Posted: May 4th 2011 10:39AM aurickle said

Incidentally, the fact that Sony has initiated the FBI investigation indicates confidence that they were not negligent, since any wrongdoing on their part would be brought out by such an investigation. It also indicates a commitment that if the investigation turns up any evidence of wrongdoing on their part or that of their employees, Sony wants to resolve such matters.

In other words, they're convinced that they are victims, the same as those of us who's data was stolen.

Posted: May 4th 2011 10:39AM Ryn said

WOW what a mess this has developed into. Maybe if I dropped a lawsuit on all the games I have every played that took more than the advertised extended down time, I wouldn't have to work for a living. Hmmmm.

I hope other game companies are taking notice of what is happening here.
for that matter, I hope all other companies are taking notice and reviewing their security measures. Customers need to be part of this too.

This is going to have a huge impact on SOE customer numbers. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised to see another layoff notice coming from SOE.

Posted: May 4th 2011 10:57AM pcgneurotic said

I'm very sorry, but I've actually been a satisfied SOE customer for almost a decade, and in all that time they've never once done anything to me except provide some of my all-time favourite games to play - EQ, EQII, VG and PS. So I'm happy to report that I sincerely hope they catch those hacking fockers and smash their arrogant teeth down their stupid throats. Amen.

Posted: May 4th 2011 12:53PM Seffrid said

@pcgneurotic :

Same here, I've been a SOE customer more on than off since the original EQ beta and I've never had a bad personal experience with them and have enjoyed their various games enormously. Still do. I don't agree with all the changes they make but I understand the reasons for them making them and for as long as I continue to enjoy the games I'll continue to play them.

They have a bad PR approach, no doubt about that, and it stems largely from Smed's unfortunate tendency to make a commitment which he subsequently back-tracks on, such as "No RMT" but that has never seemed to me to be anything remotely like justification for the obsessive view you regularly come across on the forums to the effect that SOE is the devil incarnate.

I wonder at the coincidence of this happening so soon after a third of the workforce was shown the door, there must be a lot of disgruntled ex-employees out there with an intimate knowledge of SOE's operational systems. I doubt that Anonymous or any other criminal hackers managed this without inside information/assistance. I hope whover is responsible for it pays the appropriate price for it, but I don't intend pursuing SOE for my share of the billion dollars.

However, UK citizens like me also have the protection of the country's Data Protection Officer whose job it is in this situation to investigate the way in which SOE protected their customers' personal data, and if he issues an adverse report I imagine there will be a pretty large fine. He had already announced he had opened an investigation into the PSN security breach so it's inevitable that he will extend it to include SOE.

Not a great time to be working for Sony. While it's just a game to us, it's a livelihood for all those who do work there and I hope this gets resolved quickly for their sake.

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:08AM Sonoran said

Some games that use the SOE portal aren't owned by Sony. It's likely this is going to hurt their business, maybe a lot.

That's where I see the potential lawsuits coming from. If you're running an FTP game on SOE what players are going to open their wallet and register their card? Who would trust them with their card info?

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:18AM Ripper McGee said

"SOE has hired security experts from Data Forte, Guidance Software, and Robert Half International to assist in plugging the holes in its IT infrastructure."

I don't know about the other two, but Robert Half is simply an IT staffing firm, like Manpower. That doesn't bode well at all.

~Ripper

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:18AM Syesta said

Huge Class Action suit, as expected. *sigh*
As what usually happens, it will be settled for $n million amongst millions of the suit participant, and they'll probably give everyone either some portion of time of game/Station access gratis, or cut checks for two bucks a pop.

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:35AM oxlar said

I spent gas money to drive to the grocery store, but they were all out of coco puffs. Some jerkwad bought the last box. I think I'm going to file a class action law suit against the grocery store for 1 billion dollars.

Posted: May 4th 2011 12:27PM (Unverified) said

@oxlar
If the grocery store also made photocopies of your credit card and drivers license and left them on the counter for the jerkwad who bought the last box then yes, you could sue. And you would probably win.

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:16PM starbuck1771 said

@(Unverified) Actualy your CC information is stored in a database just like the ones that SoNY has every time you swip it. You knowingly swip or use your card and every time you use it there is a chance that database can be hacked. SONY is takeing heat for something that could happen to anyone. Earlier this year a bank was hacked and thousands of peoples bank account and credit card info was stolen, did the people get stupid and file unwarrented law suits then? Hell no.

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:33PM (Unverified) said

@starbuck1771
Umm, Yeah, in fact they did. You may want to do a little research my friend. I assume you are familiar with Google, visit it and type "bank data breach lawsuit" into the little box thingy in the middle of the screen. You will find literally thousands of links relating to class action lawsuits over mishandled financial data.
"It happens all the time" is no excuse. There are consequences for these kinds of errors. Banks have to deal with lawsuits when they screw up, why should Sony be exempt?

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:53PM aurickle said

@(Unverified)
You think Sony isn't experiencing consequences?

1) Massive loss of face and loss of customer confidence. Many people will cancel subscriptions because of this. Let's say only 1% of customers do so. That's up to $3.6 million per month lost right there, for SoE alone and potentially $43 million in the coming year.

2) The various "make good" offerings that they're putting together, such as the month of free time to subscribers. If that comes to an average of $15 value per customer, it could top $1 billion between SoE and PSN.

There have been massive consequences. And bear in mind that SoE was already struggling to some extent or they wouldn't have closed divisions and laid off employees.

Who's going to ultimately pay these consequences? WE will - in the form of slowed development and possibly even seeing games that are on the bubble (like Vanguard) shut down.

Posted: May 4th 2011 3:49PM oxlar said

@(Unverified)

sounds like your saying the jerkwad didn't do anything illegal. Perhaps if the jerkwad broke into a locked door and logged into a computer and stole the info, then maybe it would be similar.

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:41AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Never felt so justified in hating Sony. Good work Sony!

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:21PM starbuck1771 said

@(Unverified) If you hate SONY for being a victom then you have seriouse issues and need to report to the nearest mental health clinic for admission. The fact that your Anon just verifies the fact kid.

Posted: May 4th 2011 12:52PM Vorender said

• 1 heart
Hopefully none of us that were foolish enough to give these clowns our money in the past don't suffer the repercussions of Sony's negligence.

Burn in hell $OE. It's more than about time someone bent you over.

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:17PM starbuck1771 said

@Vorender No you burn in hell kid. None of this is SONY fault. It is the fault of spoiled little kids like you.

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:46PM Vorender said

@starbuck1771

Sony didn't have the security necessary to prevent a breach such as this, so it is there negligence which caused them to be the victim. For some reason, companies that do a majority of their business online think the least important thing to allocate resources to is security. And man, you must be pretty old to be calling someone in their mid 30's a kid. ;)

Posted: May 4th 2011 2:00PM aurickle said

@Vorender
Sony didn't have the necessary security to prevent THIS breach. That is a far sight different from claiming that they didn't have security. It doesn't even mean that they didn't have strong security. It only means that someone was clever enough to get around their security.

People like you have been talking as if Sony just left the customer data laying around where anyone could pick it up. That's silly.

My own company spends months developing new activation systems for every release of our software. Yet every time, it takes the hackers a matter of days to break that security and pirate the software. Sony is a much, much larger entity with bigger budgets but as long as servers are connected to the internet -- which is obviously a necessity when dealing with an MMO or online commerce -- there are risks. It is impossible to guard against every possible attack.

The fact that it's taken a huge, tempting target like Sony so long for an attack to be successful is actually a good indicator that their security was in reality pretty darned strong.

Posted: May 4th 2011 5:08PM Interitus said

@Vorender

I don't understand why you are laughing. The MMO genre is quite small, and SOE is a big player. Regardless of your thoughts on them, what happens to SOE can have huge impacts on the rest of the MMO world. So consider what you're saying before you run your mouth.