Posted: May 19th 2011 4:19PM Space Cobra said

You know, I never thought about it, but in many MMOs, I tend to have a strong alt that tends to fit Engineer (Hunter/WoW:WH/Engineer:etc.)

I like shooting and don't like trap setting so much, but I may just have to try for a main as an Engineer in GW2. I do like close-up battles, but I also appreciate a class than can long-range/distance fight, too. I really dig the tactics when they work.

Posted: May 19th 2011 4:34PM Calibrus said

Sigh... Too much BANG BANG. Not enough HACK SLASH, I JUST CUT OFF HIS ARM!

Guess I'm a fantasy traditionalist...

Posted: May 19th 2011 5:16PM Kalec said

I never played the original Guild wars (though I always knew it was wotrthwile, the fact it was heavily instanced put me off), but when I heard about guild wars 2 I said I'd give it a look (the blog post) and when I realized it would be some sort of steam punk (don't remember the context but I know there was a lot of metal and a huge tank looking thing surrounded by dozen of Charr) I immediately fell in love. While I like high fantasy and the such, I never get enough from it, but steam punk, man that really gets to me.

I love the idea that magic exists in a world that science may also play a role, where maybe another civilisation never discovered magic or decided to combine magic with technology (Rise of Nations: Rise of legends anyone ?). Why should a mage be able to shoot fire from his hands but a normal bloke can't make a flamethrower ?

I love the idea of magic evolving separately from science or a civilization that not only combines them but can't imagine a world where one would exist without the other (Asura).

I now know what my first character will be: A male Charr Engineer, To me this would be a perfect fit since the Charr are a technological people, this makes sense to me more than a Charr elementalist ever will. I don't even understand why they would have one, just like I can't understand why Sylvari would ever have an engineer (I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF EVERY RACE HAVING ALL CLASSES)

I just can't wait for this game to come out but I also don't want arenaNet to rush this, plz guys, take your time :)

Posted: May 20th 2011 3:13AM (Unverified) said

@Kalec It is better to start there rather than end up there after six years ;) (Bloodelf Warrior? Worgen DK? )

Posted: May 20th 2011 12:03PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Worgen DKs were pretty silly, but belfs should have had Warrior from the start--the only reason they didn't was because they had too many classes as it was. One of their iconic lore classes, the Spellbreaker, is essentially a warrior. The Regent Lord is a warrior (or was the last time I played). The guards are all warriors. A belf'll rip your throat out as soon as look at you.

Posted: May 19th 2011 6:22PM Yellowdancer said

I had NO interest in GW2. None. Zilch. Zero. Thought the first one was boring.

GW2 fan after the video. Sold. Buying first day. Taking 3 days off work. Will be playing Engineer all day and night.

Think they will let me port my character to DCUO?

Posted: May 19th 2011 7:01PM Randomessa said

@Yellowdancer

Haha, awesome! On the plus side you won't have nearly as long to wait for release as those of us chumps who've been in lawn chairs since oh-seven :).

Posted: May 20th 2011 3:05AM (Unverified) said

@Randomessa We will tell Yellowdancer best of the stories from the past couple of years where we begged, threatened, raised a fit, staged protests, went into depression, fought back, wore out the F5 key...but no release date for us ;)

Posted: May 19th 2011 6:37PM (Unverified) said

I'm in

Posted: May 19th 2011 6:39PM PaperSpeaks said

OH MY GOD YES YES YES
Well, I thought it'd be a mesmer but I had hoped it'd be some sort of engineer class! YES!
GW2 COME TO ME PAPA

Posted: May 19th 2011 6:44PM Irem said

@Puremallace
Bro, I love RIFT and all, but you're reaching really hard and only doing the game you like a disservice.

Posted: May 19th 2011 6:47PM Irem said

@Puremallace
"Hey just because I point out an obvious fact that this description sounds extremely similar to Sabs in Rift. "

And Thief sounds similar to Rogues in WoW, just as RIFT's rogue classes sound awfully similar to Rogues in WoW. And Elementalists have a lot in common with Mages from other games. Jesus Christ, they have Warriors, too! When will the madness end?!

It's an archetype. It's in WoW, too, just in the form of a crafting profession and not a class.

Posted: May 19th 2011 7:11PM LarZen said

Now that was just riddicolus! Made me laugh..but now I cry knowing that wil be in the game...

Posted: May 19th 2011 7:39PM alucard3000 said

Woot now everyone can make their gnome engineers err I mean asura my bad =p.How very WoW esque.

Posted: May 19th 2011 10:17PM JoolaPrime said

Can't say I'm super pumped about this class...

..in fact this is the last thing I was hoping for but hey...6 or 7 other classes to play right!

Posted: May 20th 2011 2:13AM ArcherAvatar said

This will be completely lost in the hail of comments I'm sure but, I just wanted to compliment the author on a well written article that avoided some of the inaccuracies I've seen elsewhere on the interwebs today about the new class. Nicely done Rubi.

Posted: May 21st 2011 12:02PM Zerdiox said

@ArcherAvatar Well, what did you expect? Rubi is the #1 GW2 fan-girl! :D

Posted: May 21st 2011 4:13AM Graill440 said

Gwen?........Gwen?.......are you there........

Posted: May 23rd 2011 11:43AM (Unverified) said

Really? I think it's a pretty cool concept because it's not the usual mage or warrior type. It is channeling a steampunk vibe to be sure.

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM