Posted: May 13th 2011 10:19AM Yarr said

One thing they could do is lift the 8 character limit (that is 8 total, not just 8 per server, on a subscription game no less!) and let everyone roll 8 characters of each faction. That also would have helped with the lower population servers too. But we're talking NCWest, who seem pretty clueless about such things, even though back when the game went live they were supposed to remove those character limits "soon". Like the free server transfers that were coming "soon" and took over a year. And those emotes we're still waiting on... etc.

Now that the US is down to 4 servers, let everyone have 16 Asmodians (on two of the servers) and 16 Elyos on the other two. Assuming anyone would be willing to roll that many. I've got 7 Asmo and 1 Elyos, but would be willing to roll a few more of either side on any server that needed balancing.

Posted: May 13th 2011 3:07PM wfseg said

@Yarr

This. i hated how they limited the whole account to only 8.

Posted: May 13th 2011 11:01AM Aventis said

Its good to see NCWest doing something to at least try fix the problem on the servers who are Elyos dominated servers, seems they are heading in the right direction now specially with 2.5 now on PTS and about to be live :)

Posted: May 13th 2011 11:19AM Saker said

I always wanted to give this game a look, but never saw a trial. Or maybe there was some little weird 3 day, or something? I won't even bother to download something for anything less then 14days.

Posted: May 13th 2011 11:31AM (Unverified) said

@Saker

Asmos ftw! Hopefully this will help out some of the more imbalanced servers, though I don't think mine (Israphel) is one of those. My friends and I just got back into Aion to prep for 2.5 and it's definitely a very different game from 2009. A lot of fun now and certainly worth checking out. Unfortunately yeah, the trial is still very limited - 3 days, 5 hours /played, or level 7. Whichever comes first. You'd think two years later they'd have eased up on that.

Posted: May 14th 2011 12:35AM Protoavis said

@Saker

If there isn't any trail out you can just get the server files (they were leaked long time ago) and set up a private server for yourself *shrug*

Posted: May 13th 2011 11:59AM Aventis said

I sense a proper free trail for the game coming out VERY soon after 2.5, mark my words! Aion is nothing like it use to be back in launch 09

Posted: May 13th 2011 1:24PM Taawa said

I thought the Asmodian areas were so beautiful when I played at launch. When I'm ready to take another break from WAR, maybe I'll take another look a month or so post-patch, even if it's just to enjoy the scenery for some nice escapism. We still have a few months before SWTOR don't we? There's time for an Aion vacation isn't there?

Posted: May 13th 2011 1:47PM Icemasta said

I used to be Asmo, I fought teeth and nail on a Elyos dominated server. When they did the server merge, I hoped balance would come, sadly, it didn't happen, and then the server transfer thing that caused ridiculously stacked races killed the game.

Asmos has always been the PVP faction in my book. Elyos more the PVE one, although both delved in both fields, in a server with a population of 60elyos/40asmo, the numbers were pretty even on the battlefield. The difference was during peek hours. No matter what you wanted to do, elyos would just come in number and ruin your efforts.

This lead to stacked elyos for people who wants to PVE and simply zerg PVP (which is a good tactic I guess) and asmos regrouped on a single server, but eventually left because all the elyos transferred out of the server to stack on an already big elyos population.

The problem isn't the game, it's the players, as I've stated before. When server transfer was still free, the majority of asmodians joined a single server that was high in elyos population for PVP. It lasted a week until the next population transfer where all the elyos carebears moved out and it turned from a 50/50 to a 65/35 asmo/elyos. I am not saying all elyos were cowards, but the majority of the players that I've encountered on my elyos alts didn't want to do PVP at all (in a PVP centric mmo). I basically faction switched at that point, to try out the PVE on the server with the lowest Elyos faction, and whenever asmos would do something, either nobody cared or a very very large group would form to fight in a 2:1 ratio at least. It wasn't fun at all.

Posted: May 13th 2011 3:08PM augustgrace said

Always loved Aion despite the complete lack of western support and its other issues. I've been saving a time card and this is enough to make me break it out and give the game another go.

Posted: May 14th 2011 11:10AM Yarr said

@Tempes Magus

I think with a game like Aion, where both sides are practically the same for all intents, and that has open world PvP plus gear level based dominance, it is more than just balance dictating how things will play out as to player side choice.

It seems many of the MMORPG devs just don't understand human nature. People in general want to be on the winning side no matter what. They also, aside from a few individuals, want to have an advantage in any type of PvP, no matter what they might say. Given a chance they almost always will go for a zerg over fair fights, not to mention those that only want unfair gank type combat.

Many (most?) Aion servers started out Asmo dominated. It looked like we were going to have the opposite problem there is today, too few Elyos players. But several things happened. First, players discovered it was somewhat easier & faster to level as an Elyos, thanks to some better designed areas, easier rifting and some quite handy open world bosses. Then there were mass bannings of players for botting (as well as bannings for no reason) which hit the Asmo side pretty hard. In-figthing among legions over fortress sieges didn't help and large numbers (entire legions in some cases) switched sides once the Abyss forts stayed mostly Elyos controlled and that was the breaking point. If you have control of the majority of the forts you can easily level and get top line gear faster than the other faction. The AI controlled third faction which was supposed to prevent that was (and still mostly is) broken.

The players (including many Elyos) pleaded with NCWest to fix this. NCWest couldn't be bothered. The CMs at the time would rather argue semantics on the forums, mess with Twitter, or play some stupid location internet game than do their job. While it is easier to blame the players, the facts are NCWest (and NCSoft itself) failed to understand these things and refused to take any corrective actions until far too late. The players in the west are indeed different in play style than those in Asia. Even Europe and NorthAm have some obvious differences in how players prefer to approach things. While the larger numbers of players in Asia helped with balance some, it seems they also had/have some similar problems with the game.

Aion is actually a great game. It isn't revolutionary, but it is a solid game. Honestly, it is far more polished than Rift gets credit for being (check out the differences in game control response, animation smoothness, combat flow, etc., and keep in mind I think Rift is a very polished game in fact), but it isn't an easy mode WoW clone like Rift; and I really don't mean that as a put down of Rift or WoW, they are just a different style of play, but all three are based on a theme park mode of play. Aion was really supposed to be a more westernized version of Lineage II, rather than just WoW with wings. Many of us wanted a game you couldn't quickly reach level cap in a few weeks to a month or two, but not with the insane grind of Lineage II or Final Fantasy, or gank-fest PvP. If NCWest had been on top of things and responsive like, say, Trion, this wouldn't have happened.

Aion, as it is now, has fixed many of the problems or at least put a bandage on them (like rifting, for instance, bandaged but not fixed). It is a fun game, but still has some PvP issues, plus some PvE things that could be improved (seriously, manastone / enchantment stone failure design is just stupid, along with character instead of account based bound fluff items). While it seems the higher ups in NCWest and NCSoft still have their heads in the sand most of the time, at least the current CMs & GMs do seem to actually play the game now and are trying to improve things as much as they can within the stupid, boneheaded restrictions their bosses seem intent on forcing on the game. The actual Korean devs are doing a good job improving the interface, adding new features and content, and I think many of us still playing are fairly happy with the game itself, unless they are a hardcore PvPer. But we aren't so happy with the people in charge and some of the pointless limitations they put on the game or the refusal to try changes until far too late.

Posted: May 14th 2011 11:19AM Yarr said

@Yarr

Wow, I just posted an insane wall of text there! :)

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM