Posted: May 23rd 2011 10:39AM bobfish said

There is more to 2K than Rockstar. I think these are all possible IPs for the MMO, though if they've been working on it for a year already, its likely not LA Noire.

BioShock
Borderlands
Grand Theft Auto
LA Noire
Mafia
Red Dead
Stronghold
Tropico

Posted: May 24th 2011 1:14AM Unshra said

@bobfish Feel like I've been rather negative regarding some of the title though that's mostly the Eastern ones we will most likely not see in several years like Blade and Soul and ArchAge. This looks to be another one to follow but hold little to no hopes of playing as the target is the Korean market not the West. So basically if it is any of those titles expect to only read about it while those in the East actually get to play it. :\

Thanks Take-Two, just glad there are some nice looking MMOs coming to the West in the mean time.

I am glad to hear they have hired former Lineage developers and the "project" has not expanded to three projects for Asia. It's always good to see people hired on. ^_^

Posted: May 23rd 2011 10:40AM Space Cobra said

Interesting...basically licensing out their property and let another studio do the "dirty hard" work of programming the thing. (I know, not too uncommon).

Well, as we have yet to see ArcheAge in a full-on-playable state for us masses, I hope they don't go too "Asian" in MMO terms with it. In other words, I hope they keep the quality up.

And I am guessing GTA is probably the choice, although the MMO space really needs a Red Dead or even an LA Noire styled MMO with those genres.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 10:59AM Alluvian EstEndrati said

A Red Dead MMO would be rather awesome. I do think it wise to suspect the choice from among the more RPG or action oriented tiles. Not sure how well a GTA MMO may be welcomed after how CrimeCraft and APB have turned out. It all boils down to implementation of course.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 11:00AM Vegetta said

Borderlands MMO could be pretty awesome

Posted: May 23rd 2011 11:07AM Saker said

Very interesting news! Sounds good! Judging by what we've seen so far of ArcheAge this could be excellent! I'm deeply hoping for something good, and new, give me noire, or the old west please! Can't wait to hear more about this.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 11:13AM Ryn said

I don't know if they will go GTA with this, since APB is coming back out. I would think the first go around with APB would scare them off from doing a GTA MMO.

I could really see them going for Red Dead on this. To my knowledge, there isn't a MMO out there in the western genre, and I have heard nothing but great about it.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 11:35AM Sorithal said

A Red Dead MMO would be awesome. There are hardly any games in general that do the Wild West/cowboy stuff well, and there isn't even any MMO out there that lets you do stuff like what Red Dead does.

I can see it now: "LFM Train Rob."

Borderlands would also be a great idea. GTA would work too I guess if they go back to their past GTA games rather than use GTA IV (with its frustrating "ZOMG REALISTIC" controls) as the model for it.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 1:07PM bobfish said

@Sorithal

I don't think there is enough room for expansion in a Western MMO.. the time period is very limited, especially if you try to be semi-realistic like Red Dead.

I think GTA might work, but probably San Andreas rather than any of the others. Gang warfare is much more suitable for an MMO environment than what they've done in the other GTA games.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 1:19PM (Unverified) said

@bobfish since when does time move in an MMO?

Posted: May 24th 2011 5:25AM bobfish said

@(Unverified)

Since they need to add content. Sure it can always been in the same time period, but you need to add more weapons, more enemies, more land. There is a finite amount of variation you can do if you base it on Red Dead's setting.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 12:28PM Dumac said

Im kind of not sure that a developer of fantasy MMOs is suited to creating a GTA MMO. Out of Take Two's properties i think Stronghold is closest to what XL is doing now (although its been many years since i played the original Stronghold and didn't play the sequels, i don't remember much).

Posted: May 23rd 2011 1:38PM paterah said

@Dumac They are not just the developers of a fantasy game mate. They previously have developed a racing online game and they also have other projects other than ArcheAge. And that's how most companies work anyway, not to mention they said they have different teams and that won't delay the development of ArcheAge in the press release.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 12:47PM Jade Effect said

A MMO based on Red Dead Redemption setting would be good. The game was nominated game of the year for 2010, it's still fresh on people's mind, and an Old West setting would be a welcomed change in the MMO landscape.

I'm saying all these even though I have no interest in Red Dead Redemption and hated it for hogging all the 2010 game awards. Blah.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 4:00PM Fakeassname said

I wonder if this means that Take Two will be localizing ArcheAge?

Part of me shudders at the thought because I'm not a fan of their stuff, but at the same time I can't think of a single NA/EU localizer that wouldn't fuck it worse than take two.

I may not like their design conventions, but Take Two does do pretty good with their QA and voice overs. them being noobs to the localization scene may also be a pay off as it's the old dogs that like to dick with things 'cause they "know the market" better than the game's developers.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 6:41PM Poordevil said

I'm falling in with the Red Dead MMO crowd. I think a western or wild west MMO would be fun. Be sure and take notes from Funcom and AoC for a fine example on how to do horse and rider animations! I hope they are not thinking GTA, I don't like those games even a little bit.

Posted: May 24th 2011 1:02PM shipwreck said

Please Red Dead MMO! Please!

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014