Posted: May 19th 2011 11:40AM Yog said

I've never actually needed the help of a GM but I've seen a GM in FFXI in one of the first months of the US release and it was awesome.

He was helping some guy that got lost in the yhoator jungle (which is easy to do) and used ultima to clear the path (which is a spell common to final fantasy but not available in FFXI except to GMs)...completely killed everything in a large area.

Posted: May 19th 2011 12:20PM myr said

@Yog
You probably mean meteor. Ultima isn't even in the game's data files.

Myself ... not so good experience in the one time I've needed FFXI GMs in my 8 years ingame. First time years ago doing Optical Hats... got everyone else one, had an extra pop, decided to get one for my alt on the same account. Moved her to the zone, went back to my main for the kill. Finished the job and it... didn't drop.

Dumb mistake on my part, the item was rare/ex therefore since everyone currently in the group already had one, another wouldn't drop. The item's 100% otherwise. Would have had to have her in the group before the killshot. Called a GM as a last resort (at the time the pop item was 1m+ gil, when that actually meant something) and they refused to do anything. Even going so far as to argue with me saying "no drop is 100%". He could have simply said "Sorry my policy prevents me from helping you" but instead sat there and argued.

As far as good experiences? Well.. only times I can remember in any game was a quick and courteous response to being stuck with my hearthstone down in WoW, and racing around Sanctum with a GM early in the Aion beta. Last one was good fun, he got rubberbanded around when he activated his double movement speed buff and I managed to stay ahead of him for a while :D

Posted: May 22nd 2011 12:58AM mattwo said

@myr I really don't understand why that GM should have helped you. The game was working as intended and there was no conflict right?

Also GMs can not compensate if some one else is being a ***hole anyway.

Posted: May 19th 2011 11:51AM xilr said

Got stuck in an Anarchy Online Dungeon when AO was first released. My old CRT could not produce enough brightness for me to see in this particularly dark mission.

I ended up stuck and unable to get out because I couldnt see. I petitioned. The GM said it was against their rules to teleport me out, but (s)he would be happy to run around in front of me with this light source so I could get myself out. :D

Worked, and I thought it was a pretty cool solution.

Posted: May 19th 2011 12:46PM Syesta said

Had a hilarious little GM interaction in FFXIV not too long ago. Was on a faction leve and managed to kill the target, but accidentally hit a Billygoat with an AOE attack. The thing proceeded to ram charge me and the knockback managed to clip me up to the top of a tree. There I stood, character model vibrating uncontrollably, stuck on the top without the ability to get back down, goat pacing back and forth trying to pathfind to me. Logout/in, teleport, and return all failed. After about 15 minutes, called a GM.
About 10 minutes after that, a hooded Elvaan with a staff icon by his name appeared at the bottom of the tree, did a /surprised emote at me, and said:

GM: "Ye gods woman! How in the seven hells did you manage to get up there?"
Me: "Let's just say it involves a goat and a bit of iniquity..."
GM: "Ha! The times I've heard that. Well, far be it from me to go out of my way to rescue every cat that gets stuck in a tree, I shall render unto you, my assistance."
Me: "Oh thank you brave, yet mysterious stranger."

He then disappears and my screen fades to black from a force return.
That little RP was well worth the failed leve.

Posted: May 20th 2011 6:41AM Ekphrasis said

@Syesta

LOL Love it.

Posted: May 22nd 2011 12:56AM mattwo said

@Syesta HAHAHAHA a RPer GM, classic.

I should point out that they are not elvaan in that game though also they have subspecies.

As some one who played it you should know that better than me as I haven't actually played it but I read up on it. :P

Posted: May 19th 2011 12:48PM InkSix said

Spiral Knights. Within 2 minutes I was released from a glitched dungeon that had me stuck indefinitely.

Posted: May 19th 2011 2:29PM NeoWolfen said

Back when I was playing EVE online was the best GM service I'd had. It was shortly after the salvage system had been implemented, some jerk Minmater player was camping the tutorial area in his battlecruiser shooting all the ships that you need to kill to get the key drop to progress through the tutorial. If anyone treid to loot one of his kills to get the key needed to progress he would shoot and kill them.

I reported him and within moments and GM ship appeared he spoke to the guy and literally made his ship go away.

It was the fastest response I have ever had from a GM and it was also the most enjoyable (i.e seeing them actually in game), the GM himself was very polite, understanding and helpful about the situation.

All in all it was a first rate GM service that I have yet to see any other game even come close to matching with response time if nothing else.

Posted: May 19th 2011 3:48PM Mynsc said

Definitely WoW's GMs. Got hacked after being inactive for 3 months... came back, made a ticket, got ALL my stuff back in literally 15 minutes! fifteeeeen.

Worst is RIFT, but I guess they have the excuse they were only 3 weeks away from launch. I made 3 tickets, some of them with pretty critical bugs / questions, didnt get any answers for 10 days. Then I quit playing.

Posted: May 19th 2011 4:49PM JoeH42 said

I agree with quite a few players about Fallen Earth's GMs. There is always at least one of them online, they're quick to respond, and know their business.
I've always had good experiences with Turbine's GMs, both in DDO and LoTRO. I usually get a response in less than two minutes.
Which was a huge change from the WoW experience of course where you know if you send in a ticket it'll be at least an hour before you get a response. And everyone knows that it is 100% a case of Blizzard just being cheap and greedy. They've certainly got the resources to provide quick GM service they'd just rather save a few thousand dollars a month by keeping their GMs understaffed. Which is one of the reasons I'm proud to no longer be playing WoW.

Posted: May 19th 2011 5:23PM (Unverified) said

In WoW I had a ticket pop while i was in an instance. I asked the gm to come say hi to me and my group. To which he did!!!! I was, unfortunately, the only one who could see him but here are some links to what happened:

Posted: May 19th 2011 8:00PM Suhaira said

Fallen Earth:
Having a gm teleport people to an underground bunker for a party .... on their mounts/in their cars by accident. Then dancing on top of the teleported car.

Or the time I rezzed a gm on the test server, then we both died again and had to respawn elsewhere.

Posted: May 19th 2011 10:12PM (Unverified) said

Fallen Earth hands down though the Tabula Rasa GMs mak(d)e a close second if not a bit better at times. ;)
~Vaeyn~

Posted: May 22nd 2011 12:52AM mattwo said

I can't remember any one time but I like the GMs in CoH. They always appear with a modified avatar instead of the usual hero or villan stuff players can make.

My first experience with their GMs was actually one that appeared as a police drone. How symbolic hmm?

Posted: May 22nd 2011 1:07AM mattwo said

I have to wonder if that GM dave link was a good example or bad....