Posted: May 10th 2011 10:02PM C Rose said

@Puremallace

Dude we get it, you're a Rift fanboy. (For this month at least)

Everyone go look up Puremallace's posts over the last 2 months and see how much Rift propaganda this kid is spreading.

I don't mind hearing others opinions but you're blind faith in this NEW game is annoying at the least when I read threads. It's to the point that I could spot your posts without seeing your name at the top. Literally. I read the post and think, "Oh man it sounds like that Pure....IT IS!!!"

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:06PM Averice said

@Puremallace

Warfronts still have some issues. Black Garden could really use the WoW WSG flag treatment instead of what it has now, since not having a healer feels like a death sentence. I never want to pick the damn thing up because half the time the healer won't heal me anyway, they'll just wait until I die, pick it up, and heal themselves.

Yeah, the Fang or w/e it's called should give +30% damage out, +75% damage in, imo.

I definitely love the prestige instead of ratings grinding though. I can have fun and gain loot in the process. Instead of grinding loot in order to have fun like in WoW's system.

That's probably WoW's biggest issue for me; each new tier of gear is to powerful than the last. I feel like Trion got that right, if according to what I'm reading on the forums is true. Where if you take off all your gear, get low level weps, and hit a training dummy, your dps from full t2 gear to wearing nothing is only a 30% difference. Gaining a new tier in WoW is like becoming super buffed over the tier before, there's just no contest between them.

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm not hating on WoW, I'm really not. I played it for 6 years and had a blast, and that's something that I can't say about any other game. But... I'm several months WoW-sober right now (ha!) and I really don't see myself going back. There's just not enough innovation on the part of the dev team, I hated the new linearity and phasing, and I finally got to the point where if I had to grind one more iLvl of gear I was going to throw my computer out the window.

These days I'm playing games with dynamic content and sandbox elements. Give me player housing, world events, appearance tabs, in-depth crafting, ways to have open-ended, non-combat oriented fun. Don't just stick players on rails... give us choices! Choices are good!

Blizzard has long been the invincible giant, but these days they're feeling more like a lumbering oaf that's falling more and more behind his faster and more agile peers. That's a shame, because Azeroth deserves far better than that.

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:20PM Eamil said

@Tempes Magus "I am right that he is very overconfident that he can predict the swing of a typically fickle group of customers. "

If it's happened ten times before, exactly the same way, why should he think number 11 would be any different? I'm just not seeing how that's "arrogance" so much as, maybe, "pattern recognition."

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:27PM Utakata said

These types types of declarations make me want to dump WoW for RIFT instead. Just saying.

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:41PM Elikal said

I played WOW only for a brief time. I didn't saw the appeal. Some stuff was cool, but WOW wasn't game I want to stay a longer time. I don't hate it, but I just fail to see the appeal, either. It's a very mediocre game and I have no clue how so many people play this year and year. So I am surely not every going back to WOW. If Rift doesn't interest me anymore one day, I either move on or stop playing MMOs.

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:53PM (Unverified) said

Blizzard might be right IF their game was not so dated.... in the past players returned to a game with a similar state of graphics, but now WoW looks like total crap in comparison to Rift, it's impossible not to notice the change... just look at the new Japan pet graphics, looks like something from an old PS1 game.

It seems delusional on Blizzards part to think Rift players would return, they might go to Star Wars MMO or Guild Wars 2, but to return to that 7 year old game that feels like 10 years is out of the question.

I returned to WoW this week using a free 7 days, I was amazed how bad it looked, how crude it felt...I could Never go back, they could offer me free gold and dancing girls, not going back to that game.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:07PM Nhoj1983 said

Gotta say that I have nothing against WoW.. other than some of the male chara designs.. Still that comment makes me NOT want to sub ever again... (but I'm not promising not to)

Honestly though I was in Rift's betas.. decided it wasn't all that... waited two months after release to avoid all the game bouncers.. bought the game since it wasn't all that bad either.. and am loving it right now.. Sure I'll probably be gone for SWTOR and GW2 but it's at least as good as WoW in many ways.. and better in some.. worse in others.. I have no real connection to WoW and that's what's going to pull people back not "how good" or "bad" the game is because it's damn good.. even if it's a lot of the same.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:10PM Sharuk said

I am also loving Rift and will not be back to WoW. However, I 100% plan to check out SWTOR and that could take me away from Rift if it is half decent.

I did leave WoW for Aion and knew within a week I would quit Aion. I did not return to WoW right after I quit Aion, I took a 6-8 month break from MMOs.

With Rift though, it does enough to keep me away from WoW.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:12PM ChaosInc said

• 1 heart
Activision's pure arrogance will be more than enough to keep me away. Just, wow. May as well just come out and say "we're the kings, the peasants will come back to throw us their money again because we are the awesome!"

Even if I do leave Rift, I know the likelihood of returning to WoW is somewhere around "no".

Posted: May 11th 2011 6:49AM Mynsc said

@ChaosInc

It's not arrogance, it's an opinion based on actual facts. If you read the statement carefully, you see how the word historically makes a critical appearence.

A lot of games came yelling they're gonna steal away WoW's fanbase and all of them failed. The best they did was survive and have a decent existence... although this was very rare.

If you know the numbers and have seen this happened non-stop in the last 3,4 years, would you not say the same ? Especially since RIFT is way less appealing than Warhammer, AoC or even Aion.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:14PM Nerokis said

It seems to me that a lot of people put far too much emphasis on the headline.

Mike made a simple statement: when a new MMO is released, it tends to be the case that some number of people leave to check it out, and in time a decent number of those people return.

He also acknowledged that "subscriber levels have decreased faster than during previous expansions," and said Blizzard would attempt to release content at a faster pace.

It's amusing to me that some took offense to Mike's comments, as if he's not supposed to be positive about his product. Though this is the comments section of an MMO news site, so ... I suppose this is the sort of thing one should expect.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:21PM Titan1 said

The question I have is "how well is Rift doing?"

There is almost no info about how well the game is doing / been received by the players. No sub numbers, no box sales number...nothing

Posted: May 11th 2011 12:04AM Utakata said

• 1 heart
@Titan1

This is the wrong thread to ask this. WoW is the one trial now, not RIFT. Though there has been discussions about RIFT's sub numbers previously on Massivley. They appear to be in better shape then you would expect. But you might want to go and look those up.

Posted: May 11th 2011 12:57AM Titan1 said

@Puremallace
With no comment from the publisher your numbers are just speculation.

I don't see the longevity of another WoW clone. This game has some novel ideas but it's the same as everything else out there. Once everyone gets tired of grind up a few class combos and the mechanics get figured out by the leet crew, it's all over.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:39PM Marinerbay said

I see this story leaves out the ugly truth as to why some people are REALLY leaving WOW: abusive GMs who think their power gives them the right to mistreat their customers. Believe me, such a thing has happened. My advice is for those people who have had enough of WOW: run as far as you can from it and never turn back.

Posted: May 11th 2011 1:13AM JudgeGabranth187 said

@Marinerbay That's exactly what I did especially after Blizzard billing me for 6 months AFTER I cancel my account. Those greedy cowardly jackals.....

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:43PM Sharuk said

People keep saying it is only 600k subscribers they lost. However, if they lost that chuck in NA/EU that is a terrible lost of revenue for them. At its peak WoW had 4.5-5 million subs in NA/EU. NA/EU represents 80% of WoW's revenue.

Now, if they lost 600k in NA/EU they lost 12% of their subs which is a significant number.

Also, they could have actually gained subs in Asia and lost 1+ million subs in NA/EU thus still making it hover around 11.4 million. There are a lot of these things we don't know to get a clear picture. Millions of subs seem like the norm in China since they get MMOs for free and pay cheap hourly rates.

I don't think WoW will hit 12 million again. Not because of Rift but because of the intense competition coming out soon. With games like SWTOR and GW2 including console games that attract MMO gamers like Skyrim and Blizzard's own D3.

Posted: May 11th 2011 12:04AM Valentina said

• 1 heart
I love rift, and I will NEVER be going back to WoW. Old stale stagnant piece of crap.

Posted: May 11th 2011 12:29AM Quarlo said

600 people saved. 11.4 million to go.

Why I Play: ArcheAge