Posted: May 9th 2011 2:47PM elixabethclaire said

You know you've played too much Aion when...
you take a metalworking class and almost punch someone when you're told that you need to buy flux.

Not even joking, I was in an introductory metalworking course, and I had already made the few requisite jokes about grinding my crafting skill, but when my teacher said that we needed to get some flux for a project we were working on, I was torn somewhere between laughter and tears.

Posted: May 9th 2011 3:19PM Caerus said

Isn't this fairly typical for NCSoft? Not only do I seem to recall something similar from one of their earlier games on this site not too long ago, but I always felt like, more than any other major gaming company, they were far too quick with the stick and far too stingy with the carrot. Their games have always been more about time invested than anything else, and to me this screams someone higher-up thinking "Oh no, if people can actually gear up then they aren't grinding 20 hours a day and we're dooooooooooomed nerf it now!"

Which makes me really sad, because if I could have leveled to 50 (or 55, whatever it is now) and geared my character to be competitive in a reasonable amount of time I'd be having a good time actually playing Aion instead of watching the box collect dust for the past 6 months. I know there's people out there who enjoy grinds that I would only describe as atrocious, and they should have games they can enjoy too. These bait-and-switch promotions look like the company is trying to pull in those players as well as casual gamers but doesn't know how to do it.

Posted: May 9th 2011 4:02PM Yarr said

You know you have played Aion too much when... you forget for a few moments you don't really have magical wings or fantastic jumping abilities every time you come to a flight of stairs.

I have noticed some weird drop rates in general. If I start playing and am not getting anything much to drop (like virtually nothing), I'll log out and reload the game, often to suddenly get some nice blue and green drops almost every few kills when I get back on. Strange, but it could just be their messed up RNG. When that happens I also seem to get better drops with a certain pet out. I'm not saying which one (as they'll nerf it, if true), and it is probably just the RNG again, but my testing so far has been rather consistent. But my testing has never matched up with NCWest's supposed testing, but then I use actual statistical methods, as much as one can as just a player with limited kinah.

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:36AM MJ Guthrie said

@Yarr
Because of how much the RNG gods hate me, please feel free to message me with which pet is used to increase your drops; I promise to keep it to myself! Of course, I will test the theory... simply in the interest of science!

Posted: May 9th 2011 5:21PM (Unverified) said

I'm having trouble reading past the part where you suggest that NCsoft actually has any credibility left to lose. Their credibility boat sunk a long, long time ago with a lot of gamers for a myriad of reasons -- Aion being one of them.

Posted: May 9th 2011 8:43PM adam123456 said

You're pretty late to the party. This was a hot topic 5-6 months ago. In December and January, when people began noticing that the loot rate had been lowered shortly after 2.1, there was quite an uproar. There was a thread on AionSource complete with log analysis which showed very clearly that drops had been significantly reduced in December. Most of the threads on the official forums attempting to discuss it in any way were deleted and the posters permanently banned.

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:37AM MJ Guthrie said

@adam123456
While you are correct that a difference was noticed back then, my focus was on the drop that has been noticed by those around me even in the last two months -- especially when it comes to Besh Temple. It seems to have gotten even worse recently.

Posted: May 16th 2011 4:09PM Yarr said

@MJ Guthrie

I sent you an email (I hope) via Massively with the info as I can't find any other way to do a PM or such. If you leak any of that to NCSoft then you'll have to deal with my specially trained army of, admittedly, not very deadly ninja Spriggs. :)

Posted: May 16th 2011 7:24PM MJ Guthrie said

@Yarr
Although I would LOVE to see this army of ninja Spriggs (BRING IT ON!), I have not received an email. =( You can use the link directly in my signature, or send to mj@massively.com. I look forward to knowing the secret of the universe! Or better loot -- same diff =D

Posted: May 9th 2011 10:28PM Nhoj1983 said

Personally I think that it's just RNG. I know it seems weird but I've seen people go through miragents twenty plus times.. and others get it their second try. Just like a slot machine.. there's no garantee you'll win by putting a lot into the machine.. even if the odds say it should average out.. I've not seen any real decrease but it's never been easy for me either so... I just blame the rng,

Posted: May 10th 2011 5:52AM sauceofmagic said

I still do not understand what drives those "devs". It can't be greed because they would've learnt their lesson already.

Posted: May 10th 2011 4:29PM PaterFrog said

@sauceofmagic
Well, they obviously want to encourage RMT...

WRUP: Queue zen