Posted: May 20th 2011 8:08AM Budokan said

I'd love to see some Urban Fantasy (i.e. Joss Whedon's Buffy universe, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, etc.). Based on the little I've read it seems possible that Secret World could offer some of this. From time to time I get my fix through Champions Online, but a whole game developed around this would be fun.

Posted: May 20th 2011 8:39AM Gaugamela said

Just have to say that for the bleak iron and hard edges of Soviet Russia play Allods. Nezebegrad definitely has that feel - the dungeon of that area is even a power plant!

And I am waiting for The Secret World to offer a different setting.
As for steampunk you have some strong elements of it in WAR with the Dwarves. Only if the Dwarven capital city had been in the game...

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:01AM Ocho said

I love Fallout's post-apocalyptic "art deco" feel. The mix of happy futuristic and shattered world is really cool. Also, Sherlock Holmes style Victorian age, or Colonial America would both work as great settings.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:06AM Popplewell said

I've always liked cyberpunk myself but it doesn't really fit with a fantasy setting.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:32AM (Unverified) said

@Popplewell
The original Shadowrun universe was a perfect blend of cyberpunk and fantasy. They had hackers and cybernetic body parts as well as elves and trolls and magic. I would love to see an MMO based on the Shadowrun universe.

Posted: May 20th 2011 6:46PM Mystal said

@Popplewell

One word: Shadowrun.

Probably the best IP for an MMO that no one's ever bothered trying to make into an MMO.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:17AM (Unverified) said

Two words: "El Dorado"

That's a fantasy setting that's thoroughly unusued. A PreColumbian setting that's so rich and colorful, with a great, long, and bloody history should be a big contender to go into an MMO, but we've yet to see anything other than a few piramids here and there. Check out the Machupichu ruins and other Inca settings to see what we're missing!

-X

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:26AM Psnacky said

My biggest is that I've always wanted to play an MMO with a colonial America setting/aesthetic . Toss in a little sword and sorcery and/or protosteampunk and I think you've got a winner there.

I'd love to see more art deco (by the way that's 1920s/30s), I've made plenty of art deco themed heros in CO. A few others for me include: 1960s/Cold War, Wild West, Classical Mayan and Imperial Rome.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:40AM Wisdomandlore said

@Psnacky

I always thought a settling a new continent would be a great basis for a MMO. The players start off with virtually nothing and have to build cities, roads, etc while battling the environment, monsters, and conquering or allying with the natives.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:30AM Heraclea said

Some of the Acheronian Ruins in "Age of Conan" have a vaguely Mesoamerican feel. REH definitely used the setting.

Classical Greece and Rome seems to be definitely underused.

Africa is a touchy subject for some, but a lot of great pulp literature used a jungle fantasy setting freely; that might be interesting to see.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:50AM Psnacky said

@Heraclea

Africa could be a very interesting setting (jungle or savannah). I had hoped that FunCom would have added Kush rather than Khitai for AoC's first x-pack.

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:01AM j1083 said

I'd love to see more steampunk/dungeonpunk/magitech. I don't want to abandon the fantasy genre entirely, but "knights and castles" as an aesthetic is most definitely overplayed.

Why is it that, when creating a fantasy world limited only by their imaginations, so many people immediately go for something that looks pretty much like 1300s Europe?

I'd be on cloud 9 if there was a Planescape MMO. So much variety and ingenuity, such limitless possibilities...

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:05AM Lenn said

I'd love to play an MMO set in the Mesozoic. Let me play a Hadrosaur and be ganked by roving gangs of Utah raptors (who are all played by spotty teens living in their parents' basements, not necessarily in Utah).

On a more serious note, an MMO set in prehistory would be awesome. Something like the movie 10,000 BC, only without all the historic inaccuracies.

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:15AM Furdinand said

Mecha, I also wouldn't mind see some Mod Style like in The Prisoner. The Avengers, The Invisibles, or Our Man Flint/In like Flint.

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:20AM (Unverified) said

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:22AM Carolina said

Some games still don't have the "cosmetic tab", and that is a shame to me. I am giving preferences to the games that actually let me pick how I want to look like now.

I can't think of a theme that is lacking, I just want more games to embrace cosmetic tabs and dye options, really.

Posted: May 20th 2011 11:01AM Space Cobra said

Some nice things mentioned above.

But yeah, slowly we are being introduced to new worlds on a small scale, such as Steampunk. We finally got some post-apocalyptic worlds in on a nice scale.

I would still like to see an American attempt at Asian/Chinese historical fantasy. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jungle fantasy, as mentioned by previous posters. Also, John Carter fantasy. Maybe retro-sci-fi. More games involving the stat/uses of Mechs.

I could go on and on.

Basically, anything that is NOT European fantasy or that is a signifigantly very different view/take on it.

The more different, the better. Hell, even a Grimm Brother's world or more culture-worlds (like skate punks). Something totally off-the-wall/unused.

Posted: May 20th 2011 11:03AM Djinn said

I'm surprised we haven't seen Atlantis and I would also like to see a Medieval (not high fantasy) setting ala Camelot / Robin Hood with Knights, Chivalry and Magic.

Posted: May 20th 2011 11:19AM The Minn said

Big fan of the style of Steampunk (NeoSteam...god awful disgrace). Besides that, maybe: urban fantasy, ground sci-fi games, more adult oriented mmos, cops n robbers mmo (done right, not APB style).

Posted: May 20th 2011 11:47AM Irem said

I'd like to see more fantasy sci-fi along the lines of WoW's Burning Crusade expansion. I know it wasn't the most popular thing they've ever done, but even now I miss it like, well, burning.

There are several sci-fi MMOs, but most of them skew toward realism. I'm looking for that "flying on a fang-mawed airborne manta ray through a swamp of giant mushrooms while a mountain range made of massive, deadly spikes looms against the twisting, alien sky" feeling. Maybe I should hold out for a Heavy Metal MMO. :P