Posted: May 15th 2011 8:16AM Apakal said

Of course I'm bitter. I was a late holdout to WoW, not playing until after Ulduar and not seriously raiding until ToC. Regardless, I was passionate about my account. I eventually became one of the better Warlocks on my server and one of the better PvE players overall. I didn't have a ton of free time to raid a serious schedule, but I still put in some effort and did my part to know my class and the fights.

The gear reset in Cataclysm killed it for me. It took me awhile to earn the gear I did. I hadn't been sitting on the best of the best for half the previous expansion like some players. The effort was still fresh. To do it all over again so soon, and to do it in almost exactly the same manner, was just not going to happen. I leveled to 85 and ran enough instances to get gear for Heroics. Then I ran maybe 5 Heroics and hung it up. The content was fine and the zones were wonderful (minus the stupid respawn times), but the gameplay was stale and I couldn't stomach more of the same.

Posted: May 15th 2011 8:51AM pookathedestroyer said

So I guess I'll join the club of bitter WoW people. For me it happened with the dungeon finder. When it stopped being a good time with your friends, and became instead a business of strict gear/points acquisition. Don't talk. Skip whatever bosses possible. "I'm just here for my points."

Granted, you're not forced to use the dungeon finder. I could still (if more than a few of them were still around) painstakingly find four friends of the appropriate roles and que up for a random heroic. And it would probably be more fun than pushing my buttons at the appropriate times until the thingy pops up that says I got my points, thanking everyone for pushing their buttons at the appropriate times, and leaving group.

At this point, it's generally assumed that enjoying yourself is synonymous with being a horrible player. I've noticed, again as a generality, that the first person to be all, "Hai guyz!" in a random group is also the person who is going to do swiftly something spectacularly retarded. And I think that's pretty sad. I'm not expecting a new best friend or two with every random. I just feel like the dungeon finder killed any sense of community that was left by making it a business.

Posted: May 16th 2011 11:43PM Quarlo said

@pookathedestroyer

I agree 110%. I played WoW daily since launch. When my guildmates took months or years off, I played. I was the rock that my guild was built on. I had tanks and healers to assist any group to fill any role. I had crafters and gatherers to produce any product in game if anyone needed it.

I raided, I quested, I did dailies and never gave it a second thought that what I was doing today was the same thing I had done everyday for the last month. I was conent.

Then the Dungeon Finder shows us the true nature of the WoW player. Within a week I was sickened by the game to the point where I handed my guild off to a friend, cancelled my account and deleted the game from my hard drive.

I consider myself saved.

Posted: May 15th 2011 8:53AM (Unverified) said

I'm bitter about WoW, mainly because the developers have always said they were thinking about features such as housing, cosmetic gear slots or the dance studio but never took time to implement them. Instead it's all about more instanced content since that's where the most money comes from. To not enrich the game and expand its type of content, yeah no, not too happy about that.

Posted: May 15th 2011 10:19AM Rayko said

@(Unverified)

Took the words out of my mouth. I also have a love/hate of WoW for making the game more main stream. This has lead to the original target audience of MMO players ( pen and paper role players ) to be replaced by regular video gamers. The success of WoW means more MMOs made than would have before but the bar has been lowered, player quality wise.

Posted: May 15th 2011 12:44PM Borick said

@(Unverified) But you were supposed to follow the example of your betters and put your nose to that grindstone!

This isn't about fun! These games are competitive! Game design is a dog-eat-dog world! You don't just become a wealthy corporate whore by engineering fun, despite what gets said.

It's not your world. It's theirs, and 'multiplayer' means drop and give me twenty. There is no 'I' in team.

Yeah. I'm sick of it too.

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:17PM xBludx said

@Rayko

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "quality wise" but I agree to that expression.

I've been having fun with people in my guild. If not for that, the community overall has really deteriorated since when I started just after the BC launch. For example, there have always been "bad names" in WoW but I've noticed a lot more of them recently at max level. Usually those people didn't seem to make it far out of Barrens.

Now I can see names like "Ucantbeatme" and "Iwanttokillu" at 85 and it's sad. It tells me there are a lot more messed up adolescents playing now than before.

Also, in my opinion of course, the world is really attractive and there are a lot of things to see and do, yet it's totally empty. That also makes me a bit sad. This seems like poor design. Why make all the theme park rides and resign the old world if no one will use it?

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:13AM (Unverified) said

WoW, bitter to the bone from TBC on, in TBC I saw what they were doing to the game and I turned a blind eye for a bit. but wrath sealed the deal of never playing again, now i hear blizzard is throwing up old raids with some shiny new paint... millions are playing and they still have the balls to charge monthly for subscription for these half ass "new" raids. ugh ahhh!

just thinking about what they are doing makes me angry.

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:14AM Dril said

In no particular order:

-Trion: for talking about dynamic content and a classic MMO experience, whilst delivering neither.
-Astrum Nival/gpotato: for the general mismanagement of Allods.
-SOE: for giving up on Vanguard and just being SOE.
-Mythic: for their continued failure to make WAR's combat fun in any way.
-BioWare/FunCom/CCP/The Blokes Developing ArcheAge: for not releasing TOR/TSW/WoD/ArcheAge soon enough.

Posted: May 15th 2011 10:07AM Loopy said

@Dril "-Blizzard: for making a string of changes that I absolutely detest, but still having the nerve to make me resubscribe and level another alt because of the fluidity and polish that's unique to WoW."

- This. I hate the fact that the game which changed so much to my dislike is also the most polished and one of the smoothest gameplay-wise MMOs out there.

Posted: May 15th 2011 4:46PM Tristik said

@Dril -Blizzard: for making a string of changes that I absolutely detest, but still having the nerve to make me resubscribe and level another alt because of the fluidity and polish that's unique to WoW."

Like the other guy said, you hit the nail on the head here. A lot of the 4.0 changes I felt were unneeded and poorly thought out, but the game is so smooth and combat is fluid which still makes it enjoyable. The other part is: Since it retains most of the people I know online, trying new games is tough cause no one comes with me.

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:34AM alzeer said

SE: for ruining what could have been my new mmo home

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:48AM Irem said

@alzeer
Assuming you're referring to FFXIV, this. :/ I could manage a good ten pages of bitterness on this alone.

Posted: May 15th 2011 2:39PM wfseg said

@Irem
:( yeah

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:34AM Wisdomandlore said

Guild Wars 2: Because it's not out. Come on already.

Posted: May 15th 2011 4:13PM Borick said

@Wisdomandlore

Made in America still means something to me. We sold our creativity away when we started offshoring the technical aspects of animation and game design.

I think that we still retain the best developers right here in the U.S.A, but are they willing to adapt and survive?

Posted: May 15th 2011 9:38AM (Unverified) said

SWG turning unlocking your Jedi into a massive holocron grindfest. I remember at the time that seemingly no one did anything else but grind professions hoping to unlock their Jedi and with something like 36 professions in the game you could be in for some serious self-abuse. I had really looked forward to that game and to see them do that to it only a few months into release was........well, fortunately, it is just a game!

Posted: May 15th 2011 11:55AM Matix said

@(Unverified)

That was bad enough... but the whole rigging polls (skewing questions, and even then resetting polls to get the result they wanted), lying to us about upcoming content, and lying about what players were telling SOE...

@OP:

Yeah, I'm bitter. What bites me the worst about the SWG debacle are the SOE-fanbois who didn't care about what was happening as long as they got what they wanted, and to this day lie and defend SOE.

It may not be politically correct of sensitive or whatever, but I don't feel sorry one iota for the fanbois affected by this whole SOE hacking fiasco. I'm not saying hacking is ever right, but SERIOUSLY now, I'm loving this way too much.

The fanbois knew SOE was about taking the money and fixing things later (... probably... maybe... next patch, we swear!). It's like having a pet cobra and being shocked you got bitten... I mean, sheesh. SOE screws people over and does slipshod work.

This hacking thing was an eventuality I predicted years back. You don't lie to people to get their money and then lie about people when they get mad, and then think no one will come after you. And then you have a slidshod bubble-gum defense that's the equivalent of an open door with a sign reading "valuable stuff here" over it?!

An apology. That's all I've ever asked for. You took over a grand and a year of my life SOE, and I can't get a "We're Sorry, we won't do it again (until the next time)!"?!

I hope SWTOR can brighten that dark place SWG left. But until then,
I hope SOE goes under. I'm just that bitter.

Posted: May 15th 2011 2:36PM Borick said

@Matix

If the latest Sony debacle tells us anything, it's that corporate privacy policies are inadequate for protecting the private data of their subscribers.

We need to take back ownership of our privacy, and bring the corporations to heel regarding what data they are allowed to track and make use of. No, you don't need to keep my credit card number on file. No, you do not get to claim ownership of my location and activity data. It is only held in use, and only for as long as the player maintains his consent.

Posted: May 15th 2011 6:02PM Matix said

@Borick I agree completely. At the same time, companies have a legal duty to use--at the very least--reasonable care when entrusted with sensitive data. While I won't even try to suggest that a "perfect" security platform exists, the fact is that independent MMO companies have made use of the better technology available.

I won't claim to have inside info on SOE' inner workings, but the facts are pretty clear: better safe-guards exist, and SOE didn't feel like shelling out the cash to implement them until the slipshod protections resulted in a PR and legal nightmare.

And my point is that's how SOE's rolled for years.