Posted: May 7th 2011 7:07PM Victor Stillwater said

I apologize, but I've not played FFXI, so I'm not sure if this is in reference to XI or XIV.

What does this entry refer to?

Posted: May 7th 2011 7:51PM FouLu said

@Victor Stillwater XI

Posted: May 7th 2011 8:10PM Khalus said

Yuhtunga Jungle in FFXI ~ just outside the MIthran port village of Kazham. The story is in reference to this location being the premier gathering point for leveling from 24-25 up to 29 back in the early years; then you'd move onto Yhoater Jungle, which is to the E.

Unfortunately with all the changes to XI in the past 2yrs, this place along with quite a few others have become quite deserted. However if you're persistent its not hard to find players willing to PT in locations of elder days for the memory.

Posted: May 7th 2011 8:24PM (Unverified) said

Not that I can appreciate the context of the story, as I've never played, but I like that you can come out with one of two different points to this story. You could see this as a throwback to the good ol' days or view it as how those clinging to the game of yesteryear are bumbling around despite how the game has changed to be what it is today. That's how I took it at least.

Also grammar error here: "...Kerensky simply walked up and placed on hand on her shoulder."

Posted: May 7th 2011 10:15PM (Unverified) said

I feel exactly like Kerensky when I log in to XI lately. I'm not one for levelling in Abyssea til I'm 75+. (Not saying it's bad or wrong, just not for me.) And the only places it seems that there are parties levelling is Valkurm (Blech) and Qufim. That leaves those of us who love they old levelling process kinda out in the cold. There is always soloing and FoV I guess, but I play MMO's to play with other people, not alone.

Also, I'm assuming Ninette is either Monk or Puppetmaster. But seeing as she has a friend, that rules out Puppetmaster. EYO!

TL;DR: Miss the old days some and lolPUP

Posted: May 9th 2011 2:04AM wcdregon said

i played FFXI for four years and I can say I had left before places like Yuhtunga became deserted. I have many fond memories of FFXI, even amongst newer and more popular games I still yearn for the rewarding feeling of accomplishing anything in FFXI. It's a difficult game by today's standards even with the changes they've made and some of those insane challenges like scoring an optical hat in 2005 really stick with you. In all the games ive played since FF i've never faced a more rewarding and at the same time more punishing game than FF.

I was really hoping to recapture some of that with FFXIV, but it was greatly disappointing.

Eliot, great job on this article, I connected with it on a more emotional level than a typical article. Its a shame your left covering these two games that aren't worth covering anymore. Final Fantasy was great in its time, but the time has passed.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014