Posted: May 9th 2011 5:18PM Booyakasha said

lvl 45 summy from nezeb here ...
just pointing out that you can farm full +4 runes in 3 days after you hit lvl 42.
thats all you need for pve in this game .

all it takes is some cans of redbull and some time to farm the gold

i paid for my runes on my main with cash and it wasnt cheap either lol ...
but its rly not hard to get em for ingame gold.
you can get almost everything in the cash shop by paying for it with ingame gold .

I hate rumors like that 1st one claiming u need to spend a ton of money on this game to be competitive.

Posted: May 9th 2011 5:52PM Booyakasha said

i mean 15k ? srsly ? lol who believes that xD

Posted: May 10th 2011 6:09PM wjowski said

It's a money trap. Guild Wars never had to resort to the outright extortion Allods did to turn a profit. It has no excuse.

Posted: May 11th 2011 6:00AM Booyakasha said

A money trap eh ? Then why did half the game never pay a cent ?

Posted: May 11th 2011 1:49PM Autreki said

Hacing played Star Wars Galaxies for about 7 years and still playing it to this day (sans the last 2 weeks...:( ) i cna certainly see the concept the OP mentioned here.

That being said, I have been playing Allods for almost 2 weeks. and my impressions are as follows:

I first downloaded the game out of utter boredom, with SOE being down my passtime game SWG has been unavailable. so i figured id give this a shot.

The game itself looks AWESOME, even at the highest settings i can run this game flawlessly for the most part. Which is kind of dissapointing knowing that on SWG full graphics mode sent my video card fan into overdrive :|

The gameplay is a much different than I am used to, i never got into wow and the control scheme was just awful for me. this games controls are similar to wows and well... im getting used to it.

The grind is horrible! as horrible as well... world of crapcraft :P go here, talk to this guy go kill 10 of these, collect 5 of these and come back... go talk to such and such and then kill 10 of these, collect 5 of these and come back... it gets numbing to the point where i find myself looking on the web for a guide or something like a roadmap to level. All in all the grind is boring!

The concept of the item shop... i have not seen anythign that i can say is overpowering for a class. somethings like mounts and larger bag size are kind of lame but nothing 20 bucks can't sort out. ive got my bag expansion thiny and a mount ready lol. all in all these items are not necessary and from what i am seeing the concept of the item shop isnt anything that makes or breaks the game.

All in all Im starting to get addicted to this game, I joined some noobish guild and im about to have to do my first dungeon... yeah im not even level 10 LOL but i just cant fuind myself dedicating the same amount of time as i did on SWG on this game, the grind is well... just too much for me, but for the time being and until SOe gets their act together ill be dividing my time between these two games.

Posted: May 12th 2011 1:23AM chem0 said

My character has full level 4 runes, two mounts(horse and a wolf), a 48-slot backpack, 3,000 in-game gold (currently), and a quest log extended to 35. She's got fiery wings, every costume worth owning, an array of hats, and I'm Senior Officer in my large guild. I've spent $0.00 on this game. I actually feel bad about how I've given nothing to the devs that made a truly fantastic game.

With the new addition of earning gPotatoes through doing surveys (no, I do not spend all my spare time doing surveys, maybe an hour here and there) there's literally nothing standing in the way of you and a *completely* free-to-play experience of Allods Online. Hell, my toon isn't even end-game yet, only level 33.

I leveled 1-21 here and there throughout december, then I stopped playing for 2+ months because Dead Space 2 came out, and then I picked up the game again last month and I'm at 33, enjoying my time in game. I could probably be end-game, but I enjoy far too many distractions to "focus on leveling."

All the QQ over the cash shop is overblown. You can buy Crystal Chips (the needed cash shop component for rune welding) off other players for in-game gold if you really hate surveys. You can buy anything cash-shop related in-game provided you have the gold. There are always players willing to part with their gPotatoes for the right price.

One of the nicest things about Allods' cash shop is that the items purchased there are *generally* not bound to you (there are a few exceptions to this) and can therefore be traded through the in-game economy. Other games aren't nearly so gracious with their cash shop.

Honestly my only complaint with the game is that the exchange rate for real world money to gPotatoes (or, if you rather, the price of items on the shop) is a little steep for my blood, and therefore discourages me, personally, from spending my money on the game. I want to feel like I got more for my $10. So instead I farm gold and surveys to get the stuff I want.

Any and all cash shop gripes are, in my opinion, either overly exaggerated or unfounded. The cash shop is like ordering a burger with no onions and then finding onions on it when you get it. Unless you really, really hate onions it's a minor annoyance that you can deal with in other ways.

One other thing...

The Arisen. They're mummies. FREAKIN' MUMMIES! The parts of their body that have rotted off before their awakening have been replaced with mechanical limbs. The face plates cover overly rotted parts of their face. Frickin' Cyborg Mummies in my MMOs! I was sold from day one.

Anyone who says they're aliens, zombies, or generic undead didn't read the quest text. The whole egyptian thing is in keeping with the mummy motif. There are nuances that separate the zombie from the mummy, and knowing them could one day save your life.

Posted: May 12th 2011 8:17AM Sladden said

@chem0

After reading yout post, you changed my mind about Allods. Maybe I should play for real and see what is hiding inside there....thanks I guess!

Posted: May 12th 2011 1:34PM BoundingDeer said

Hey Beau, I'm not quite sure how to tell you this except through comments, But have you ever heard of the game Ashen Empires?

It's probably one of my favorite MMO's of all time. No matter where I go, even WoW, I always come back to AE.

It's got all sorts of things in it, a deep crafting system, farming, housing, boats, free roam travel, raids, pvp. I really want to attract more attention to is because it has such great potential. I've been playing it on and off for almost 4 years.

Last year it went free to play... So yea. It would be cool if you'd consider doing an article on it, I really want to see this game get some love, and I always enjoy your stuff on here.

-Colton

Posted: May 12th 2011 1:48PM BoundingDeer said

@BoundingDeer

http://www.youtube.com/user/DransikAdvertising has a nice collection of Ashen Empires videos for those of you who are curious.

Posted: May 12th 2011 1:49PM Beau Hindman said

@BoundingDeer Yeh I have been looking at it for a while now, but haven't "officially." good idea, actually, I think I'll check it out soon. Thanks!

By the way: my email it always in my signature up top, the last part of the column each week.

Beau

Posted: May 12th 2011 2:00PM BoundingDeer said

@Beau Hindman

Woops haha

That's super cool! I don't have a PC right now so I can't play, but if you find you like it perhaps I will see you in game as there are only 2 servers. I'm starting new characters with my DnD group fairly soon.

-Colton

Posted: May 14th 2011 5:11PM lowrads said

The gathering and crafting professions are for masochists only. The same is true for the market since there is little transparency, high listing fees, short visibility periods, nor much sense of what things are worth to others.

You can do zilch on your own, and precious little with help, except lose silver and time.

If crafting is an important part of a game to you, skip this one.