Posted: May 12th 2011 3:57AM UnSub said

I'll check it out later on, and perhaps that will mean as a F2P person I'll have 2 missions to play through per day.

Posted: May 12th 2011 6:02AM Protoavis said

@UnSub

^ noticed that too, they've really taken a liberty with calling it free to play considering how they limit playing even more than Champions Online do unless you want to play the exact same mission over and over since pretty much every bit of content requires you to sub or unlock it with real world $$$.

Which is another major concern with Marvel Universe Online that I have, same company, also "free to play" (seriously when 99% of content it locked behind a sub it's not free to play no matter how you paint it).

Posted: May 12th 2011 12:36PM Daemodand said

@Protoavis SHSO really isn't a game that you'd sink 2+ hours a day into like most MMOs. The daily quest free players get is more than enough (especially if you're an adult; what adult could stomach more than that?), and you get to play a new one every day. Very casual content for a very casual game.

But yes, if they go this route with MUO, they're in trouble. But I consider MUO pretty much dead on arrival anyway with the creative direction they've gone.

Posted: May 12th 2011 3:14PM Canucklehead said

A few words on SHSO...

This game is really for the kids. I have 2 boys aged 4 and 6, and they absolutely love this game. 9/10! I have a blast playing with them and seeing the various Marvel characters doing silly things (Cyclops' armpit farts and Thor's heavy metal antics). Once kids get closer to age 11 or 12, my guess is that this game will not cut it.

The free content is fun and accessible in my opinion. It's only the character 'purchases' that are restricted. You can play Thing, Cyclops, Ms. Marvel, and Falcon for free in all zones (watch out for Magneto and his army of pots, pans, and irons). If you want to access Spider-man, Hulk, and others, then you need to subscribe.

Posted: May 12th 2011 5:13PM Enikuo said

This is a cute kid's game. But, I think if you're going to subscribe, there are better options at that price point - Wizard101, Free Realms, and even Lego Universe give you more bang for your buck. The SHSO prize wheel is set up to throttle subscribers so that you can only gather gold so fast. That's not necessarily bad in an of itself, but I think they overdid it. However, when you do finally start collecting stuff, it soon becomes obvious that the missions, the heroes, and the monsters are so alike that it's only really fun in a novelty sense.

Personally, I think if your kid is really into the Super Hero Squad, you'd be better off buying them any of the single player games for one of the multiple platforms they're available on. That said, the addition of the card game, which wasn't available when I played, may make the sub worthwhile.

Posted: May 15th 2011 6:34AM (Unverified) said

I've been a huge Marvel fan since I was a kid, and I'm 30 years old now. I'm also someone who's interested in computer graphics, and I enjoy the graphic style of the Super Hero Squad Online and Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet games... especially the simplistic and stylized forms. I knew this was a game oriented at kids, but I paid for a one month subcription just to check out all the characters and levels. It's true that I won't find it interesting beyond the month, but I don't really hold that against the game. After checking it out I'm going to recommend it for my nephews and my friends' kids.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014