Posted: May 16th 2011 11:29PM Lateris said

The list for what they are working on is extremely open and candid compared to other MMO's I have followed and subscribe to play.

Posted: May 17th 2011 1:02AM JonBuck said

The open communication from the devs in this game is one of the big things that's kept me playing.

Posted: May 17th 2011 5:30AM Loopy said

@JonBuck Agreed. Although i am not currently playing (waiting on the ground combat revamp), i absolutely love the communication between Cryptic and STO players. It shows dedication and professionalism and it's appreciated.

Posted: May 17th 2011 5:55AM Snichy said

Once this goes live and I hear some feedback, I may well go back and give this a try. I find myself surprisingly hopeful...!

Posted: May 17th 2011 10:19AM Nottom said

@Snichy Ditto.

Been holding off on other MMO's while I wait for TOR to launch.

Posted: May 17th 2011 8:06AM ActiveNick said

Engineering Reports, Ask Cryptic, frequent forum posts and replies to fan threads, "Twitter leaks" and drops on the STO Facebook page, regular Cryptic devs & managers appearing on fan podcasts... The STO crew is awesome at talking about their game and keep us informed about upcoming changes. They are hard at work on STO and they want us to know about it.

This game is amazing and while not perfect, it just keeps getting better. I'm playing through the featured episodes for the first time now and it feels like playing through an actual top notch action packed Star Trek TV episode.

Season 4 packs so much punch and content, I cannot wait to play it!

Posted: May 17th 2011 10:02AM Malagarr said

I really enjoyed playing STO. I even leveled one of each officer type (tactical, science and engineering) to VA5. If you take your time, and level, it's a lot of fun. Here's where the "but" comes in...

Once you hit VA5, the game no longer feels like Star Trek. You're surrounded by Admirals, not ship's captains. Oh, sure, you can toggle your own rank to that of Captain, but that doesn't change the fact that the game, really, is no longer about a ship and her crew exploring the far reaches of space.

Every once in awhile I have a strong desire to go back to STO. But then I remember that at end game, it's just another MMO...grind out dailies, join a raid, etc... The UGC almost convinced me to come back...almost. But then I remember that I will still be grinding out fleet actions with a bunch of Vice Admirals, and I just can't do it. The game simply loses its immersion factor.

And that's my gripe. I think I'd have been much happier if the game had forced players into playing through the ranks as a crew member rather than a ship's captain, but I would have been plenty happy enough if the ranks had ended simply at Captain.

I know a lot of people still enjoy the game, and I wish them only the best. But as a long time Trekkie, I firmly feel that once you hit end game, STO no longer feels like Star Trek.

Just my opinion. One that I'm voicing in hopes that one day someone will come out with a "real" Star Trek MMO.

Posted: May 17th 2011 2:23PM Tom in VA said

@Malagarr

What slowly killed STO for me were the dull, repetitive missions and the automaton bridge crews, not so much the way the leveling worked -- although I like your idea of a cap at the Captain rank.

Star Trek, the IP, is imo all about (i) clever and creative stories and (ii) interesting substories and dynamics among one's crew and officers.

STO really has neither of these. The "wash-rinse-repeat" nature of far too many of the missions and the total absence of bridge crew characterization pretty much killed my interest in the game.

The Forge and some of the newer episodes have offered some promise on the story front, at least, but for me it's too little too late.

As for the bridge officers, I wish STO could take a page from Bioware's book and learn how to create NPC companions that really have some life and character to them. While it's fun to "make your own" the way STO is currently set up, I'd much rather they had created backstories, missions, etc., for a precreated and thus more dynamic and realistic developer-designed bridge crew.

Posted: May 17th 2011 12:59PM WyattEarp89 said

Once the ground combat is fixed I will be playing this a lot more! Space combat is fun, but, I actually enjoy ground fighting a bit more for some reason. The current system is not too good, so I am looking forward to what they have planned!

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM