Posted: May 12th 2011 11:07AM (Unverified) said

So they hired someone that was initially responsible for the flunk that was the original APB?

How is that smart? Looks like they want to go in the same direction as before but just under the guise of f2p.

I guess I know what game to not play or put money into since its bound to flop again with the same direction.

Posted: May 12th 2011 11:15AM PrimeSynergy said

Yeah, I'm not here to bash this game or anything, but I watched an interview with the producer of APB and I could've sworn he said it was because of the people in charge that the game flopped like it did in the first place. He was saying they had great ideas, but their priorities were all wrong if memory serves right.

I guess the whole f2p thing will make a big difference though with time constraints and funding and such, but still. It just seems odd to hire back someone who was part of the original problem allegedly.

Posted: May 12th 2011 12:01PM Ryukan said

I played the game during beta and it was decent but not something that I thought was worth p2p. I thought about trying it out with the reincarnation but after reading up on the game from various forums I think I will pass.

It seems like the exact same game almost with the same problems it had before and some new features (one in particular) that just suck. Still the same match imbalances, hacks, bugs and such, but now you don't get to own the weapons you use, you have to rent them.. FAIL! Perhaps you can buy weapons to own from the cash shop, but that is pretty lame as well. Restrictions on standard and necessary items like weapons is a terrible design decision.

Posted: May 12th 2011 2:31PM Superjudge said

@Ryukan

Fail? Have you really played in the closed beta? They have addressed issues having to do with vehicle control, weapon imbalances, the convoluted unlock system and many other things.

As far as renting weapons goes who really cares? What this system does is to ensure that someone is not able to come in on day one and buy their way to the top unlike the RTW version. You can't trade or sell the weapons to other people which is honestly the way the game should have been done in the first place.

The game play comes down to skill vs skill now. The starter Star 556 is quite adequate for most any situation. I have been in many a match where statistically I was "outgunned" by other players with better weaponry and most of the time I come out on top even with the starter gear. The best gear that anyone has in this game now is their brain.

They have even fixed the less than lethal weaponry. I don't mind getting stunned and arrested because I know the player actually had to work for the stun rather than having a sniper LtL shotgun.

The bottom line is that is is and it is not the same game that RTW gave us. I am more than willing to give GamersFirst the chance to make it what it could have been rather than simply dismissing it as "fail".

Posted: May 12th 2011 12:26PM Daemodand said

Wake up sleepy Jean!

Posted: May 12th 2011 12:50PM (Unverified) said

I am guessing it is handy to have someone around who knows where the original ideas were going rather than having a load of code and trying to figure out what the heck the former owners were doing with it.

Advisory to me just means he is answering odd questions and possibly helping to finish developing an idea that they had started in the first game.

I guess we will see if all this work will pay off or not.

Posted: May 12th 2011 2:33PM augustgrace said

Is the pool of candidates in the game industry so small that they have no choice, but to hire the same bad directors over and over?

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:27PM Zyrusticae said

To my complete lack of surprise, nobody posting here seems to have any good business sense.

The reason the original APB failed was awful, terrible management. It had nothing to do with the competence of its employees. As Dave Jones is simply in an advisory role, he can't cock things up like he did when in a management position in RTW.

Now, whether or not the new management at G1 is any better is another matter entirely...

Posted: May 12th 2011 8:00PM augustgrace said

@Zyrusticae

You don't think Dave Jones, Co-founder of Realtime Worlds and creative director had anything to do with management?!

Not only was Jones part of the management that ran Apb and Realtimes Worlds into the ground, but he was also the creative head who made the design/revenue systems behind Apb that helped bury the game in record time.

Posted: May 13th 2011 12:33AM Zyrusticae said

@augustgrace

You totally didn't read my post. Like, at all.

I SAID the game failed because of the management. I SAID Dave Jones is NOT in a management position for APB: Reloaded. Very clearly.

I mean, really. I can't... I can't do anything else. That is what I said. What is so difficult about this?

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:28PM Itoao said

I am waiting for this game and I am no so sure it is a good thing to have him join and work on this project.
It would seem the old way they wanted to run the game as well as the overall philosophy did not work out so well.

Posted: May 12th 2011 8:30PM stealthrider said

So long as he's kept away from the cash, its a good move.

APB was Dave's dream, and if there's anyone that can keep G1 from straying too far from what makes APB great, it's him.

Posted: May 13th 2011 6:19AM corpusc said

now Dave only has his fingers in the part of the pie he was good at.

if you don't think the APB concept was good, it doesn't seem you have much point posting on this topic.

now Dave can focus exclusively on that and not be in charge of the pricing model, or the many logistics of running all the various systems necessary in a big company. THOSE were the problems of the past....

THOSE problems can't happen again in this current arrangement. this should be easy to understand.