Posted: May 8th 2011 12:23PM Dunraven said

People who have seen advanced screenings have said that the movie is surprisingly good, ( as in wait wait this doesn't suck it's suppose to suck!) and probably the first Movie of Howard works that is anywhere close to his writings.

That said, Funcom to capitalize on anything needs to work on it's community especially it's American community.... they can't have their game held hostage by a handful of disgruntled vocal under raid and PVP guilds, they also need to go back and make the low to mid-level raid dungeons more accessible to small groups and maybe even offer solo versions.....and keep adding in the voice over work as that is without a doubt much more immersive.

So yeah Funcom can use the movie to it's advantage, but they are going to have to do a lot of hard work making the product better and not just ride a hype train.

Posted: May 8th 2011 1:08PM Lenn said

"My only real regret about the Conan movie (thus far) is that Knut Avenstroup Haugen's music won't be heard in the final cut."

I've played the game sporadically over the past two years (a few weeks here and there), but I cannot get that music out of my head. It's really stunning.
I was digging the trailer until snippets of heavy metal started to play. I actually winced for a second.

Hopefully for AoC's community the movie will see an influx of fresh meat to ki... play with.

Posted: May 8th 2011 1:29PM Pingles said

Jef wrote: "Howard's works may never be confused with great literature"

It is easy to let Robert E. Howard's subject matter disguise the incredible quality of his writing.

You're right that his writing will always be a class below "great literature" because he focused on pulp fiction but I believe his abilities are better than many other celebrated writers who chose more challenging subjects.

Posted: May 8th 2011 3:20PM Vagrant Zero said

@Pingles Agreed. Jef seemed to wax poetic about Game of Thrones but Martin is no Howard, not by any stretch of the imagination. We'll still be reading Howard 80 years from now, Martin...not so much.

Posted: May 8th 2011 4:07PM Dril said

@Pingles

Howard is still one the authors I've read the most of, simply by virtue of the fact that I've got a massive (and I mean massive) tome of all his Conan works that I've read through three times now.

The man may not be a "great" in the classic sense, but damn the man could write.

Posted: May 8th 2011 4:45PM Jef Reahard said

@Vagrant Zero

I was talking about the filmed version of Game of Thrones there (in comparison to this new Conan flick).

I've enjoyed several of the Howard stories, and I wish he'd lived longer and written more. It's hard to say what kind of writer he'd have morphed into but he clearly had talent. That said, to me it's a stretch to compare his abilities to Martin's, especially in terms of characterization. Martin's been practicing the craft for longer than Howard lived, though, and I don't think you can really compare the two styles (or the bodies of work).

Posted: May 8th 2011 11:00PM Vagrant Zero said

@Jef Reahard That would explain it. I do concede that the filmed GoT is far better than anything Conan that's been put to celluloid.

Posted: May 9th 2011 1:28PM (Unverified) said

@Pingles If being included in Penguin Classics and the Library of America isn't enough, then I don't know what else would.

Posted: May 9th 2011 1:31PM (Unverified) said

@Jef Reahard I guess it's obvious that I wouldn't agree regarding Martin & Howard's merits, though I'd say longevity of writing career has nothing to do the quality of a piece of work. I've found many of Martin's earlier works far superior to his latest work, for instance.

Posted: May 8th 2011 1:33PM wondersmith said

If AoC is *ever* going to reboot itself as F2P in the West, the best possible time would be when the Conan film franchise reboots as well. Thus my prediction is that AoC goes F2P on August 19, 2011. If not, Funcom will have dropped the ball big time (again).

Posted: May 8th 2011 6:49PM SalmonofAges said

@wondersmith

Not sure about 'Free to Play', but something is going to happen around the time of the movie you would think, especially as two new zones have shown up on the locations list in player search - Ardashir and Turan. More likely they'll drop an Xpac, but could make Vanilla AoC F2P, with Khitai and future exapnsions requiring the sub.

As regards those two locations that have appeared, Turan looks interesting - a large desert area with heaps of cities up and down the coast of the Vilayet Sea. Zamora to the West, Iranistan and Drujistan to the South. Perhaps the storyline quest will allow you to travel / quest through Vendhya & Kosala on the way back to the West, or explore the islands of the inland sea. Whatever they put in, sure sounds interesting. Not sure where or what Ardashir is. Someone mentioned it was a person though. Here's the link to the forum post on these new things: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=233192

Posted: May 8th 2011 1:54PM Draq said

• 1 heart
Lol

Posted: May 8th 2011 1:57PM Lateris said

I saw the trailer yesterday when we went to see Thor. The first thing that caught my eye was how visually the artwork resembled the game. It looked great. I always liked Jason in Star Gate Atlantis, so I am cheering for him.

Posted: May 8th 2011 2:02PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
No movie will change how ppl view AOC. The game probably got 1 expansion in it. As a sub based game it has no chance.

LOTRO failed miserably taking the best things out of the fantastic movie series. You feel so much let down playing the game. AOC is gonna be exactly the same.

Posted: May 8th 2011 2:20PM Lenn said

@Deadalon LotRO failed? When did you last play? I'd wager never. If you had, you'd have known the game's not based on the movies.

Posted: May 8th 2011 2:21PM thedude657 said

@Deadalon

Up until recently LOTRO couldnt use the best things from the movies due to licensing but they have full access now :)

Posted: May 8th 2011 3:15PM Lateris said

@Deadalon Oh dear dear Deadalon. How man years do you have in yourself of holding onto this lack of forgiveness for fellow human beings. But, by chance do you have a blog?>/

Posted: May 8th 2011 3:23PM Vagrant Zero said

@Deadalon Why are you still here? Every single time you post you get downvoted into oblivion (no it's not because you're an ill-cultured idiot, we're all just out to get you...that's it precisely). You'd think one would take the hint...

Posted: May 8th 2011 3:35PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
@thedude657

I guess reins were part of the licencing problem...

@Lenn
And yes... LOTRO failed horribly. Its a free to play title... that couldn't maintain a decent sub playerbase.

Posted: May 8th 2011 4:12PM Dril said

• 1 heart
@Vagrant Zero

Oh, please. People downvote on this site depending on whether or not the tide happens to be in a particular phase today. Half of the upvoted comments are "loljk" points and the other half are for repeating the status quo but in an eye-catching way.

Am I complaining? Not really. I like it when my comment gets a nice little blue highlight. I shrug when it gets a fade away, rationalising it because everyone but me is a total moron (/sarcasm off) but to just say "you get downvoted all the time, fuck off" is pretty stupid. Should we restrict commenting only to people who have at least 45% of their posts highlighted in blue?