Posted: May 17th 2011 5:32PM Streamweaver said

• 1 heart
I don't see how this is a bad thing. CO and STO weren't good titles and didn't do very well so the number of effected players are low. I"m sure there are talented people at Cryptic but overall as an entity they're not preforming well.

Maybe Jack Emmert, Brad McQuaid and Richard Garriott can all open a studio together. Yea, that would be awesome.

Posted: May 17th 2011 5:36PM pcgneurotic said

Well for sure CBS and WOTC aren't going to let Atari diddle them in the bottom, imho it's just a question of Who and When regarding Cryptic's new onwers.

Posted: May 17th 2011 5:55PM tmarg said

I love how it's a F2P game making the largest losses, and yet we still have to hear all the F2P fanboys saying that a "proper" F2P setup is the answer to all of life's problems.

I also love how, in the recent criticism of MUO's plans, people held up Champions as the "proper" way to do a superhero MMO, when it turns out it had been loosing millions of dollars. Maybe a world populated by millions of generic superheroes isn't as compelling as everyone claimed it was?

To be honest, I have a hard time seeing another major publisher picking them up.

Posted: May 17th 2011 5:59PM Streamweaver said

@tmarg Nothing wrong with F2P. Either way though nobody is going to play a bad game, free or otherwise.

Posted: May 18th 2011 3:52AM Protoavis said

@tmarg

That's missing the obvious.

The issue people have with MUO is the lack of character creator, this is something Champions has (although the art style ERGH!). Really don't think ANYONE would say Champions has awesome gameplay (like you're suggesting people said) since it's pretty unanimous that Champions has EXTREMELY shallow gameplay.

That and Champions and Marvel both going F2P kind of makes your argument a wee bit lopsided.

Posted: May 18th 2011 9:25AM Dracones said

@tmarg Turbine has been making money hand over fist since they took DDO and LOTRO F2P. As for generic super hero games, COH did very well and was a great game when you consider when it game out.

The problem is Champions just isn't a very good game.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:15PM notinterested said

Champions online was barely mediocre and STO is trash. The studio should have been closed down after Champions and never allowed to go through with STO.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:16PM coercer said

Bummer for the employees. I hope not too many lose their jobs. I think Cryptic's biggest problem is the games. In my opinion the games aren't very good. I mean, Atari wouldn't have dropped Cryptic if Star Trek had a million subs. Cryptic releases sub standard products, it's as simple as that.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:23PM Tenjo said

The only companies I could see buying Cryptic would be GamersFirst or Gamigo. My personal experience with CO and STO, no one in their right mind would buy anything that uses the Cryptic Engine. It's craptastic at best, Gamebryo Engine would be a step up.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:28PM Liltawen said

I never much liked Atari so I think this is great.
Like Saker said Atari just wants 'more money,now' from the C-store.
Glad to see them go.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:34PM ShivanSwordsman said

So it begins. I've been waiting for this news. After Champions Online started it's "Pay $10 for gimped Archetypes based on stuff already in the game" model of "Trial For Free" , I've been eagerly awaiting news of the this studio being crushed. It's a good day. Sorry to all the folks that put such deep stock into Cryptic's Game, but it treated it's customers like dumb as nails shart, and now it's getting what it deserves.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:42PM Dunraven said

To all the doomsayers ..let me repost this.

"
Originally Posted by WishStone
The headline is chosen a little unfortunate by the colleagues at Gamasutra and makes it sound like we're a kicked puppy standing in the rain. That's not the case.

Right now I have no further details other than what has been mentioned elsewhere. Support for Champions Online and Star Trek Online will be continuing as normal, our staff is working hard on their projects (and the folks from the Champions team deserve an extra cheer for their new stuff by the way) and there are no planned changes to the way any of our games and projects will operate.

So Stormy is here, I am here, Dan and the gang are here, your GMs and QA staff are working hard. It sounds way more dramatic than it actually is."

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:51PM Ryn said

Cryptic has had their times, it's true. But as a STO lifetime member, I have to say they have made some great changes to the game and it only seems to get better.

I think they were rushed to get STO and Champions out to market for the influx of cash to stay afloat. Yes Atari owned them at this time, but bills don't just stop rolling in because of a change in ownership.

I have no doubt that there are some great people working at Cryptic. Some of these people are caught in an unfortunate circumstance. Daniel Stahl. the EP of Star Trek has made a HUGE impression on the game since coming onto the EP role a year ago. I have never seen as many players in game as I have recently.

If you can get past the blind Cryptic hate, and really look at the company and their games from an objective viewpoint, you see they have tried to right the ship. Their game engine is really something else. Just take a look at it and you will see they went the right path with the engine. I however like most others don't like the instancing, and they are working on it. But most games do have some for of instancing. EVE has it, WOW, Guild Wars, LOTRO.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that these are real people with families and feelings. Regardless of what you think of their games or game engine or what not. These are real people. I can only hope they can find a way out of this mess for their sake and their families.

Posted: May 17th 2011 6:54PM tooright said

Hopefully all the other studios dedicated to developing bad games move over to the mobile/casual whatever new cash cow is and stop making terrible MMO's because judging from the comments above the player base is sick of sifting through them and is fresh out of patience , tolerance, and sympathy.

TLDR , go make games for phones , PC gamers are sick of your trash

Posted: May 17th 2011 7:08PM Samael said

I do not wish harm on anyone. And I hate to see people lose their jobs.

But welcome to a capitalistic market, which is a great system. If you make crap, you will not survive.

Cryptic made crap, and then acted like their customers should be extremely grateful for what they were getting.

But disclaimer coming up: I hate Cryptic with a passion, specially Jack Emmeret and Bill Roper. I did wish for Cryptic to fail, simply because I wanted other companies to look at Cryptic and say "Look lets not do that, if we do that, we will fail."

Posted: May 17th 2011 7:33PM (Unverified) said

@Samael

Cryptic make crap. Great statement. Totally agree.

"Thanks for paying for beta testing the game for a year and a half. Also do you want to buy some XP bonus or a ship".

I will give them some credit, they know how to exploit a rabid fan base that love everything Star Trek and fleece em silly. Still George does the same to me but I keep on coming back for more so more fool me :)...

Posted: May 17th 2011 7:55PM Firix said

@(Unverified) STO is a good game. Historically, it has been Atari making the bad decisions.

Posted: May 17th 2011 9:10PM tooright said

@Samael "you make crap, you will not survive."

truer words never spoken

Posted: May 17th 2011 7:24PM Kark said

Yeah Cryptic better get it together now if they are gonna survive TOR. Cryptic is doing better with every new seasong. But they better deliver more on end game content in STO.

Posted: May 17th 2011 7:43PM Noviere said

This was inevitable, really.

Champions Online was a failure at launch, and it still doesn't have enough compelling content to level more than 1 character to max. Cryptic tried to extend what they had periodically with horrible grinds(costume drops, crafted travel powers), but I don't think most people were willing to waste their money for the months of content-drought. Even the adventure packs were few and far between, and they only take 4-5 hours to play through.