Posted: May 9th 2011 10:00PM DarkWalker said

@Creeden
How is the minimum cost just below $10? The cheapest US one is roughly $12.99 per month (the 6-month plan at $77.94), and AFAIK the prices on every other place where WoW uses subscriptions is higher.

On the Asian side, I believe a player can be counted as a subscriber for the whole month if he buys an hour of gameplay, which I expect to cost less than a quarter.

BTW, last year Blizzard saw net revenues in the MMO segment at 1,230 millions of dollars. Around $8.51 per player, if you take a 12 millions player base as reference, and still less than $9 per player with 11.5 millions of players.

Posted: May 9th 2011 8:59PM Keen and Graev said

oh no 11.4 million instead of 12.

Posted: May 9th 2011 9:52PM DarkWalker said

@Keen and Graev
The significant bit is the decrease. Or, even more telling, the stagnation; last time WoW was below 11.5 million players (apart from when China went dark) was around WotLK's launch, which means WoW is back to the point it was almost two and half years ago.

Posted: May 10th 2011 3:35AM Utakata said

@DarkWalker

It should also be noted that this is the first time Blizz posted a loss of subcription numbers since WoW's release. To me that's more significant than how much they've lost. That is, they're still the big boys in town, but they may have enetered a new era....one that sees their wane.

Posted: May 9th 2011 9:08PM Furdinand said

It isn't much of a drop but I'm still surprised. Usually after the xpacs people come back to check it out for at least a few content patches. Personally, I got burned out and felt I was doing a lot of grind for very fleeting moments of reward.

Posted: May 9th 2011 9:25PM Lateris said

What will happen when the levy breaks?

Posted: May 9th 2011 9:26PM Zuato said

I suspect the only reason they still have 11.4 million is due to China picking up the losses from EU and NA. You have to remember that for a while China didn't have it due to some disagreement until Blizz and China worked out a new agreement with one of the providers there.

Posted: May 9th 2011 9:28PM Averice said

WoW is still just the best out there for some styles of game play.

I'm loving rift, but the 30-50 grind is mind numbing, and warfronts are basically non existant except during peak hours sub 50. Supposedly they're up all the time at 50, just my faction loses 90% of the time from what I hear... T_T

If the queues aren't popping when I hit 50, or if we really are losing 90%+ of our matches, I'll be heading back to WoW.

Posted: May 10th 2011 12:00AM (Unverified) said

Need to also remember that numbers fluctuate based on content. These numbers are from March which was in the middle of the lull of content and the numbers have likely gonna up since 4.1 came out 2 weeks ago and likely will go up even more again once 4.2 comes out next month.

Posted: May 10th 2011 1:04AM (Unverified) said

@ImperialPanda

Yeah . Most of the games reported on by Massively ARE NOT growing. At least not by "leaps and bounds" None of the "WoW-killers" released over the last three years are doing well in comparison tow WoW.
I like Rift and CO but they both have a long way to go to rival WoW in popularity.

Posted: May 10th 2011 1:17AM JoeH42 said

Anyone got a link to that article about Blizzard raising 0.8 million dollars for charity? Cause hey, that's almost what, 1/212th of their income for the year. So that'd be about the same as me donating $75...except that's 1/212th of their profit while $75 would be 1/212th of my gross income. Thanks to our current economy I'm actually more in debt than ever but that hasn't stopped me from giving a lot more than $75 a year to charity because there's a lot of people worse off than me. At least I have a job and somewhere to sleep at night.

My point is; it'll be an interesting day when a company like Blizzard actually sacrifices more than a pittance of their money in behalf of anyone other than their own shareholders.

Posted: May 10th 2011 1:47AM Vgk said

@JoeH42
your joking right? They are DONATING money to charity and you complain, they could have you know given $0 to charity and kept it all in their pockets you know like some developers do.

No one is obliged to give anything to charity they do it out of kindness, who cares if that kindness comes in the form of 1 dollar or 75 dollars, if you go around measuring how much someone gives in comparison to you, individual or company, then that is just sad
Your supposed to give out of kindness and empathy not so you can compare how much you give to how much Y gives

And come on those 800,000 will do a lot of good

Posted: May 10th 2011 1:47AM mysecretid said

Am I the only one who's always had trouble believing that World of Warcraft has 12 million active subscribers?

I'm not criticising the game, or Blizzard -- I'm just saying that, to me, the number seems so large as to be overkill.

Are we sure they're not counting everyone who's ever played WoW (past or present) and calling that their "subscriber base"?

That would make the number plausible for me.

Just asking ...

Posted: May 10th 2011 1:54AM Mynsc said

@mysecretid

World of Warcraft’s Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

it's pretty clear from this I believe that they're not cheating in any way.

Posted: May 10th 2011 1:52AM Mynsc said

I actually thought the drop was going to be bigger.

Cataclysm is by far the least tempting expansion for existing players, since there really were no new meaningful mechanics introduced and little endgame content. It focused on a much needed stat reorganizing and early game repolishing. That's nice for the future, but not so nice for the succes of the current expansion.

I like that they're changing their patch policy and I think it's probably going to bring some players back. Combine that with the Cataclysm China launch and I can see them reaching 12 mils again, atleast until TOR launches.

What will happen after that is anybody's guess, but WoW will easily hold 10 mils + subs in the coming years... the game is just too good compared to the other offers of its type.

Posted: May 10th 2011 5:28AM dudes said

Ooh blimey, less gold sellers are subbing. Yay.

Posted: May 10th 2011 6:20AM Dumac said

Didn't think they would announce a drop in subscriptions. Not until they absolutely had to (like if it dropped by a few million to be noticeable on the servers), after how they kept quiet during the time China servers were offline and then announced 12 mil. just after they went back online. I guess props to (Activision-)Blizzard.

Posted: May 10th 2011 8:22AM (Unverified) said

subs going to keep dropping. WoW have burned too many at this point. More and more 5 year players (like me) are going to be walking away shaking their heads.

Posted: May 10th 2011 11:52AM jslim419 said

@(Unverified)

lol... you think your important. how cute.

Posted: May 10th 2011 12:25PM (Unverified) said

@jslim419

lol ... another fanboi ... how cute.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014