Posted: May 4th 2011 3:22PM Halldorr said

I never gave this game much of a thought but it doesn't look too bad to be honest. I wonder what the population is like and what features are in game...off to go read forums :)

Posted: May 4th 2011 3:45PM Sonoran said

It was nice to join the Massively Mateys and meeting you the other day.

For ships there's a good comparison spreadsheet produced by "Remus" to be found here: http://www.4shared.com/file/Wt_It-jF/Ships_Skills_and_Outfitting_22.html

I usually upgrade ships for PvE below level 50 like this:

Level | Ship
1 - fallback ship
11 - Dolphyn Heavy (optional, tanky for its level)
12 - Van Hoorn Snow (must have)
17 - Cruizer Heavy Snow (optional tanky and hits hard for its level )
23 - Postillionen Heavy Frigate (pick this or the Master Craft)
26 - Postillionen Master Craft Frigate (pick this or the Heavy)
33 - Stralsund Mastercraft Frigate (must have, this is a great ship, hits hard at range)
39 - Raa Mastercraft Frigate (optional, maneuverable and powerful at close range)
42 - Capricieux Heavy Frigate (optional, the Raa & Stralsund can take you to 50, the Capricieux is a nice ship too)

If you get a chance look at the "Shipwrights" area of the PotBS forums. One of the great things about this game is the work that goes into making these ships historically accurate. The ships are made by players who collaborate in this forum and use 18th century plans to create the 3D models.

You can follow the whole design process for a particular ship in one of the threads in this forum section. I takes them months to create a new ship. It makes for a pretty interesting read.

Posted: May 4th 2011 6:14PM Graill440 said

Not suicide. Just that you would be griefed by those that would kill you just because they could mentality, exactly like another backwoods title.

Like the other title the ignorance and naivety of devs thinking people in games will want to help save you or take time to get revenge, no real world experience for devs, just many sets of rose colored glasses. The people that would help are a minescule demographic and far, far outnumbered to the point its not worth the time or effort. This is the way the vast majority of people think, someone else will do it.

"Stand by me if you want protection. Stand by me if you want freedom. Stand by me only if i am not busy having fun."

Posted: May 6th 2011 5:10AM isildur said

@Graill440 -- I'm not kidding when I say I added that feature for masochists. We talked about the PvP flag for a while internally, knowing full well it would be nothing but a 'please grief me' sign hung on your ship.

Ultimately, its voluntary nature is what swayed us. The forums were full of people who swore they'd flag immediately and never un-flag, and it was a relatively minor feature to add. We assume that anyone using it is declaring to the world that they're hard enough to take on anyone.

re: the article: I've been on other projects at the company for a while now, so it's nice to be reminded of the things I really liked about Pirates. :)

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant