Posted: May 18th 2011 1:31PM Avernus said

humans with pointy ears. elves, fairies, etc.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 4:31PM mysecretid said

None of the tropes are automatically bad, as-is ... but some of them are used horribly time-and-time again.

The one that drives me crazy in fantasy MMORPGs must be the "You are The Chosen One! Only YOU can make this right and save the multiverse!"

Why do I have to be /THE/ hero? I'm happy being /A/ hero.

Besides, I'm typically surrounded by dozens of other apparently-capable player-adventurers every time I visit the nearest town. What, these men and women are suddenly all on strike?

The laziness is that it doesn't take a lot to tweak the game lore to suggest that adventurers as a whole are "The Only Hope Of The Digital Multiverse(tm)" Claiming /I'm/ the only one who matters in a world filled with powerful adventurers seems laughable.

Posted: May 24th 2011 12:18AM Haldurson said

It's not just the labels that bother me, especially not on the players. It's primarily the lack of thought that a writer put into the story telling to label an npc as 'good' or 'evil'. I'm a person, I know other people, so as a person living among other people, I'm able to think up human motivations. So unless the writers are so cut off from humanity that it's too difficult for them to do so, then I could understand the problem. But of course, if that were the case, then writing is clearly the wrong profession for them, and they probably should consider taking up accounting or something equally unimaginative.

Posted: May 23rd 2011 10:49PM hereafter said

I think the general aesthetic has begun to bore me. The same low-tech, boar-fighting, leather-stitched visuals that seem to permeate every title. Castle towns, dirt roads, lit torches... it's actually part of why I'm looking forward to TOR. It'll be nice to see something synthetic for once, like a bar with neon and plastic tables instead of an inn made of wood. So many inns... ugh.

I generally like medieval fantasy. I mean I enjoyed both Dragon Age games and I'm liking the Witcher 2 so far. I guess I just pine for more unique visions. One of my favorite older RPGs was Breath of Fire 4. That had some of the traditional medival stuff, but with strong doses of steampunk-esque stuff and oriental architecture. Then there's FFXII, which had a unique feeling world. Sort of a fantasy aesthetic wrapped around what was actually powerful and potent technology. Those worlds had a vision and it showed. In comparison, a game like Rift has a world that just feels phoned-in to me. I mean it works okay, it's all there, it just doesn't feel like it was built up from a strong singular vision.

Posted: May 24th 2011 11:49PM Graill440 said

I read, and re-read the article three times, the title just doesnt sit right in my mind and forced me to look up several definitions to try and find one that matched, none came close,the phrases are there for the word but the scope and content of the piece do not match the title, and so, I take this harmless jab at Eliot.

Enigo Montoya to Vincent:

"You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it means"

(grin)