Posted: May 10th 2011 9:29PM swangtal said

• 1 heart
@Dunraven
WoW is not bleeding customers because it is doing something wrong. It's bleeding customers because it is old. It is wayyyy old. People will have to start looking for something new eventually.

It's about time we lay WoW to rest. It has had a good run, but it is healthier for the industry for the player to move on already.

I want WoW to die...but the sad part is, it's the only game on my radar that I keep wanting to come back to after I quit.

Posted: May 10th 2011 9:57PM (Unverified) said

@Dunraven

In the words of Ley-Guardian Eregos:

Such Insolence! Such Arrogance!

;)

Posted: May 11th 2011 9:01AM real65rcncom said

@Dunraven
Why is it that people are living on the River Denial when the overall reality is, Blizzard still has over 8-10 MILLION players that seem to stay around?

Do you think Blizzard is paying them to play or something?

Ok, you don't like Blizzard and I don't like WoW. But honestly, this "Blizzard will continue to 'bleed'.." is just doesn't make any sense, lol.

They can bleed 2 million and still not care.

Posted: May 11th 2011 9:28AM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
@real65rcncom if they stop caring when they are losing Millions of dollars per Month then Activision must fire every single head of management because they have gone mad.

Nine Million per month is what WoW is losing today, not being outraged at that and claiming they will be back and we are too big to fail is stupidity of Enron purportions.

And for the record I don't hate Blizzard I hate what they have become which is deaf and arrogant.

Posted: May 11th 2011 11:07AM faralorn said

@Dunraven

Blizzard netted $170 million in profit last month. Don't make things up.

Posted: May 11th 2011 2:22PM Daverator said

@Dunraven
I think WoW's problem is simply it is too big and entrenched to really implement big changes that will "wow' its customers.

I can foresee in the not so distant future:
It is an MMO with the good parts of Themepark and Sandbox MMOs. It will have the overarching story quests, and NPC development and interest of themeparks, without the endless chain of fedex quests and so many things you click through without even reading an entire sentence of the "quest" you are on.

It will also have the large player community driven interactions of, for example, EVE, in which large swaths of the world are really under the direct control and influence of players. Combine that with the level editing style of say Mission Architect of CoX or STO, so that you have user generated content, defending your user occupied and upkept territories.

Maybe it is a pipe dream, and the balance doesn't exist, but I would like to think it is possible to combine the good parts of MMOs, while trying to minimize the less enjoyable aspects.

Posted: May 14th 2011 9:44AM DarkWalker said

@faralorn
It would have been 10 to 25 million dollars more if WoW didn't lose over half million players.
BTW, the 170 million includes all revenue from selling boxed games (including Cataclysm boxes) and digital downloads from January 1 to March 31; i.e., all Cataclysm sales from the middle of the 4th sales week onwards. You can expect the value to be lower the next quarter.

Posted: May 10th 2011 6:58PM Zuato said

Sorry Blizzard, but I am not going back to WoW. I am thoroughly enjoying Rift and am looking forward to GW2 and will probably pick up the new SW mmo when it comes out, so no, I'm not going back.

Posted: May 12th 2011 5:03AM jslim419 said

@Puremallace

rift couldn't deliver a bowl of corn flakes without fucking it up. when referring to the future you should probably leave out any current or near future failures.

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:03PM smg77 said

It may sound arrogant but he's probably right. Most of my friends jump to whatever the new game is and then a month later they're back in WoW.

Posted: May 10th 2011 8:27PM Beltyra said

@smg77
Why rate this guy down for say what his friends do? The VAST majority of players in the first 3 months of an MMO are this exact customer. Jumping to each new game to see what new and shiny things are out there.

Nothing wrong with that.

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:03PM Greyhame said

This happens with pretty much ever game. Some stay gone, some come back and some play both.

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:06PM eyeball2452 said

Rift is definitely worth trying, but the development team seems to be moving towards the lowest common denominator design like WoW, which is disappointing.

I enjoyed the game for two months, but a lot of the T1/T2 bugs were really annoying and the new patches/features don't ever seem to work correctly either. The game has a good story, but delivers it poorly so that you never feel very connected to the game world or the npcs either.

I'm not going back to WoW, but in terms of the article above, Rift wasn't a long term game for me. It was fun, but it needs a better QA process and the developers really needed to stick to their guns about offering more challenging content.

The entire MMO industry needs to help promote the creation of better players rather than nerfing content down to the level of the worst players. Nerfing content drives away the good players and leaves awful game communities.

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:08PM (Unverified) said

Sorry Bliz wow is done for me I'm sticking with Rift

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:09PM birdyhey said

• Half a heart
"a healthy proportion of them tend to return."

Did you get the feeling of "You, the healthy income" being LESS of a slave to this game, when you saw that sentence? I sure as hell didn't! Thanks Mike Morhaim, for letting me know where my rightful place IS in this world.
If god doesn't strike me dead RIGHT NOW, i can just kiss my life CIAO.
oh, right.. god IS NOT VENGEFUL"got that from simpsons", might as well fck it.

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:46PM Gene Quagmire said

@birdyhey If it were up to me, you would never die, but you try telling that to Killy McGee up there!

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:13PM Sephirah said

I cannot understand if Blizzard is arrogant or simply naive.
After peaking WoW during WotLK, they managed to lose 10% of their western customers in the first 3 months of Cataclysm.
Many didn't leave WoW for Rift because Rift is the best MMORPG, but simply because WoW isn't worth more than a couple of months of playing right now. People will probably quit Rift too, but I won't be so sure they'll go back to WoW to play recycled content..

Posted: May 10th 2011 7:16PM birdyhey said

@Sephirah Recycled content is STAMPED on every freakin Patch they feed us now. It's quite tiresom to be honest. yeap, quiiiiiiiet tiresom.

Posted: May 10th 2011 9:54PM DevilSei said

@Sephirah

It's both, trust me. Having played WoW through all of Burning Crusade, all of Lich King, and multiple stints on Vanilla, the only thing Blizzard was ever good at was blatantly ripping off other games then polishing the idea up. They are expert spit-shiners, and can get crap to look shiny.

They've repeated the same several major mistakes in every expansion, causing them to repeat the same actions to fix them, and have yet to learn from the mistakes.
They still don't understand the concept of "appearance slots", guilds still are pretty much bare bones. And they still can't even keep themselves on a consistent design style. One minute they're too softcore, next thing its too hardcore. They fail constantly to reach the middleground.

Posted: May 10th 2011 10:12PM Allegos said

@DevilSei

Don't forget the never-ending class design by trial and error! Days after WoW patch 4.1 hits whith a bunch of class changes, the PTR version of 4.2 is already testing more class changes.

I'll give Blizzard this: the engine that WoW runs on is as smooth and crash-free as anything I've ever run on my PC. I wish they'd license the doggone engine to other companies for their 3D games.

The Soapbox: In praise of SWTOR's 12X experience