Posted: May 13th 2011 6:05PM Loopy said

Smart. They are emphasizing all the things that a major group of people has been asking for years in WoW. I think they are definitely showing that they are not afraid of Blizzard.

Sure, some people may think these are desperate measures. But i disagree. I think their intention is to get people to move out of their comfort zones and taste the "other stuff" too.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:09PM JoolaPrime said

@Loopy
Yeah, desperate is not what came to mind for me.

Posted: May 13th 2011 7:05PM sortius said

@Loopy While I stopped playing rift after a month (I think I'm over fantasy MMOs), they are definitely doing a better job than Blizzard with regard to pushing the envelope. They listen to the majority of the player base rather than the vocal few like Blizzard does.

This is just another step in the right direction. I can think of massive chunks of WoW that very few visit because it's either tedious, devoid of life, or just a valid use of time (XP/hr rate isn't high enough).

Posted: May 13th 2011 7:41PM Irem said

@Loopy
Yeah, it's a really good move on their part. Cosmetic armor, player housing, paying attention to enriching the game world...it may have started out being very similar to WoW,* but I wouldn't be surprised to see it head off in very different directions eventually once they figure out what works for them. They're certainly not married to the same ideas Blizzard is.

*This is not meant as a slight. I'm very fond of RIFT.

Posted: May 13th 2011 11:49PM Sorithal said

@Loopy

Trion seems to be a pretty darn smart group of developers. They know what the players want in games like WoW, and they work to deliver it rather than ignore it.

If I actually had the time/money to play an MMO, RIFT would definitely be what I'd be playing right now. Until SW:TOR comes out >.>

Posted: May 15th 2011 12:58PM Skyydragonn said

@sortius
While I do agree I feel I have to ask "whats the point?"
We all know by now that blizzard will just incorporate whatever 'new hotness' other companies bring to the table. hell look at how much of the defualt WoW UI was created based on user made Mods and addons. If blizzard smells something successful thay reiterate and incorporate it into WoW. I'm sure we will see the next WoW expansion incorporate "Rifts" of some sort, like the ages old elemental invasions done in the current style that Rift is using.

Posted: May 16th 2011 3:54AM (Unverified) said

@Skyydragonn

Well that's the point, as long as there is competition everyone benefits. By competing everyone is trying to get a one up on the competition by innovating and trying out new things, some ideas work and some don't but overall the MMO market progresses instead of stagnating.

Posted: May 19th 2011 6:26PM (Unverified) said

@Loopy

While it's certainly nice that they're incorporating all these things they seem to come at the cost of more useful additions such as Guild banks and the like.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:08PM JoolaPrime said

sandbox elements = awesome. Already plenty of theme park type stuff to keep ppl busy. Will be nice to see more of this kinda stuff

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:10PM Germaximus said

lol@the video
Awesome.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:12PM Carolina said

The forecast is cute.

If they do end up with housing, I hope they make it "free form" like in EQ2. Lotro's housing is so boring with just the locked slots to put objects :(

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:14PM cowboyhugbees said

@Carolina Agreed. The biggest problem with LOTRO's housing system is lack of utility - aside from RP and the occasional box of extra storage, what's the point?

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:13PM watchawatch said

wonder if you'll end up having to defend your home from invaders?

Posted: May 14th 2011 2:44PM Rialle said

@watchawatch

Maybe not personal houses, but guild halls that had to be defended from invaders would be a much better than the often cosmetic features in other games.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:13PM Alboreo said

Sounds fantastic. I know that player housing and guild halls are two things that I've been wanting to see since beta, so I'm glad to see that the developers are at least acknowledging it.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:15PM cowboyhugbees said

I'll tell you what, if they end up designing a killer housing system, I would jump into RIFT in a heartbeat - even after all of my criticisms of it.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:49PM Yellowdancer said

@cowboyhugbees

The lead designer said he hates housing systems but they're adding it because players keep bothering him about it on the forums and every meet and greet.

Posted: May 13th 2011 7:21PM Faction 3 said

@cowboyhugbees Same here, I've said time & again, I have no interest in Rift, or desire to play (Nothing against the game at all, just not in the mood for a Fantasy MMO right now), but if they get a decent Housing System up, and maintain the game the way they have, I'll be all over this.

Easily until GW2 hits.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:17PM Rayko said

"and unlike flash-in-the-pan MMOs, RIFT continues to innovate the MMO space"

Rift has been out less than three months and you make this comment ? It's statements like this that make people doubt the autonomy of this website.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:54PM WhatDeficit said

@Rayko Agreed. Rift does a lot of things right... Innovate is not one of them.