Posted: May 4th 2011 9:50PM ScottishViking said

Sorry, insufficient.

"Tweaks" won't bring any new players to PvMP. It might bring a FEW back, but it's still the same old busted-ass fishbowl that it has been since it launched.

I say this as someone who has spent a LOT of time on my Weaver (R8), who loves the Moors, and who genuinely wants to see it expand.

(And before anyone jumps in with it: all the proposed zone expansions with Isengard have NOT been confirmed, and were always only rumours.)

Posted: May 5th 2011 1:21AM EngadgetSoFunny said

@ScottishViking
How is LOTRO atm? I haven't played LOTRO since last summer; a month or three before it went free-to-play. I haven't been back since or spent much time playing the game since that time. Honestly, I got bored. I collected all my radiance gear from the 3-man BG instances in Mirkwood via getting all my 'tokens' and turning those 'tokens' into gear. I then did a ton of skirmishes to get a max ranked/skilled skirmisher. I then got a few first-age weapons and started doing the max-each-legacy with scrolls then upgrade to unlock the max amount of legacies and took the 1st age lvl 65 with the best traits and ...

Well, I felt like I didn't have much else to do after that as a Minstrel. My will/fate were 650 which is the max. I started to re-gear towards vitality and still maintained 650 will/fate. There was no way to get better gear to produce stronger heals with my will/fate maxed out with the small exception of multiplier bonuses and 1st ages legacies which I already maxed out.

So I unsubscribed, waiting egarly for news of new content. I'm downloading the LOTRO client as we speak to try the new '3' man instances but am not holding my breath. I might try Isengard though whenever it launches and would like to get rid of some of my minstrel skill's rust.

Posted: May 5th 2011 2:06AM ScottishViking said

@EngadgetSoFunny

I suppose you'd just get mad at me if I suggested starting a new toon? ;)

As for how it is: it's pretty much the same, but overall improved. They've done a great job revamping a lot of the starter and early zones, and Vols 1 and 2 are soloable now, which is neat. End-game wise, I think you probably hit the same wall that a lot of people did. I deliberately slowed down my own 65 Minstrel when I got to Mirkwood, so am only now maxing the categories you describe. In the meantime, I have started a Warden and a LM and a Burg, and am having a great time taking them through the "new" old zones. And in those zones, there are many new quests. Much of it is, I think, worth revisiting.

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of new LI changes. Your old ones won't be negatively affected, but many of the new LIs may be marginally better due to changes in relics and legacy selection process.

Posted: May 5th 2011 8:42AM shipwreck said

@EngadgetSoFunny

Mister Viking sums it up nicely, but if I can put in my two pence: even as an endgame, "min-maxer" type you will enjoy the new instances. You might burn through them rather quickly but it's definitely worth a download to check them out.

Posted: May 5th 2011 2:52AM FrostPaw said

I always thought the idea of monster vs player PvP where you get to be the monster was a far more balancing way of doing PvP since you can balance the monsters however you want without affecting players characters.

Instead of upsetting players by nerfing their character class you could simply buff the monster equivalent or alternatively nerf the monster equivalent to bring it in line with the players who face it.

Seems a uniquely neutral way of doing pvp where you can seperate yourself from the cries of imbalance between player classes as a personal affront to your characters progression.. If you get beaten its ok because you were playing a monster and if the monster beats the player character thats ok because they were not beaten by a class that appears superior to them its simply a monster that anybody can choose to play.

Posted: May 5th 2011 6:59AM Nandini said

@FrostPaw It is a fairly "neutral" way of balancing things, since it can be done reactively.

However, since free players (i.e., the good guys) are expected to continue character progression throughout the game, and monster players (the bad guys) rarely get updates, it usually ends up being lopsided within a few months after each expansion.

This isn't such a bad thing, given the intellectual property the game is based on. Many monster players (myself included) enjoy being the underdogs, and still finding a fun way to fight.

It is just boring playing on the exact same map after 4 years. And whoever says we weren't promised a new map, just read Turbine's press release, which they haven't bothered amending: http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/910

"Expanded Monster Play – LOTRO’s monster play system will get a major revamp including opening up the feature to all players, changes to monster player skills and advancement and a brand new region for players to battle for or against the forces of evil."

Turbine admits now that this new region won't be released with the Isengard expansion. Instead, it seems Turbine plans to monetize the existing Ettenmoors region by charging free and premium players for access. This is consistent with the company's typical reuse of existing assets to cater to the new crowd since the launch of Free-to-Play.

Posted: May 5th 2011 8:16AM ScottishViking said

@Nandini

A good summary. I'd forgotten about that brief mention of the new zone in that press release. Still: that was the first and last official confirmation of it, and everything else since then, as you say, has been relatively minor in comparison. In Turbine terms, that's as close to a development death sentence as anything.

Posted: May 5th 2011 8:42AM Budukahn said

@Nandini

Dead on the money I'd say. I used to think Warcraft was bad, encouraging people to keep running six year old battlegrounds over and over again with only new gear for rewards, but at least Warcraft brought out new PVP areas over time.

Anything less than a new zone and new major features, like proper sieges - properly optimized to cope with the raid on raid encounters is a sad waste of mental faculty to even consider. I haven't done an awful lot of time in the Moors to be honest, but from my perspective there's really no point investing much time as a player into it. The developers have never really cared much about it, so why should I?

Posted: May 5th 2011 10:32AM (Unverified) said

PvMP seemed like a strange curiosity they tacked on to the rest of LotRO, but I do agree with the comments about it being one way of handling PvP without having to balance all the PC classes against one another. Still, I'm much more interested in standard PvE content.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014