Posted: May 20th 2011 7:11PM Borick said

I got a chuckle out of the comment about story in MMOs being the holy grail, followed by,

"A holy grail, a real problem, a $300 million problem for some companies."

So it's just an open joke now. Poor Bioware.

Best of luck to Gazillion. I'm not a fan of the superhero genre, myself, but it's good to see diversity in MMOs and it's great to see designers willing to take risks and move beyond the established standards again.

Posted: May 20th 2011 7:29PM Dunraven said

@Borick You mean the BS rumor that EA Louse even admitted to not actually knowing?

Yeah it's pretty much an open joke.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:02PM Yellowdancer said

@Dunraven

Ya know...if you count marketing and 6 years of develoipment with a fairly heft staff, I can believe the game costs 300 mil. I think when the game comes out it will feel like 300 mil though. What I mean is, I think there will be enough in the game that says this cost a lot of money and its worth it. Doesn't mean it will be successful though...

Posted: May 21st 2011 2:02PM Dunraven said

@Yellowdancer Dunno guy I'm currently beta testing and the feeling from the beta community is this will be the firts game to actually compete with WoW..never saw that in the RIFT or any other beta...if this game isn't a major hit..you can pretty much forget any MMO having a shot ever.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 2:17PM HiroProtagonist7 said

@Dunraven
Not in beta myself, but the Star Wars fanbase is top-heavy age-wise - A New Hope came out when I was 6 and my entire childhood was pretty much Star Wars - every birthday and christmas - the falcon, death star, hoth, tatooine, x-wing, darth vader's tie fighter 100s of characters. Pretty much every kid I knew had something Star Wars. It is no where near as prevalent as it was in the 80s.

The childish art style turned me off right away as it did in the TV version of the Clone Wars. The toys and movies were always 'realistic' not cartoony. Now all my heroes and monsters look like a children's cartoon. Have you seen some of the toys? The whole franchise is moving towards happy smiley baby toys.

I don't buy the toys anymore or collect or anything. I'm a fan, at least of the original Star Wars universe and concepts, but not the type of fan that accepts anything that Lucas decides to fart out with the Star Wars brand affixed. And he's been eating a lot of chili for the past 12 years or so.

Maybe that means I'm not a fan anymore, IDK, but I can't help but be irritated by this game - As with STO, it means no-one will be doing anything serious in the MMO realm with the IP for a long, long time.

Posted: May 20th 2011 7:16PM oxlar said

uh huh. Good luck with that Gazillion. Don't be disappointed if I don't hold my breath concerning your success with this endeavor.

Posted: May 20th 2011 7:28PM Taawa said

Doh! I want that lawsuit to be resolved so he can talk about Jumpgate Evolution.

I don't think social media gaming and yet another super hero mmo are going to provide Gazillion with the income they desire.

Posted: May 20th 2011 7:37PM Saker said

@Taawa
Problem with all these companies is the income they desire is infinite. Infinite greed, no amount satisfies the money-mens insane levels of expectation.

Posted: May 20th 2011 7:44PM Protoavis said

@Taawa

If it were a good superhero mmo it's possible if only because the ones out are fairly shallow with content and gameplay. Given the revealed decisions so far though I don't see much chance of it being particularly good though.

Posted: May 20th 2011 7:56PM Furdinand said

I was playing Pokemon Black recently and thinking about what little we know so far about the Marvel MMO. If it really is just playing premade characters what makes it an MMO but not pokemon. Pokemon has an online, multi-player component where you have set character with some ability to customize their stats. The Marvel game might still be good, I'm just wondering if games in general have become so MMO-like that the term isn't useful anymore.

Posted: May 20th 2011 8:11PM SiML said

I still haven't heard one... ONE reason why this is an MMO over what appears essentially to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online.

No player-created toons?, no chance to exercise your own creative ideas for characters? - equals a MASSIVE misreading of the number one top reason players love superhero MMOs in my honest opinion.

I'll give it a shot but only ever as Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online, and I will never invest in microtransaction money in a toon in which I do not feel creatively invested.

Big opportunity missed !, however Marvel / Secret ID studios spins it.

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:13PM JuliusSeizure said

• Half a heart
@SiML

"OH NOES THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING WILDLY DIFFERENT! CALL THE MMO POLICE!"

Does that about sum up your argument?

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:53PM Utakata said

@JuliusSeizure

"DOING SOMETHING WILDLY DIFFERENT" doesn't mean it's actually smart, innovated and/or interesting. The original APB comes to mind as a fine example of this. Just saying.

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:33PM JuliusSeizure said

@Utakata

But that's no excuse to bitch and moan when there's no actual evidence that it's a bad thing yet. All this kneejerking whinery about the game so far is solely because it's _different_. It's not about the execution of those differences, because no one who isn't working on the game has any idea how that execution will play out.

What I'm saying is, see if it's a good game on its own merits first, don't complain that it's not exactly the same as everything else. The concepts they've floated so far are really good ideas when you stop to consider what their stated aims with the game are. Those aims do not include "making a game that's like existing superhero MMOs with incremental improvements".

Posted: May 21st 2011 12:50AM Utakata said

@JuliusSeizure

I believe SiML is pointing out that pre-set characters is unlikely to be a strong selling point. I suspect he's right. I feel the concept is going to be hugely problematic, when you get a starting zone full of rolled Iron Man's and Wolverine's for example. But I digress...

...there is nothing wrong of remaining skeptical of a product until we see the final release either. The burden of proof is on the company that makes the claim not on us to accept its spin 'n spiel, wheather it's these guys or ArenaNet. But I'll always keep an open mind, even when I have my expressed doubts.

Posted: May 20th 2011 8:12PM SiML said

Big opportunity missed !, however Marvel / Secret ID studios spins it.
I'll be staying with Champions-Online.

Posted: May 20th 2011 8:17PM Lateris said

This is as strange as a space mini game in TOR

Posted: May 20th 2011 9:15PM (Unverified) said

Still a huge waste. Not the least bit interested in playing an established character in an "MMO".

Posted: May 20th 2011 10:49PM JuliusSeizure said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Seriously? Stop to think about that for a second. Look at the story in other games for a moment. Notice how limited the options are, and how the story your character goes through is extremely generic and about the only option you have to differentiate from others' characters is to elect to not do certain quests.

Certain upcoming games like The Old Republic are doing a bit to fix this, with intricate and branching stories, but even that only has so many optional paths, all of which branch back into the main story for the important beats. MUO looks like it may solve the problem from another angle, by giving highly personalised stories specific to the character you play, while still allowing you to make decisions that affect the way the story plays out. On top of that, it's giving all players access to a great many characters to play and explore their storylines, apparently without limit, save whatever unlocking process they may have in place.

The only thing it's sacrificing is the capacity to name and customise the look of your characters. Those things are very nice, but I don't see why they have to be in every game, especially if sacrificing that allows new avenues of gameplay and immersion to be explored. The likes of Vindictus already take some of that choice away from you. It's not like playing this game will prevent you playing other games that do allow you that freedom. I mean, it's F2P.

Posted: May 20th 2011 11:39PM Protoavis said

@JuliusSeizure

"...On top of that, it's giving all players access to a great many characters to play and explore their storylines..."

That's fine, but realise that a lot of people don't want to be "a great many characters" and considering this game is f2p with micro transactions it's probably going to be a harder sell when people have no real attachment to the characters they're playing.

Personally I think it's a cop out, it's a lot easier to call innovation when really you're limiting the player base to playing exactly how you want in what will undoubtedly be extremely linear gameplay based on character (or even team character belongs to in canon).

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM