Posted: May 12th 2011 2:40PM Fakeassname said

Just another example how all you really need in a keyboard is basic functionality and comfort.

memorizing the functions of 36 distinct hotkeys is worthless when the game in question doesn't actually recognize those keys as new keys and all your doing is setting up macros for "F1 to F12", "SHIFT+F1 to F12", and "CTRL+F1 to F12."

The only reason I still keep my n52te plugged in is because I spent $50 on it and it hurts too much to pitch it in the toybox.

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:09PM 10thDoctor said

I still use my n52 for every single game I play.

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:15PM Fakeassname said

@10thDoctor

your a better man than me, I lack the will to spend the time it takes getting that thing set up properly for each game.

Posted: May 12th 2011 4:49PM Joshinu said

@Fakeassname I use my n52 for every game I play on the computer. I haven't had to remap the keys since I found a setup I was comfortable with. I used it in WoW, FFXIV (though the controls for the game itself were a pain), DCUO, Rift and even Minecraft never changing my key mapping once I set it up the way I liked. I didn't have it when I played Aion briefly but it would have worked the same for that.

Now if I were playing an FPS game that may be a different story but I don't play many of those. I haven't used a Naga but my friend got one for Christmas last year and loves it. The only thing I would like on my n52 would be one more button that I could use as a modifier. I guess I could bind jump to something else but I'll admit it, I'm a jumper in any game I play.

I will say that it did take some getting used to the n52. I had to keep going back and forth between it and my keyboard when I was figuring it out. Not something you want to do when tanking hard modes....

Posted: May 12th 2011 4:52PM Joshinu said

@Joshinu Now that I think about it, I could get a multi-button mouse (I don't like using my mouse for more than turning and clicking npc's and items in my inventory) and set those to modifiers. I'll have to try that out soon. Pretty much all I use my keyboard for these days is typing and with vent I really don't do that much passed logging into the game.

Posted: May 12th 2011 2:42PM discopete said

Really great review! I've had this keyboard for a few months and love it, but I agree it takes some fiddling with to get it set up correctly. First, I would be hard pressed to call it very useful if you DON'T already have a Naga. The thumb modifier keys seem to be pretty explicitly set up to work with the number keys on the Naga so you can load up multiple action bars. This really clicked with me with Razer's WoW add on, which lets you assign modifier keys to whole action bars at a time rather than having to do it one key at a time. I've subsequently disabled the add on (for some reason I like UI chrome) and manually programmed everything, but once I got used to it I have a hard time playing without it. Here's hoping they release the Mac drivers soon!

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:39PM Dreadwood said

Personally? I think this is a terrible keyboard. Well, perhaps that's not fair. It would be more accurate to say that Razor should not dabble in keyboards due to lack of making something functional.

I purchased an Anansi for a friend over Christmas and she had to send the bloody thing back 4 times before she actually received a keyboard that could work. Each time, certain keys just simply did not work.

At first, I left it at just a simple defective product amongst many. I can forgive that- it happens! Nothing is ever perfect, no matter how exact it is. When it happened a second time, I felt cheated, and the third and fourth time, I kind of wish they'd just sent her some sort of gift card instead of the keyboard. She does finally have one that works though, but the whole ordeal has left the item with a soured little history.

I'd advise against getting an Anansi.

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:53PM yeppers said

@Dreadwood

I had a similar problem with one of their mice a couple of years ago. Paid something like $50 for what I thought was a good mouse. By the time I got it, it just seemed cheap. Really lightweight and the buttons clicked in a way that seemed like they would break quickly with moderate use. Maybe they've changed their quality since then but I just ended up going back to a G5.

Someone would really have to win me over bigtime to switch keyboards. A simple $10 USB keyboard has served its purpose well-enough for years with no problems. There are a few bells and whistles I wouldn't mind -- like the lighted keys or a few extra buttons near my left hand -- but it's not enough for me to want to pay a lot of money for I'd rather spend on a game.

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:48PM Araxes said

I've tried Razer products twice before. Given the retail cost, I don't find them to be worth it. I'm sure a lot of people really get great use out of them, but for my purposes of general computing and MMO gaming, I've just not found the uber-mice and keyboards to be that advantageous. I also tried the Nostromo, which was a much more functional device for serious MMO gaming, but it was so foreign to handle that I simply returned it and went back to conventional WASD + mouse. :) I keep an eye on Razer, though, just in case they ever release something as awesome as their Mako speakers, again. (The Ferox doesn't cut it.)

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:57PM nathanb said

I use a Merc Stealth by Ideazon which was bought by another company or a re-brand or something. I love the expanded gaming pad and find it very comfortable to use, and I'm disappointed that they don't continue the design. I'm not sure what I'll do once the keyboard goes belly up from a beer spilled on it.

As for Razer.... well, I bought an expensive "laser" mouse from them and it died after a month of use. I'm jaded. Must be because there were no sharks. I won't go back to a Razer product. I'm now using a Stealseries Ikari and the glass mouse pad and it's a great combo.

I know, nothing to do with the review. :)

Posted: May 12th 2011 4:52PM kobeathris said

@nathanb

I use the Merc Stealth too, and it is hands down the best keyboard you can buy for gaming. It takes a little while to get used to the weird layout of the numpad and arrow keys on the right hand side, but that is the only thing wrong with it, and I would rather it be setup that way than be 3 inches wider.

Posted: May 12th 2011 6:33PM Fakeassname said

@kobeathris

"Steelseries"

they didn't even bother to change the name ...

Posted: May 12th 2011 4:26PM (Unverified) said

I've had plenty of good luck with Razer mice. I especially enjoy the Razer Orochi (bluetooth mouse) that I got to go with my various laptops. Works great with my MBP, Air and my old Gateway.

My keyboard is a blank DasKeyboard. I have too much fun with it.

Posted: May 12th 2011 4:41PM enamelizer said

I would really like to see a comparison of this product vs. a Logitech G15/G19.

Which gives me an idea, I think an article on macroing keystrokes with these types of devices (or in general) would create a most excellent nerd debate. It is almost overlooked that these keyboards can be used for limited botting.

Posted: May 12th 2011 5:00PM (Unverified) said

I'll stick to my Cyborg V.5 keyboard and Cyborg R.A.T. 3 mouse. Both work awesome and have never let me down in any game.

Posted: May 12th 2011 5:56PM (Unverified) said

I wouldn't mind trying this keyboard but I can't justify buying any other gaming keyboard ever since I obtained my Ideazon SteelSeries Merc Stealth. Hands down the best all around gaming keyboard out there so far.

I have the Merc Stealth coupled with the Razor Naga and I never have to remove my right hand from my mouse in any game I play. All the movement keys are nicely positioned and the modifier keys (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT) are in a perfect position for my left hand pinky to activate them on the fly without thinking about it. I have absolute control over my characters in WoW (when I used to play) and Rift and maintain full functionality within any other game I may be playing.

The only cons I have with this set up is that for long gaming sessions, my arms and hands and pretty much everything else remains in the same general position so I find that I need to stretch and take a break every once in a while (which should be done anyways).

I suggest to anyone that is interested to search google for some photos of the Merc Stealth so you can see the game pad they've tacked on to the far left of the keyboard. I highly recommend this set up!

Posted: May 12th 2011 6:00PM Ashane said

This guy obviously hasnt tried many mice if he thinks the Naga is the best there is first of all.

The R.A.T. 3-5-9 series especially is far more comfortable for the hand, not to mention Logitech.

Then you've got the G series of keyboards from Logitech, which have had Windows disable keys for years, and years (shocker apparently to the reviewer.. and everyone who plays FF11!) .

Stick with MMO reviews. Leave the hardware reviews to people who actually know what they are talking about :/

Posted: May 12th 2011 6:05PM Scarecrowe said

Good review, thanks. There were too many odd placings of keys/buttons/functions that made me stay away from this one. And it appears I'm not the only one.

Posted: May 13th 2011 8:50AM Snichy said

Great article - I would love Massively to do more hardware based features as it really interests me.

I was looking at getting an MMO keyboard for ages to go with my Naga and like others, I opted for a Merc Stealth not least because the movement keys were on the left and it gives better balance with the mouse. Not just that, there are literally hundreds of buttons in easy reach (although I only end up using a few, but they are really well positioned and comfortable). Would highly recommend it.

Posted: May 13th 2011 12:00PM spamero said

nah.. stay away from Razer products.. they just breake... or don't work out of the box... looks cool and dandy but when it comes to quality its way overpriced