Posted: May 9th 2011 1:12PM vaajtswv said

I think most of the people who play Wizard101 were inspired by this clip.

I kid. I kid.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 10:50PM sikechan said

@vaajtswv
can you give me a code please?
i am a member
i want to have just one code
send me this gmail please
rajagon2@gmail.com
hope you will give me one :)

Posted: May 9th 2011 2:19PM relgoth said

Sounds like someone wants to shake the "Were just a kid's game" stereotype.

Also is this study published in a reputable journal? Id like to go over their full article, statistics and all.

Its related to what i study XD

Posted: May 9th 2011 2:56PM tmarg said

Um, it's a game designed for, and marketed towards, children. I'm not sure why they are so proud of the lack of teenage males.

And in response to relgoth, it sounds like the numbers show that they are a kid's game, with 68% of adult gamers playing it with other family members (read "their children, grandchildren, younger siblings, etc.)

Posted: May 9th 2011 2:59PM tmarg said

I'm also not sure how you can make any of the claims in their "key findings" based on this game. If you find that there is a significant amount of intergenerational play in, say, World of Warcraft, fine, that might mean something. But here, it probably just means that parents don't want their children surfing the internet unsupervised.

Posted: May 9th 2011 3:44PM Lenn said

@tmarg Any kid playing WoW will need a whole hell of a lot more supervision than if he played Wizard101. I think the reason parents play with their kids is very simple: it's really a fun game.

Posted: May 9th 2011 3:58PM tmarg said

@Lenn

Any kid playing games on the internet needs supervision, because there is no other way to ensure that he only plays the game you think he's playing while on the internet. I would assume that most responsible parents make sure that they supervise any computer use by young children, regardless of the exact nature of the intended content. It's also worth mentioning that young children playing by themselves are much less likely to fill out the survey in any satisfactory manner, which will skew the results.

As for it being a fun game, I tried it once and wasn't impressed, but then again I freely admit it wasn't intended for me.

Posted: May 9th 2011 4:31PM Lenn said

@tmarg If you've tried it, you should know I was right with my previous statement. There was no need for that diatribe. The game is monitored heavily and has many chat restrictions. None of WoW's (insert name of skill) (insert name of item) to form (highly questionable phrase laden with sexual innuendo).

Posted: May 9th 2011 4:47PM tmarg said

@Lenn

It wasn't intended as a diatribe. It isn't even a comment about the game itself. If you have young children, you should watch them while they are on the internet, no matter what they are doing. I don't care if it is Wizards101 or Hello Kitty or Barbie or whatever. It doesn't matter.

And my point with comparing it to multiple generations playing WoW was specifically that there wouldn't be very young children playing that, so you could draw more objective conclusions about gaming across generations from such a study. I'm certainly not saying that you should let your children loose in Azeroth unsupervised.

Posted: May 9th 2011 3:41PM Killerham said

Who are they calling dysfunctional !?

Posted: May 9th 2011 6:07PM (Unverified) said

As researchers and educators, we are gratified to see Relgoth's question in the comments thread. Relgoth asks "is this study published in a reputable journal? I'd like to go over their full article, statistics and all."

This is an excellent question. At this point, the answer is "no." We are currently writing up our findings, and we are submitting articles to leading peer-reviewed communication journals.

The data reported in the press release is just the tip of the iceberg. This announcement was intended as a heads up that more detailed findings would follow.For now, we can tell you that our research methods are similar to those used by other games researchers. When the work is published, we welcome thorough review of our statistical methods and theoretical framework.

As you know, the time-frame for reviewing journal articles can be very slow. Most journals provide initial decisions within four months, but the process can take longer. As soon as these articles are accepted for publication, we will be able to release the specific details about this survey.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail at: adelwich@trinity.edu.

Sincerely,
Dr. Aaron Delwiche (Associate Professor)
Dr. Jennifer Henderson (Chair and Associate Professor)
Department of Communication
Trinity University

Posted: May 9th 2011 8:50PM (Unverified) said

Lack of teenage males in an MMO IS a VERY GOOD thing.