Posted: May 5th 2011 5:30PM Daeths said

Is it not possible to Con/Str tank? I tank with eye of the storm/laser knight and def combo with challenging strikes and the invul/dampening. With bionic and the heal and shield active def i can usually survive pretty well. Is Pre necessary and what skills will i need to get agro for the end game (in lvl 34)

Posted: May 5th 2011 7:04PM Patrick Mackey said

@Daeths Yes and no.

You can't AoE tank with melee powers. You MUST have a big AoE or you can't realistically apply CS to enough targets. Also, Eye of the Storm force-roots you, so if you're running into a spawn and firing off EotS you will not generate threat on more than a few enemies. That's not a tank. If you can't reasonably taunt 10-15 enemies you are not going to AoE tank; that's just a fact.

Your survivability sounds fine. You really should fit in a good ranged AoE taunt, like ego sprites, SMG burst, shadow embrace, etc. etc. You need to be mobile while you're taunting and you need to distribute CS to as many threats as possible.

Do SL in a bigger team with someone who has medical nanites; that person will wipe every fight. You're not an AoE tank if you can't prevent that.

PRE is a bigger problem against bosses. Low PRE makes taunting bosses impossible. As I said above, super-high DPS characters can easily pull off of you if your PRE is low. Spread your stats if you're CON/STR; if you're a tank you need PRE, minimum 100. Period.

Posted: May 5th 2011 7:21PM BrouCO said

@Daeths Absolutely.

I am CON+STR. I also have added REC and END as supplementary stats.

With challenging strikes attached and defiance I am able to charge havoc stomp half-way continuously or even tap it to generate a persistent aggro radius in Protector role. I have no bonus PRE.

Posted: May 5th 2011 7:52PM Daeths said

@Patrick Mackey Ya, I see what your saying, ill get SMG with CS to help mass agro. But as for needing pre to taunt a boss, def combo with CS keeps them held (in my experience) because of the forced targeting. I can usually keep two big baddies held this way with out much issue.

Posted: May 6th 2011 2:27AM Patrick Mackey said

@Daeths Play with a good brawler and you'll find you need PRE. Even with super PRE (around 200, my stats are spread), I have problems with ego bladers and purpose-built brawlers. Defensive Combo R2 + CC does generate a lot of threat, but it's what I use too, along with Challenging Strikes and ebon sigils, and I promise you, good DPS can pull off of you if you don't have a lot of PRE. Good DPS pulls off of me unless I'm hammering defensive combo, and I have 200 pre and pets that add more threat on top of my own.

The better teammates you have, the better tank you have to be.

Posted: May 5th 2011 5:58PM Tweakalvos said

I have to say I just resubbed champs. And well worth the time to keep playing. Have had the game since 2009 and have not really finished my main. Due to other things but might be my first MMO where I max out a character!!!

Posted: May 5th 2011 6:41PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
There is no team in "Me". (Grin)

The article while a good read and entertaining is innacurate in this one part, the "holy trinity" is alive and well in ALL current titles out today bar none. There is not a single mmo that can say they have abolished the healer/dps/tank roles, why, because crusty developers still make the games this way, including those titles just released and those titles about to be released.

Some new titles are a heal fest while others are tank heavy and still others use the mentioned healer dps combo, like that makes any sense, of course it does to the devs that made it and you will buy the games and adapt to the devs current fetish combos.

Not one dev has obviously read a good fantasy novel, and there are tons, that have no holy trinity, they were taught this way and they make them this way, simple fact. They do not know how to make them any other way. As long as devs remain uneducated, and limited in experience they will continue to use the recipe that we all are tied to use.

Posted: May 5th 2011 9:33PM Stormwalker said

My main is Supernatural Bestial, which makes me a hybrid. It works quite well. Regeneration + Resurgance means healers don't need to pay me any attention as long as I don't get in over my head, and I dish out good melee damage.

Posted: May 6th 2011 12:10AM Raevhen said

I really don't know why you constantly rag on the Specialist. I have a 31st level one and she kicks ass. I have leveled her up almost entirely solo and have no problems. Granted, it was tough prior to 17th level, but at that point, she is now unstoppable, save the time I tried to solo Telios Tower and got owned. Perhaps other people who you have encountered playing the build have not played it right. The key powers of the build are Eye of the Storm and Bullet Beatdown. When you start a fight with a group of opponents, use Eye to mow them down while you take no damage thanks to the power's damage absorption, then once there is only one opponent left, switch to BB and take them down.

Just the other night I wandered into the Open Mission "Burden of Beastmen" after a couple other people had already started it and managed to get the high score at the end.

I will concede that they probably suck in PVP, but since I do not like to PVP, I do not feel like I am missing anything.

If you would like advice on how to build a good Specialist, I would recommend this article:

Raevhen a.k.a Iron Butterfly, 31st level Specialist

Posted: May 6th 2011 2:35AM Patrick Mackey said

@Raevhen Unstoppable how? Specialist isn't as survivable as Savage, Glacier, or Behemoth. It doesn't deal as much damage as Savage or Behemoth. It might deal more damage than Glacier, I'm not sure.

Again, solo content doesn't test a character at all. Team content tests a character, and particularly 5-man SL on VH/Elite, the endgame lairs (minus Nemcon), and some of the harder, mobbier pre-40 lairs. Nemcon also counts too but only if you do it in a suicidal manner (instead of pulling prisoners in the nemesis rooms). Claiming you're unstoppable because you beat solo open world content or normal difficulty instances isn't particularly impressive.

Posted: May 6th 2011 4:27AM (Unverified) said

Question is, how much actually partying does an average player do in CO? The game, when I played, seem far too geared towards soloing, which was one of the reason CoX was more interesting to play as it catered more to groups.

Posted: May 6th 2011 4:52AM Patrick Mackey said

@(Unverified) It really depends. I team a lot -- it's as simple as sending a few messages to people on your friends list. Doing 5-man SL/DF in a team is a lot more rewarding for high level characters, and it gives good experience for lower level characters. Also, even at low levels, characters are surprisingly capable if built properly. It's more about skill than it is about build, with the sole exception of tanks and pure DPS. The only time you really need pure DPS is the final battle in Nemcon.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny