Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:41PM Zenn said

Hopefully in future more MMO's will actually consider creating mac clients, it's a good thing to see

Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:52PM (Unverified) said

@Zenn Its possible but more unlikely then likely. There would have to be a major move to OpenGL and a huge move away from DirectX. It's unlikely that, that will happen given DirectX being a big push in keeping a standards going for game development.

Also OpenGL support across graphics cards is scattered. Some cards support some OpenGL calls while others do not. There is no real rim or reason for it. But thats how it is.

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:18PM Zenn said

@(Unverified)
SIgh...well one can dream. I'll stick with my Virtual Machines and boot camp for now :(

Posted: May 3rd 2011 11:57PM gingus418 said

Just for those of you wondering, it works quite well. I've had the opportunity to log on with the mac version a couple of times now (I'm on a mac, but have been very busy lately) and I can definitely see myself playing Ryzom for a long while. At least until SWTOR comes out. Then it's back to bootcamp for me.

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:32AM Azimn said

LOL I downloaded this on the App store days ago.. I didn't know it was news..

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:44AM gingus418 said

@Azimn I actually agree. This came out April 15th. Not sure why Massively is just covering it now.

Posted: May 4th 2011 2:56AM (Unverified) said

It's a pretty good port ... unfortunately, the Mac version is not promoted on the official website, the official forums are almost dead (and no one seems to be interested in the Mac version of the game) and the Mac App Store demographic may not be the right one for a complex MMORPG like Ryzom ...

Anyway, I really hope that the release of the Linux and Mac clients will help keeping the community alive.

(Sorry for my rusty English)

Pietro

Posted: May 4th 2011 3:48AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) There was nothing wrong with any of your English :D
Yea I was confused when I went to the official website and it didn't say anything about the mac version, I wish there was another way to download it, the app store isn't the kind of place I want to download something thats a GB in size >.

Posted: May 4th 2011 3:14AM Renitaur said

Just glad they finally released the mac port somewhere, a little more fanfare would have been nice of course. I didn't know they had released it till I saw this. While crossover works, never quite as convenient as an actual port.

Posted: May 4th 2011 9:06AM Sladden said

Will mac users have the same "server" as pc users? (I don't know much about Mac).

Anyway, is the game dead? I have allways wanted to try it out!

Posted: May 4th 2011 10:39AM gingus418 said

@Sladden They are on the same server from what I can tell. And no the game isn't dead from what I can tell! Granted I'm still on the newbie island Silan, but the last couple of times I've logged on into the game is the most number of people I've seen running around at one time. Again, I'm still on the newbie island and I'm sure that has something to do with it, but more people are definitely trying the game out. That's gotta count for something, right?

Posted: May 4th 2011 10:43AM (Unverified) said

@Sladden

Yes, Windows, Linux and Mac users play on the same servers.

As far as I know, the game is not dead but it sure looks a bit neglected ...

Posted: May 4th 2011 11:28AM MaddZ said

Its on the app store? Damn, just spent 30 minutes digging through the "games" section of the Apple store.

Posted: May 4th 2011 12:25PM donweel said

Oh joy, had Ryzom running under crossover, but after an update it quit. That means I can run Eve and Ryzom now without boot camping. LotRO runs fine under crossover. So now I only have to bootcamp for Rift and I think that may be fixed in the last crossover update.

Posted: May 4th 2011 2:21PM EndDream said

• 1 heart
macs... why?

Posted: May 4th 2011 7:06PM MaddZ said

@EndDream

Because my (then girlfriend) now wife talked me into one. Since at the time I was only using the MSOffice package and WoW it wasn't a big deal. Several years later, I find myself wanting to play something else.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014