Posted: May 22nd 2011 2:09PM ed511df3 said

Ahhh, Ashen Empires.

I remember when it was still 2D Ultima V style sprites, and named Dransik. Style? Actually I mean shamefully ripped from until they either got, or someone learned, how to make their own sprites.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 12:58AM Space Cobra said

@ed511df3

Damn, that's a shame; I've been trying to find such a game since...well, for a very long time. I really dig those 2D sprites and just wanted to plat an Ultima Online version with them or similar.

I mean, there are 16-bit MMO games I've run across, but never any really old-school 4-bit brands.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 5:43AM ed511df3 said

@Space Cobra The original Dransik is still online at dransik.com, actually. The original idea for Dransik was UO, but in the style of Ultima IV and V. As I said before, some graphics were shamefully ripped for there and some fan sites doing sprite upgrades until they had someone on their own team to make original graphics. Still very much that same style though.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 10:44AM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra Check out Elderlands.com... very slow development, but the game will be sweet when it's done. It's created by the original developer of Dransik (who also worked at Origin Systems on some of the Ultima games).

EUO is also a fun game in the 4-bit style. It needs to get more attention, I think... the playerbase is tiny.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 10:57AM Space Cobra said

@ed511df3 @Unverified

Cool! Thanks for the tips! :)

Posted: May 22nd 2011 6:31PM hundred said

this is actually the first MMO i ever played, but i too started when it was called Dransik, back before i ever played EQII or WoW. i loved this game. It had (maybe still does have) a great community of players that were fun to hang out and play with. People put together some fun ingame player run events and stuff too. i wish some new MMO would come out that could hook me the way this game did way back in the day.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 7:19PM Ghostspeaker said

Oooo, Planetside's next, huh? The not-really-Mechwarrior MMO. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about that one. I admit I've been curious about it for a while.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM