Posted: May 10th 2011 3:43PM DrOoo said

Good news. JB are a little broken. In a game a like EVE were there is a lot of planning and preparation, completely removing the effects distance usually have on fights is a horrible idea. Instant reinforcements make any engagement between two fully committed entities to develop into a blob fest. There's no flanking or strategical strikes just blob the shit out of each other during the most convenient timezones.

Hopefully CCP truly overhauls nullsec warfare and develop it intro a truly exciting form on PvP for someone other than the FC.

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:00PM ScottishViking said

The roamer-skirmisher in me -- actually, the anti-blobber in me -- thinks this is a good change. Hopefully this will lead to more decisive and committed engagements. "Removing the effects of distance," as DrOoo noted, is indeed a bad thing.

All that said, some of the larger alliances are going to sh*t bricks.

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:17PM (Unverified) said

Eve is that girl you want to date so bad, but she lives out of state. I try Eve out every couple monthes, and there so many things I like about. You have a great community, and there so much depth to the game. What kills it for me is the training... I wish skillpoints were rewarded by work done, and missions. Logging in once a day to retrain, and not do anything else because you really can't use a new ship.... it's really a buzz kill for me. I like the notion of sandbox, but I wish there was some better guidance in growth through missions, I got stuck in three systems doing the same 5 mission lines over and over, got rather boring, but I had no clue where to go. I love to see some co-op missions (there maybe this type of stuff, and I just never saw it).

Eve how I yearn for you...

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:51PM fallwind said

@(Unverified) What kills me is the utter lack of early PVE content.

It always felt like I was waiting to do what I wanted to do... "you must be this awesome to get on this ride".

I wanted to look at wormholes.. sorry, you need X class ship for that
I wanted to try PVP... sorry, you need X bill ISK to cover your losses
I wanted to try playing the market... sorry, you can only post 5 listing until you spend days training.

The one thing I could do off the start was missions... and after the 5th or 6th time through the exact. same. missions I finally realized that this game just wasn't for me.

and I really wish it was! It looks so cool, I love the economic game, I love the idea of null-sec... I just hate that to do anything that I want I'm basically looking at months and months of stuff I dont. Kinda reminds me of looking forward to summer while in gradeschool tbh.

Posted: May 10th 2011 5:14PM Ebaon said

@fallwind I think the issue you are having is because you're trying to play the game alone. You can do, literally, all of the things you talked about with the help of friends.

You may be training to fly a new type of ship, but that doesn't preclude you from using a smaller (note: not a -worse-) ship than you would like but the job can still be done efficiently and profitably.

I was of the same mindset myself, resubbing every now and again from 07ish until now and only in the last few months have I really, truly fell in love with the game because I've finally decided to focus on one thing that I enjoy most and have found a corporation which supports and focuses on the same thing.

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:19PM DrewIW said

FINALLY

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:31PM Tantabobo said

Why are they working on this mundane issue when there are some many more serious issues with 00? Honestly, while JBs make life easier for large alliances and may cause some pain for small hit squads being outmaneuvered by blobs there are far more serious issues affecting 00 that need to be addressed first.

Posted: May 11th 2011 7:52AM Dirame said

@Tantabobo

It seems they are handling the pennies and getting to the pounds, that is they are taking care of the small issues and are planning for the big issues as the blog suggests.... if you read it that is...

Posted: May 11th 2011 12:07PM Old Tom said

First up .. this change is truly minor and won't change much. The ill of 0.0 are supercap blobs and drop and they won't be effected by this change in the slightest.

Much more troubling is the "spitballing" approach of CCP with these "tweaks." The game is stagnating and they're desparate to do something .. anything with the appearance of fore-thought. But the 0.0 tweaks thus far shoved down the player's throats have been to undo that which made 0.0 far more attractive to the player-base ... Tyrannis changes are being undone .. all the with promise of "developing a comprehensive plan for 0.0."

At this point, I'm done with CCP's promises of future developments and iterations. They do things half-way then promptly forget what they were doing until they are stirred into sudden and erratic action.

Posted: May 11th 2011 12:28PM (Unverified) said

This change is the exact opposite of what CCP needs to do to move towards making nullsec anything other than supercaps online. CCP Soundwave (and his team) clearly don't know their asses from a hole in the ground and I shudder to imagine what the idea originally presented to the CSM looked like.

If you'd like some excellent analysis as to why this change has the exact opposite impact they're claiming it will have, check out Mord Fiddle's awesome blog, Fiddler's Edge. Original blog from January here: http://fiddlersedge.blogspot.com/2011/01/csm-summit-coming-supercarrier-buff.html Folowup post yesterday here: http://fiddlersedge.blogspot.com/2011/05/supercapital-economy.html

The fact that they're implementing this change in the middle of the largest nullsec war in the history of the game AND they set the timeline to be shorter than what we need to transfer sov between allies to get the new bridge networks set up is really just icing on the lame cake.

CCP might have a great vision for a revised nullsec. Unfortunately, all we've gotten now have been two enormous nerfs to the average grunt while supercapitals remain completely unchecked. As part of a nullsec revision package, I can support the JB change and the anomaly change. As isolated changes without balancing improvements in sight, all I can say is that CCP doesn't seem to know (or care) how to manage this area of the game.

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM