Posted: May 8th 2011 6:47PM (Unverified) said

Eve makes me sad, I want to play it soooo bad, but the training system ruins it for me. I wish they would reward skill points for work completed, missions that sort of thing. I pick it up every couple monthes, get into it, and come to a slamming stop. You have a great community, and thee parts of the game I have seen are very cool.

Posted: May 8th 2011 7:44PM macscarfe said

@(Unverified)

I'm fairly convinced that Mythbusters could do an entire episode on EVE and skill points and i highly doubt that they would be able to confirm a single myth.

So many half-truths, misunderstandings and misinformation keep so many people out of the game i'm not sure if i should be happy or sad.

Posted: May 8th 2011 7:23PM (Unverified) said

Ive been coming and going with EvE since 2004, CCP gave me a 4hr pass to buy a plex and figured why not!

This whole Incursion thing has some decent potential, but I was sad to see Massively Mob poof'd :(

Posted: May 8th 2011 8:04PM augustgrace said

I tried the game several times and didn't care for it. Then a few months ago I tried it again and fell in love with it. However after a couple months it felt like I was just sort of blindly flying around and not accomplishing anything measurable. Still the next time they send me an invite back I think I'll take advantage of it.

Posted: May 8th 2011 8:09PM Halldorr said

I just wish I could find a corporation that was hands on with noobs.

Posted: May 8th 2011 11:14PM Krelian said

@Halldorr

TEST Alliance Please Ignore welcomes noobs :)

In fact, here's a cool video called "TEST: Newbies Welcome"

If you're a Reddit user, make sure you follow the instructions on http://wiki.pleaseignore.com/wiki/Main_Page if you want to join Dreddit itself (the main TEST Corp, and Reddit's Corp). If you don't have a Reddit account, then you can apply for one of the other Corporations.

It is nullsec, yes... but believe me, it's not as dangerous as people say it is. In fact it's sometimes less dangerous than highsec. In null, people are either blue (and if they kill you they're in trouble) or they are neutral/red (enemies). And if you live in our region, then it's blues everywhere, except the occasional neutral/red but then we make fleets and go pop them :) All in good fun.

Hope you give us a try ! :D

Posted: May 9th 2011 11:29AM Halldorr said

@Krelian

Thanks for the info! Love some of the TEST alliance videos I've seen out there! I have a reddit account but it probably has zero post history on it. Pretty sure I signed up there after Digg went belly up :-P

Posted: May 8th 2011 8:42PM (Unverified) said

So much of the wonderment of the game is allowing it to be so risky.

I undertsand brendan it is a pain to have to screen every members api, and to keep everything so restricted.

It is such a pain for everything to be so micromanaged when talking about corps, and I agree completely that there needs to be many more corporate and alliance tools.

There needs to be a balance though so much of the intrigue of the game is based on people stealing billions of isk, and if everything is so tightly locked down you remove that part of EVE and whether good or bad that may be, it will make director roles less important, it will make the game to safe for alot of people.

As it is for this to be done effectively you just need a few really trusted individuals who can delegate corporate assets.

Posted: May 8th 2011 11:14PM GaaaaaH said

If you are going to try eve, MAKE SURE YOU FIND A CORP!

This is the most important part of the game - it will give you a reason to stay through the hard parts and will help you learn the game.

Posted: May 9th 2011 12:10AM DarkWalker said

@GaaaaaH

This is part of the reason I never made past the trial in EVE.

I don't go looking for guild / corps / whatever any specific game calls them; I'm too shy for it, and I don't like asking for things from other players, including guild invites. I might get into a guild or corp, but only if invited first, and only after getting to know fairly well a few guild members; if I do get into a guild, though, I treat it as a serious commitment.

I also really dislike when the game feels like it requires grouping or being in guilds to accomplish anything. If it looks to me like it's either rushing to get into a guild or not progressing in the game, I leave the game.

The main reason I left EVE, though, was the fact players actually lose their ships when they are beaten. I can't really stand this amount of loss in a game (even single player games, which is why I tend to make very heavy use of savegames).

Posted: May 8th 2011 11:15PM Krelian said

EXCELLENT post Brendan. I agree with so much of what you said. As an ex-CEO myself, i would've been very happy having some of those.

Posted: May 8th 2011 11:22PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
Incredible to read that "some" folks think that the current spin word "power player" and content made for them is the reason this title can barely scrape 70k people a month at patch day or any special event. Many months it is much much less, in the 24k range.

No, the reason EVE sucks ................so badly for player retention or even interest for new folks is the meddling by developers to force the sandbox in the direction they want, the griefing by people just because they can, not because they are "protecting" something, the real life fraud allowed by CCP (they call it a game mechanic, chuckle) and the lack of consequence (lets see what idiot tries to state concorde is a consequence), CCP assuming players will police themselves, they were mistaken, and they pay for it with a niche game.

The humor in this title? Those "hardcore powerplayers" stating EVE has things like concorde to provide consequence and the small minority of actual players trying to help newcomers, neither is of any real use, they try, but have no effect, the sub base shows this. "Power players" like things as they are (or were, big laugh), CCP in all their wisdom is finally tired of not having paying subs. But its way too late in my opinion.

This title went south at year two with the first big changes due to that voicefull minority, of which a dev was part of. The lack of new folks and/or keeping them are the players and the devs together.

EVE isnt hardcore, Its the space around Miranda, the core players are Reavers, CCP is the council, trying to hide things, its simply a mess, and this is never good for business.

EVE does look nice though. (sarcastic thumbs up)

Posted: May 9th 2011 12:37AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Graill440

Eva Jobse is that you?

Posted: May 9th 2011 12:55AM DrewIW said

@Graill440

Over a thousand posts about a game you don't play. Someone must have griefed you good to make you so mad.

Posted: May 9th 2011 3:58AM axler said

@Graill440
ahahahah, ahahahah, ahhhh....

You do realise different people find different things fun? god you so fail to grasp the point of eve. It is supposed to be like that. That's not a bad thing, see we like it like that. They wanted a niche game.
But all the fucking time people come to the game, see its not how they want it to be, and instead of respecting that other players might have different ideas of fun and letting them enjoy their game they start spewing crap how the game sucks because it should be how they want it and they are absolutely right.

They aren't paying for it with a niche game. They wanted to make a niche game.

Posted: May 9th 2011 10:55AM Xilmar said

@Graill440

hope you collected your tears...rage tears best tears

Posted: May 9th 2011 12:22PM GaaaaaH said

@Graill440

Nice wrong numbers you have there. You're using concurrent (logged in at once) numbers as the monthly totals.

Posted: May 9th 2011 12:54PM ScottishViking said

@SgtBaker1234556

LOL for the win

Posted: May 9th 2011 4:01AM kgptzac said

As a sandbox game the corporation management toolset is severely lacking indeed. Also a note that since highsec pve/industry corps need to deal with random/grief wardecs, it's especially hard for newer players to organize this kind of corps and maintain them.

Posted: May 9th 2011 12:57AM Halldorr said

Ha! I was just sending around a couple of TEST Alliance videos last week to people. There was a couple they put out I thought were fantastic.