Posted: May 6th 2011 8:04PM Nenene said

@Dunraven
*ahem*
'Analysts post this now? In Bioware's moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.'

'Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.'

Posted: May 6th 2011 8:27PM stamps79 said

Mass Effect MMO, if Bioware does a great job with executing Star War " The Old Republic" then I will say I'm excited to hear that kind of news. For now, I will wait till their first MMO releases. =)

Posted: May 6th 2011 8:50PM (Unverified) said

Don't be like Cryptic. Finish the one MMO first and make sure it's great before working on another one.

Posted: May 7th 2011 12:23AM Dunraven said

@(Unverified) Here I broke open my Piggy bank; fly to Texas now and make them chant this at least ten times a day.

Posted: May 6th 2011 9:21PM Mystal said

A smurfs MMO could surpass SW:TOR, if it was really well made, and SW:TOR isn't amazing.

I wish I had a job where I could make vague, totally unprovable projections about the future, have no one hold me accountable for my predictions, and get paid like I'm actually creating or producing something.

Posted: May 6th 2011 10:56PM MMOaddict said

I think the analyst is confusing Star Trek games with Star Wars games. Now THAT IP has a bad history with video games, bar none.

Posted: May 6th 2011 11:01PM Greyhame said

I'd take a Mass Effect MMO over SWTOR. Mainly because of the universe it's set in. *shrug*

Posted: May 6th 2011 11:06PM (Unverified) said

LOL they are predicting this based on pasted star wars Games. The problem being is they are basing it on mostly BAD games. When there is a good game it sells very well.

Posted: May 6th 2011 11:22PM Heraclea said

Mass Effect is great because, when you aren't out there fighting, you are making decisions that often have deep repercussions you don't find out about until the sequel. Your decisions can change the face of your allies and the social institutions of the galaxy. It's about a single hero who is always the star of the show, essentially soloing the greatest threat galactic life has known.

If they can bring that to an MMO, they must be much cleverer than I am.

Posted: May 7th 2011 1:26AM FrostPaw said

I like the star wars universe more than the mass effect universe, analyze that.

Posted: May 7th 2011 3:03AM Integral said

I think this could work. But not anytime soon please. Too many other MMOs to play :)

Posted: May 7th 2011 6:52AM Viiral said

Ehh.. I would not play a Mass Effect MMO. I'm not that fond of shooters (even tho I like Mass Effect, I don't need yet another online shooter)

Posted: May 7th 2011 9:56AM Bramen said

Mass Effect is a great game. I'm a bit shaky if I want it in MMO form. Thousands of 12 year old's running around with the name Sp3ct0r Gadg37 would anger me.

However, I could see how it would be profitable.

Posted: May 7th 2011 11:28AM BlackFx said

If SWTOR does bad, it is because Lucas is a jackass.

Posted: May 7th 2011 1:54PM Apakal said

@BlackFx

Or because Bioware has completely dropped the ball and failed to bring anything fresh or unique to the table.

Just sayin'...

Posted: May 7th 2011 2:10PM Zuato said

I'd love to see this come to fruition. We need more good Sci-fi based MMOs.

Posted: May 7th 2011 2:22PM BlackFx said

Yeah.. ok, if Bioware dropped the ball then we wouldn't have ME1,2,or 3.. No I'd say that anyone dropping the ball would certainly be EA or Lucasarts.. just saying.

Posted: May 7th 2011 2:25PM BlackFx said

Actually.. I meant Lucas, not LucasArts.. because like Bioware, LucasArts makes great games.

Posted: May 8th 2011 6:21AM Royalkin said

From a purely fiscal standpoint, the analyst is correct, simply because for every dollar that BioWare could make through subscriptions, box sales, microtransactions, and etc. with the Old Republic, both Electronic Arts and Lucas Arts will take a hefty chunk of that dollar.

Whereas with a Mass Effect MMO, they wouldn't have that overhead, and could thus "hypothetically" earn more. Even if a Mass Effect MMO had the same number of subscribers as the Old Republic might have, Mass Effect would earn more because of these facts.

However with all that said, there is no guarantee that a Mass Effect MMO would be successful, and increasingly so given the current crap that is floating around this generation. Moreover, Mass Effect is successful because its taylored towards people who like they typical single-player experience, and I don't think that merges well with the MMO genre. They would have to totally revamp it to make it work in an MMO, otherwise it would be the same thing that people criticize the Old Republic for - a massively online single player game.

Posted: May 8th 2011 6:26AM Royalkin said

Although, I would very much like to see more MMOs with a Science Fiction setting (Firefly, anyone?). I think that Fantasy has been done to death and back again.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014