Posted: May 17th 2011 9:07AM koehler83 said

How many Ultimate collections are there going to be?

Does Square Enix know what ultimate means?

Posted: May 17th 2011 9:26AM kunic said

@koehler83 Ultimate - "The best achievable or imaginable of its kind." At every release of an FFXI Ultimate Collection, they are the best achievable package at that time for FFXI.

Posted: May 17th 2011 9:47AM PrimeSynergy said

@koehler83

FINAL Fantasy XI...

nuff said

Posted: May 17th 2011 2:54PM Elranzer said

From the same dictionary they get their definition of "Final" from...

Posted: May 17th 2011 10:47AM JohnFordColey said

So it comes with a free item that makes the game act like a modern MMO? That might actually be worth $20.

Posted: May 17th 2011 11:17AM Monkey D Luffy said

• 1 heart
@JohnFordColey. Easy so that stupid people can play it? FFXI's grind thins the herd by end game and sends the failures back to WoW and Rift.

It is a lot easier than it used to be, I've spent 7 hours leveling Warrior from 13 and I'm almost to level 30. In the old days it would take two weeks to get from 13 to 30, so yes they made it handicap accessible like "modern" MMO's. I prefer the days when only the elite could play it though.

Posted: May 17th 2011 11:56AM JohnFordColey said

@Monkey D Luffy

You do know that accessible does not equal stupid?

It's the same game with the same mechanics. They just tweaked the rules for people who don't have an absurd amount of time to grind out levels to get to the neat storyline missions. Besides, honestly, who really wanted to spend hours in Valkrum bashing worms?

Posted: May 17th 2011 12:08PM Pewpdaddy said

@Monkey D Luffy
If "elite" means only the people who have 9+ hrs a day to devote to gaming. I played XI for about 3 years, and because of lack of game time(read noob by the XI "elite"). All of my toons stalled at 50, I mean cmon a RDM/WHM sitting in Jueno for 2hrs LFP. Give me a break, they "fixed" their broken western system IMO. I've played end game in nearly every MMO i've played from EQ to Present. I simply couldn't stomach the grind in XI. It's still there just no nearly as bad as it used to be. Believe it or not, at least from my standpoint the grind from EQ was easier, and if you played EQ before Planes of Power you know it was rough.

Posted: May 17th 2011 12:10PM Pewpdaddy said

@Pewpdaddy

Massively where is the EDIT BUTTON... Cmon!

Anyway to edit, I started just after Chains of Promethia came out.

Posted: May 17th 2011 11:57AM (Unverified) said

I recall those steep leveling curves. Took quite sometime to get that Bard up to 40, let alone the 1v1 level cap quest. Ah the good ol' days. Though I through with elitist mentality that rots the social aspect of this genre of gaming. I certainly give hats off to Square for trying to recoup financial loss through this nice little package and hope it encourages some new prospective players to give it a try!

Posted: May 17th 2011 2:17PM kunic said

@(Unverified) They've fixed a lot of it. I remember a few years ago it took me 2 weeks just to hit BLK to R20. But I bought the game again a few months ago and I was R30 within 3 days. It really has sped up a ton.

Posted: May 17th 2011 2:18PM kunic said

@kunic Oh, and R20 on a sub job within a day.

Posted: May 18th 2011 8:58AM hatori1181 said

there's a part of me that really wants to come back to the game, but is it really worth it? I was always one of the biggest champions for this game when everyone else on massively was quick to dismiss it. Most of my friends have moved on to other games.

I miss the atmosphere, the charm, but the old saying "You can never go home again" rings in my head.