Posted: May 24th 2011 2:33PM hereafter said

Something Daniel Erickson said about Twi'leks on the Imperial Side:

"Hey folks,

We have Twi'leks for the Imperial side. They even get some cool custom options. And we have aliens in the SI class since the story starts you as a slave, one of the first to try your hand at being a Sith. So it's definitely something we could do. But the SI has a lot of hoods and a lot of awesome full face masks.

How do people feel about your Lekku actually disappearing when you put on that full face mask? Are having Twi'lek SI with all the cool gear options worth assuming you are doing some artful stuffing? Or should we just say you can be a Twi'lek SI but not wear anything that wouldn't fit on your big crazy head?

Thoughts?

Daniel Erickson"

So it seems that they're considering Twi'lek SI's and trying to decide how to handle the Lekku when it comes to head armor. Also the general statement "We have Twi'leks for the Imperial side" suggests they are in for at least one other class aside from the SI, probably Bounty Hunter if I had to guess.

Posted: May 24th 2011 3:00PM Ordegar said

• 1 heart
Do we know for sure that every Sith Inquisitor will have the same "slave" story? If so, seriously??? Every one??

A story-driven mmo, where everyone with the same class has the same story. I am getting so tired of that.

Posted: May 24th 2011 3:29PM Needless said

@Ordegar Do you even realise how much work is beeing put into giving every class it's very own story? The Voice-dialogue is probably huuuuge. If you are getting tired of that, without even trying it, then i suggest you run off into the hole you came from.

Great post Larry!

Posted: May 24th 2011 4:05PM Resurge said

@Ordegar What exactly would you suggest instead? a million unique storylines - one for each of us who ever play the game? Maybe a random quest story generator ..cause RNG is always so much fun. A different story for every race/class combo? (i can hear the moaning already --"Stupid SWTOR, I HAVE to be human cause i hate the Zabrak story!")

Regardless of where the line is drawn ..there are finite amounts of story available. At SOME point, they just have to go "Ok, that's how many origins we are gonna offer". 8 classes ..8 storylines which perhaps then branch out with the subclass system later. Sounds like a reasonable number to me. Sure ..more is better ..but i'd rather have 8 good well thought out storylines, than 32 half-asssed ones if that's the choice.

Posted: May 24th 2011 5:25PM The Wok said

@Resurge They had multiple backgrounds in Mass Effect. It wouldn't be that much more dialogue. I'd think the "slave" business would wear out at when you leave Korriban or shortly before.

I do know that anyone who tried calling my Sorcerer a slave would be quickly made dead.

Posted: May 24th 2011 7:04PM Larry Everett said

@Ordegar

Posted: May 24th 2011 7:07PM Space Cobra said

@Needless @Resurge

Frankly, I am with Ordegar on this.

Yes, I realize it WOULD take more work to add in another storyline. Yes, this is a popular "cheat", much like animation, resuse your animated material over and over again (Filmation/later Hanna-Barbera).

But, I am a bit tired of this lazy shortcut.

I am hoping Bioware will do something at least slightly different. I mean, you can easily have the same story, but you can customize certain scenes that fit into the bigger story arc, right? You can even have a throwaway intro dialogue that explains why you are a slave. Maybe you were sent to infiltrate the movement? Maybe you, as an individual (or your family) made some high-up official very angry and they set it up to make your family into slaves (even though your race is not)?

I mean, really, it is so simple, to me, especially if Bioware is going a "personalized" story-route to just give a basic individual reason for some race/class pairings, sprinkle a new scene/dialogue or two, and then continue with the main thrust of the story.

I am HOPING they do this, but they may not, since, it is easy to be lazy. Hey, I really like/appreciate hand-drawn animation that takes time and is quality. Just put a bit more quality into this. I ain't asking for a whole new storyline, Bioware, just some scenes explaining it and setting it up.

Posted: May 24th 2011 7:09PM Space Cobra said

@Larry Everett

I read that AFTER my long post. :P

Still, they can explain and set up a scene (hopefully) that says your family was on the wrong planet at the wrong time and were sympathetic with the movement....or whatever. Bam! You are a slave, but your situation is slightly different than a standard slave class of that era.

Posted: May 24th 2011 11:18PM The Wok said

@Larry Everett "It is actually lore of the timeline that every Inquisitor starts out as a slave not just the class story. "

This is the first I've heard of this. Does this mean that every Inquisitor trainer, Inquisitor NPC and Inquisitor on the Dark Council started as a slave? I'd find that very hard to believe. When was this revealed?

Posted: May 24th 2011 3:12PM Valentina said

I kind of don't like class/race restrictions in games. But that's that.

I definitely think Miraluka's should be available on both sides. I've always found them fascinating and I will definitely be playing one.

Posted: May 24th 2011 10:18PM Rho said

@Larry Everett and @Valentina

I agree that Miraluka would make an interesting choice for Sith Inquisitors. Personally, I don't find it much of a stretch to imagine them as slaves but I do wonder in what capacity a Miraluka would be considered useful in that regard.

Whether or not they are ever made an option for the Sith, my more immediate interest is in how Bioware intends to handle their innate Force sight. Depending on how it is implemented, I imagine that players might find it annoying if it is a constant visual filter akin to KoTOR II's. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, activating Force Sight as the player character, or going into first-person perspective as Visas Marr (and Kreia as well, if memory serves,) made the game world appear mostly gray with NPCs and your teammates would appear blue if they were light side, gray if they were neutral, or red if they were dark side. On the other hand, it might be considered a bit lore-breaking or disregarding the lore if Miraluka players always saw and experienced the game world in the same way as any other race.

Perhaps a toggle-able ability, like the racial vision filters in Everquest II, would be appropriate? In this way, players who don't care can keep the filter toggled off, while players who do can turn it on. There is something I find fascinating about the blind race of seers that I would consider it wasted potential if Bioware did nothing at all for this particular, (mostly-)unique Miraluka ability. I hope they get creative and surprise me.

Posted: May 24th 2011 5:13PM nibbon said

I don't necessarily want an entire class to be playable by a race because there was one or two exceptions in the lore. This probably closes some doors, but when you see 1000 people running around that play these race/class combos it takes away from the story a bit (when there was originally only one or two of them).

Posted: May 24th 2011 6:05PM Frostfell said

I'm not too familiar with most of the playable species in the game. Typically I don't like restrictions on class/race combos. It sure seems like when MMO's implement these, they end getting a lot more lenient in the end, so I say, why even bother with restrictions?

I can understand Larry's arguments based on the canon, but this is a (relatively) untouched time in the Star Wars Lore- who's to say there wasn't a notorious Zabrak Imperial Agent, or Miraluka Smuggler during the Old Republic time period?

Posted: May 24th 2011 7:02PM Larry Everett said

@Frostfell You mention that the time period is relatively untouched, which is true if you take into account all of Star Wars lore, but it has been "touched" a lot by BioWare via webcomics, timeline videos, books, and interviews.

I haven't talked about the Republic species. But Human High Culture suggests that Zabraks would not taken to kindly by Imperials. That is not to say that they will not be Imperial Agents, but I would -personally- have a hard time seeing that species in that class.

Posted: May 24th 2011 7:26PM Frostfell said

@Larry Everett You make some good points. Not being the lore expert, I suppose I'm looking at it more from the gameplay and UX perspective- Having options is always good in my book, especially when it comes to class/species combos. I realize though that this can be somewhat counterproductive for a franchise with the sheer scope of lore that Star Wars has.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what they come up with for class/species options for launch. Seems to me that the whole discussion of species in SWTOR has been pretty quiet compared to all the other gameplay features, so your article was a welcome read :)

Posted: May 25th 2011 3:40AM JuliusSeizure said

Slavery is not something you "allow". It's something forced on you until you break and can no longer muster the will to resist simply doing as you are told.

A true Sith knows, no warrior's pride is so great that it can never be broken.

Posted: May 26th 2011 4:41AM x0fx3 said

I agree with you Larry, all I can say at this point is that I hope they do confirm these soon and I hope that there’s more playable races tba.

Posted: May 26th 2011 7:22AM nospoons said

Some species are more "predisposed to... slavery" than others? - What??

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance