th 2011 8:14AM Fabius Bile said

its the standard F2P marketing model, they will always tell you about registered olayers, not active players.

another reason why F2P companies are as dishonest as you can get in this world. I wouldnt consider playing a F2P game even if my life depended on it...

Posted: May 26th 2011 11:24AM Budukahn said

I really liked the game. The setting and the way it was a web game was something I was rather impressed with. I got into a few big fleet battles and those were very impressive. That said, I haven't played it since two days after launch - my play time taken up with other titles and the game feels a bit light on content. I did three mission on Galactica and was then stuck with nothing more exciting than the local equivalent of a daily quest.

I have two accounts, since I can't play Cylon and Colonial on the same faction. Niether have been played for months. That's what counts as "registered players"

One Shots: Cruising for Borg

Posted on Dec 22nd 2014 10:00AM

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM