Posted: May 22nd 2011 12:12PM (Unverified) said

Sorry, Marvel Whatever Online, if I can't create a character, I won't play. By the time this comes out there will be far too many other options out there.
And just because these other options may ofter *limited* choices, that's better to me than no choice at all. If I want to play this type of game I'll play a singleplayer action rpg but I certainly won't be paying a sub for that.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 12:40PM JuliusSeizure said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Now I just have to quote myself right back at you.

"It's not like playing this game will prevent you playing other games that do allow you that freedom. I mean, it's F2P."

What was that about a sub?

Also, yay! I said something interesting this week!

Posted: May 22nd 2011 1:14PM JuliusSeizure said

@Tempes Magus

That doesn't make any sense. If the game is good, which it may well be BECAUSE of their decisions, then it will get players who want to spend money on it. The kneejerkers may not be among those players, but they don't have to be.

I can understand someone not liking the concept and feeling they won't enjoy the game. Maybe they're right, though it's still in my nature to try to convince them to be more open to new ideas. The scorn for the very concept's existence, absolutely claiming the game will fail financially and critically is pure nonsense. No one can predict any such thing at this stage.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 1:21PM JuliusSeizure said

• 1 heart
@Tempes Magus

Oh, and the budget and calibre of the development team will have far more impact (which is to say, all the impact) on the likelihood of the game appearing to be a "cheap throw-away" than any decision about the format of the game. Come on.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 4:39PM Protoavis said

@JuliusSeizure

This is where you have to be weary...it may be classed as free to play but given how gazillion have handled free to play in other games (ie Super Hero Squad Online) you're pretty much forced to sub if you want to enjoy playing for more than 20 minutes a day.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 4:26PM (Unverified) said

And maybe you just want to like the game. Which is fine. Who cares. I'm just not interested. Didn't know it was F2P tho, so thanks for that.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 5:19PM Neiloch said

I can get highly personalized stories for my character with the myriad of single player games out there. They aren't doing anything new, at all. Sounds like another case of a development team making a single player game have an online multiplayer mode and labeling it a MMO so they can be justified in nickel and diming players like other F2P MMO's.

Since I haven't played the game I can only go on what traits they attest to be in the game and the history of those traits in other games. Nothing I have heard so far interests me at all. It might be a good game in general, but I have yet to see a reason why this is specifically an MMO.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 9:40PM Ghostspeaker said

People are making an awful lot of assumptions about a game we know next to nothing about. It's still in the early stages of development, for crying out loud. Who knows what it will actually be like? None of the commenters on this site, that's for sure.

Also, there are quite a few other games out there that have absolutely no character customization and quite a few of those games are doing quite well, like Dungeon Fighter Online for example. Many more have so little customization that it amounts to the same thing (see 90% of F2P games out there), with every other character looking exactly the same except for maybe their armor. It's not exactly a new concept.

But what makes those games successful is their fun gameplay. Frankly, I'd like to see more developers focus on that instead of making sure everyone feels like a special snowflake. I don't give a crap if my character looks the same as someone else's (which it often did even in WoW) so long as the game itself is fun (which it often wasn't in WoW).

Make it fun and I'll play. Period. Everything else is icing.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 10:01PM (Unverified) said

I agree City of Heroes was amazing for it's time because of it's creation. While Champions Online had decent creation for it's time, and even improved on City of Heroes creation a bit, its actual content failed to meet the standard City of Heroes had given us. DCUO failed on both fronts. The fact of the matter is that I agree, I want to create my own character, I want it to be mine. Thats the great thing about Super Hero MMOs using your imagination to create characters.

Much like the above poster I will try the game, but I doubt it holds me for long like City of Heroes has, you just don't feel invested in a game where the characters are not your own. This to me is a HUGE disappointment and failure. For a MMO that could've been so amazing. Like starting out in the game as a mutant and being given a tutorial by Porf X in the danger room and being given an X-Men uniform. Or being trained by Doctor Strange in Magic and being given robes. Having the choice to display your own costume or feeling like you're part of something bigger like the X-Men...this just isn't cutting it for the amount of potential this universe has to offer...

Posted: May 22nd 2011 10:04PM jones52j said

Its not that it wont be fun. Marvel Ultimate Alliance was fun. The problem is obviously the majority of the mmo community and marvel fanbase wants a Marvel Superhero game where you have the option to utilize your own creativity. The problem is the Marvel IP will be locked down for years now and what the community wants won't happen for long long time.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 11:04PM mattwo said

Wait, we can't make our own characters? This had BETTER NOT be another SHSO!

Posted: May 22nd 2011 11:05PM mattwo said

Not to mention SHSO was just like clone wars (lack of) adventures but with actual fighting, which even then was mediocre..

Posted: May 23rd 2011 1:17AM Space Cobra said

You know, I've been thinking over Gazillion's/Marvel's decision over this (and what they did with Super Hero Squad Online) and I am thinking that since Marvel Ultimate Alliance (and the previous X-Men games) were so popular and such fan favorites, they are trying to emulate this.

IMO, it would be better to sell the game (sorta like DCUO) on the shelves and just do the F2P: Maybe this is the direction they are headed? But I admit, that's speculating on my part: It's much easier to just release a website and go browser-based (or client?) and rely on microtransaction.

In other words, I think Marvel is trying to re-capture the "lightning in a bottle" it had with "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" AND it wants to be different from the other Super-Hero MMOs ("BE Spider-Man! BE Wolverine!!!").

But beyond playing the game for a short period (like we all did with Ultimate Alliance), I can see this not working over the long-run.

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM