Posted: May 7th 2011 12:58PM pcgneurotic said

It would be really cool if they could make it so other people playing the game showed up on screen. Then you could 'shoot' or 'trade' with each other, or do some other interactive funky chicken.

Posted: May 7th 2011 2:17PM tmarg said

@pcgneurotic

Yeah, I think the problem is that there aren't a lot of people playing it, and the real world is a fairly large area to have them spread out in, so the odds of randomly meeting someone are very small. Even if you go to high traffic areas, you don't really see anyone.

Bigger problem is that there really isn't any gameplay, just random rewards to click on and collect whenever you log in.

Posted: May 7th 2011 8:50PM blue ocarina said

@tmarg
I've been playing on the web for a few months now. While it is true that if you plop down in your small hometown you likely wont see anyone playing nearby, if you never interact with another player it is because you have made an effort to do so.
There are plenty of opportunities to visit, invite, socialize and see other players who live nowhere near you. Your physical location might influence the area in which you'd like to play, but you aren't anchored there at all.
While the combat and planting might not resemble very meaty gameplay, even in the short time I've been playing it has become more deep and interesting.
It's not for everyone, but I've found it to be much more entertaining and social than the various We Rule's and Farmville's that are doing so well in the mobile/browser space.

Posted: May 8th 2011 9:10AM tmarg said

@blue ocarina

I figured that my location would probably not have a lot of traffic, which I why I checked how frequently I would find other people in New York. I also never saw anyone else there.

I stand by my no real gameplay comment.

Posted: May 7th 2011 1:18PM samars said

There is no need to travel in the real world to go places in Fleck - any player can teleport straight to any location in the supported region, any time they want. For me that's the most important part of the game, being able to play with other people no matter where I am in the real world. It's handy for grouping up on zombie battles, or helping each other out with scavenger hunts! Or check out the Fleck version of the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge.

And pcgneurotic - other people do show up! Everybody plays in the same synchronous world. If you see someone chatting, you can easily visit them and interact.

Posted: May 7th 2011 1:41PM Loopy said

Really cool idea. I hope it catches on.

Posted: May 7th 2011 3:19PM (Unverified) said

@Loopy

Ya this is an awesome idea. Imagine a higher end game using this tech for a real intense zombie survival game, or games like World of Tanks/COD letting you have multiplayer matches in your city. A lot of possibilities if developed further.

Posted: May 7th 2011 2:44PM icbleu said

This game sounds a lot like Parallel Kingdom, a map-based MMO by PerBlue that's been out on Mobile Apps and via the web for quite some time. And yes, you can hang out, trade with, and even fight fellow players. Quite an adventure despite the primitive graphics.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge