Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:37AM SnarlingWolf said

Everyone wants a piece of the pie and it is just too much. It isn't just MMOs though it is every single game category. There are too many smart phone games, too many FPS games and of course too many MMOs.

Gaming hasn't reached a big enough scope of users for this to work which is why so many products are failing/losing money. It doesn't help when everyone thinks they can design a good game too and dozens of new indie companies pop-up every year just to release their grand project, which isn't good, and close their doors the same year they opened.

We really only need 1-3 new MMOs a year to keep everything flowing nicely since this isn't a game type where the old games are put in the closet when the new ones come out. This is a type of game where they run for over 10 years so every new one released saturates the market even further. There are probably only around 20-30 million MMO gamers in the world at this point yet there are hundreds and hundreds of MMOs with more being released on a monthly basis.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:55AM Saker said

I have no problem with there being large numbers out there. Probably a good thing, maybe a few new (truly) decent ideas will show up! Hopefully the numbers will spawn an actual good one or two, instead of the usual boring crap... Need some good truly new games actually worth playing, investing time (money) in! ArcheAge is pretty much my great hope right now, not really seeing anything else that's got the features we should all demand at this point as a given.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 11:10AM Irem said

Nope, I really think the more we have, the merrier. As more competition crops up, hopefully more companies will look at targeting games to specific niches.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 11:15AM Haldurson said

Competition is generally a good thing, new titles have to have something to distinguish themselves, or at least, do something better or cheaper or shinier, or with a better twist than the others. Some will succeed, and some will fail, and that's the nature of the beast.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:01PM Space Cobra said

I would say, "YES!"

This is especially true if one starts going through international boundaries and starts playing MMOs that are not in their native language.

But, IMO, there really needs to be, at least, more MMOs that are not in a fantasy-setting. Heck, a side-step to Asian-Fantasy is a nice change-of-pace, but even that can get overwhelming. I do see more games with different themes, like Sci-Fi, but there needs to be more.

I come from a time when RPGs (and I am talking mainly single player, although I also did play similar titles online) were scarce. I tend to buy/collect/play such too much (even the non-RPG ones that are labelled as such). Sometimes I don't get to them! I keep reminding myself of a story I heard; of a fellow who married a woman from Russia and brought her over to the States. Meat was scarce there, so she felt inclined to hoard meat. They had to buy extra freezers to store them all. He tried to explain, but she didn't quite "get it." They divorced mainly because of this.

I sometimes think I am like that woman, gobbling up and trying to support these RPG titles, in which there are many more now than years ago. I really can't get to all of them and give them "quality time".

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:47PM Seldra said

I think so too, I think companies are overestimating the demand for MMOs. I'm beginning to wonder if there's really that many MMO gamers out there. I've played a number of P2P and F2P MMOs and I've seen the same groups of players from, WoW, Eve, GW, and other top Tier titles. The MMO pool for all the advertising of multimillion subs is really the same group of people most of the time.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:58PM Fakeassname said

the big failing is how many games are still intended to be soul sucking voids that devour all your free time and money.

instead of 9 months to a year and beyond as the ideal retention rate many of these games need to be rescaled for 3-6 months of core content (with repetition based progress to carry the players who wish to stick around longer).

as things stand now most players don't even get past the introductory levels of the average game due to lack of accomplishment.

IMO most games should spit you out of the introductory segment in no more than a week, a total game time of a month to get past the intermediate stage of the game, and another 2-3 months to "beat the game" by finalizing character development (note: I'm not talking about level cap, just getting to the point when any further character development is just refinement of what has been established), then after that being the repetitious "end game" content.

in contrast the current pacing is something like 1 month to get past the introductory segment, 2-3 months to get past the intermediate stuff, and another 4-6 months to get to the "end game." so we are talking 7-10 months to establish a completely developed character and that is way too long with the plethora of new and better titles that get released every couple of months.

MMO makers need to start getting people in, getting them through the game's core "plot," and then chucking a new title at them to decide between moving on or settling in to become a full resident of the current game.

sort of like what Arena net has done with Guild wars, except with more options for extended game play.

P.S. I hear ya space cobra, every year I rack up more and more titles into my backlog of "good games I bought on sale for cheap, but will never get around to playing."

Posted: May 3rd 2011 1:01PM FrostPaw said

I think there are too many fantasy mmos.

Logic would dictate too many would mean a lot of them would have to shut down but that doesn't seem to stop more comming out every year so evidently somebody out there is still paying for them.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 1:33PM Nepentheia said

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:53PM Rengar said

No, I don't think there are too many. More choice is never a bad thing in my opinion. The MMOs that our out there the more likely players are to find something they like, and be stuck playing something they don't and endlessly complaining on forums and news posts. :)

That being said, I agree with some of the other sentiments that more variety in setting and gameplay mechanics would help with that rehashed feeling that many games in the last 2 years have. this will come though. MMOs follow the same pattern of all products in the world. New and Innovative > Mass Market Availability > Clones and Over-saturation > New and Innovative!

We are currently on the Clones and Over-Saturation phase. This leads to a general feeling of wishing for the "good ol days" when things were new and innovative. That's why there's such a disdain for games like Rift for people that have been playing MMOs for a very long time. However a company will either Innovate in an existing game, or create a new MMO with the new features people are pining for.

Posted: May 4th 2011 8:33AM Valdamar said

Yes, far too many, and still mostly fantasy genre too.

More quality and less quantity, please, developers. More diversity too.

Earlier this year it was getting to the point where I was having to spend as much time researching what MMOs to play as I did actually playing them (as some MMO clients take me 6+ hours to download here, and with 75+ unique passwords for all the sites/games I've used in the past I'm hardly keen to have to set-up new game accounts just on the rare possibility that I might like a new MMO). It's getting to be a huge relief when I find an MMO that can last me a good few months just so that I can cut down how long I spend on the net looking for my next MMO.

Massively is not helping matters - your glut of articles here reflects the market - too much quantity, not enough quality. It can take ages to wade through your site to filter out the few pieces of news/info I actually want to read, especially if I am not able to read the site for a few days and have to catch up. I really wish you could be a bit more incisive and selective with your coverage - focus more on the games themselves, rather than your personal insights into the industry, the playerbase and the "MMO phenomenon" in general - I know you don't do reviews, but are you a blog site or a news site? - please decide, because all I need is a MMO news site. I don't read Massively for entertainment value - I'd rather be playing MMOs than reading Massively.

The glut of new MMOs being released pushes me towards only considering obvious triple-A titles for my future MMO needs (and I'm really hoping GW2 will be deep enough that I can just play that and forget about other MMOs for YEARS). Sure, there will be hundreds of other MMOs I could try, but if 90+% of them are going to be clones or rushed/flawed rubbish like we've had in the past few years then what's the point? It's not worth wading through so much crud just to find a few gems.

Posted: May 4th 2011 6:31PM WeirdJedi said

In a sense of game development, I don't think there are too many. It allows people to pick and choose what mechanics have worked out and to help better their game. This is sort of why people tend to look at more popular games, like World of Warcraft or Lord of the Rings Online, and the less fortunate ones, like Age of Conan or Warhammer Online.

Then again, it takes time to play these games. The games are meant to be engaging, but at the same time keep you playing for months in advance. Don't expect to finish the story in 60 hours. This limits to the amount of games you can play. Pick wisely.

There is also the problem with picking a game that other people will play. Just because Rift might be a fun game doesn't mean your nephew will enjoy it too. Maybe play something more casual, like City of Heroes or Lego Universe.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM