Posted: May 21st 2011 9:04PM Baromega said

If he could pull this off by Summer's end, I will buy the game. Even if it doesn't work exactly as planned and requires a couple months of tweaking. Yoshida has officially earned my respect and faith. Just imagine what this game could have been if him and his people were leading from the start?

Posted: May 21st 2011 9:27PM Eamil said

@Baromega

Seriously. This guy's team vs. the people they had before, it's like night and day. A lot of the stuff I'm seeing is really piquing my interest. I keep getting tempted to check the game out again but I'd rather wait until all the major improvements are in place, especially the job system.

I'm actually kind of glad they're getting rid of physical levels. The "levels" vs. "ranks" thing sounded neat in theory but in practice it didn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 8:22AM Abriael said

@Baromega Yoshida isn't single-handedly revolutioning the game. A whole team is working on that, and that includes basically everyone from the old team (as far as we know no one has been fired or relocated from the original team).
While I wholeheartedly applaud Yoshida's enthusiasm and leadership, I feel that painting him as a hero and everyone from the old team as the devil isn't conductive to a realistic approach.

Game development is a team effort.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 8:49AM MMOaddict said

@Abriael
Team effort yes, but every Team has a head, a captain who steers it true. Without a good leader, the team doesn't matter. Right now, he's the face we see and hear so of course we're going to shower our impressions on him. If we see more of the dev team we would do the same, but you know that won't happen.

Posted: May 21st 2011 9:40PM DeadlySwordz said

the last time i played was during the betas. i was a beta tester since alpha went live and played through open beta. wasn't too happy with it, so i cancelled my CE preorder 1 week before early access went live. but, i saw a deal at my local gamestop for CE for $25!! That's a steal!! So i ended up buying it, started playing i think it was this past Tuesday or Wednesday and so far i am having a blast!!! The fatigue/surplus system is still there but it seems like it will get removed, as well as removing physical levels since i see no point in even having that.

Posted: May 21st 2011 10:19PM MMOaddict said

I like this guy's passion. That is what is most needed in this industry. Passionate, hard working devs who are honest and up front.

I like the removal of physical levels as well, and makes it more like FFXI in that you will level up your job(s), just makes more sense. Feels weird though not having a subjob system, hehe, but I guess since you can swap skills that it's still similar.

Posted: May 21st 2011 10:54PM Eamil said

@MMOaddict

What they're calling the "job system" sounds a lot like a subjob system as applied to FF14. Each class has certain jobs it can use (presumably they'll be using the classic FF jobs) and in selecting a job you sacrifice the ability to use other classes' skills, but gain the unique perks and skills of the job you selected.

Posted: May 21st 2011 11:50PM Mevan said

@Eamil

"While playing as a particular job will render you unable to equip certain actions of other classes, you will be compensated with access to exclusive actions" - Matsui's Battle System blueprint.

Please notice the "certain" in that sentence. While it will block some actions, not all of them will be.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 1:37AM Eamil said

@Mevan

Y'know, you could've just said that and I'd have believed you. (

Posted: May 22nd 2011 2:52PM Mevan said

@Eamil

Sorry, just been reading a lot of forum posts with people spreading false information and it's getting to me. lol

Posted: May 22nd 2011 4:50PM Eamil said

@Mevan

Understandable. =)

Posted: May 22nd 2011 1:14AM (Unverified) said

Definitely looking forward to the upcoming patches. If you're on the fence as of now, the game is still free to play and is in playable condition. Been logging in to earn money and do the quick guildleves to level up. If you can find the game cheap, which seems to be pretty easy at the moment, go for it, I've seen it on amazon.com for around 20 bucks.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 2:55AM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

Just to clarify, it's currently "buy to play", as in you pay once for the box and then there's nothing else to pay to play as much as you like. Think Guild Wars, except there are plans for a subscription at some nebulous future date when the game should be worth one.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 8:23AM Abriael said

@(Unverified) as far as I know there are still lot of people with a buddy pass from the collector's edition, which works in all respects like a full account. Looking for one saves even the initial purchase.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 2:51AM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

But, like that biblical analogy, it's not something that can't be overcome though sufficient application of effort, planning and modern technology. :)

Posted: May 22nd 2011 3:22AM Laren said

This game was marketed as an mmo unlike tradition. I was intrigued and played the beta, which made me cancel my preorder.

My biggest disappointment was the complete lack of story in the beta, followed by the very small and linear world. The character graphics were amazing, but the mobs and sound effects were beyond terrible. Finally, the game play itself was brutal. It sounds like they are addressing gameplay issues only...

Someone tell me, when this list of features is done, what is ffxiv going to be like? An epic adventure? Or am I still going to be fighting squirrels over and over again, but with auto attack?

Posted: May 22nd 2011 5:00AM JuliusSeizure said

@Laren

I suggest going over the Producer's Letter again, and paying particular attention to the Quest, Company System and New Content Categories, and you should definitely look at this: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/company/gc01.html

It's true that there's a lot more details about the mechanics than the upcoming story content, but at least part of that is because stories can be spoiled, while mechanics are very useful to know in advance.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 8:37AM hami83 said

@Laren Making a judgement on a game based on the beta is good if it's going to determine whether you not you buy it when it comes out, but to completely knock if off for it's lifespan because of the beta is, well, kind of dumb.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 11:15AM Laren said

@hami83

Thus my question! A big spreadsheet of features isn't going to get me excited to play this game again. My experience is with the beta. Now I see a spreadsheet of new features, but from that list, it seems like only the gameplay is being improved.

Did they scrap leve quests? Did they introduce new zones? Have they fixed the sounds? How about some screen shots of interesting mobs?

Maybe I need to just wait longer, for the supposed 'relaunch'.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 11:20AM Laren said

And why are you guys so hostile? Seems like you are both gun shy about this game. Newsflash, it was a terrible game! Even the devs said so. Relax, thats all over and done with. A lot of people are waiting eagerly for it to be fixed. Calling those people dumb is not a great way to have this game grow.