Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:30PM Morde said

My problem with Order & Chaos is the fact that it is only for newer devices. I have an older 2g iPod Touch and it doesn't work. I realize its a fairly older device, but it is decidedly frustrating when newer apps don't support it. Especially when the devices don't have a lot different about them.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:36PM Miffy said

@Morde

Newer specs inside, pretty simple really.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:47PM Kerbion said

@Morde

There is a good deal different between the iPod 2g and the 4g.

The 4th gen has a 1ghz processor, and 256MB of RAM. Plus a screen resolution of 960x640.

The 2nd Gen device has a 533 MHz ARM Processor with 128MB of RAM and a screen resolution of 320x480.

That is a HUGE difference.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:59PM Morde said

@Kerbion @Miffy

I realize this, however when you take into account the fact that it is at a smaller resolution, it shouldn't be too much of a feat to backport it to the system.

I just want to be frustrated, leave me be! ;)

Posted: May 3rd 2011 5:30PM Gaugamela said

@Kerbion

The iPod touch 4 and the iPhone 4 have 512 RAM actually.

I also have a 2g iPod Touch and can't complain. With Apple your smartphone/iPod Touch is usually supported for 2 years. Afterwards there's still support but newer features that take more power aren't included.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:35PM Miffy said

I think Gameloft make crap rip off games and I have no interest in playing them. However I do thank them for showing the world that these games are possible on a mobile phone. Without Gameloft all we have is Angry Birds and some crap attempts at fake 3D games like Infinity Blade and Rage. So funny really that Gameloft do a better job than Epic or Id.

That said until they make something original and support their games properly, instead of ignoring them to churn out another sequel, then I have no interest in playing.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 7:06PM Tovrin said

@Miffy I don't think the ripoffs they make are THAT crap, technically speaking. They are just working within the limitations of the platform.

If mainstream companies provided for mobile platforms there would be no need for Gameloft. They fill a gap in the market ... admittedly with other peoples ideas ... but that should be no stranger to the MMO world. ;-)

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:55PM Pingles said

At least with a game like this they are only ripping off the graphics and mechanics. Importing to a new platform with a new interface is a pretty bg undertaking, especially if they did it well.

This was no small feat.

Why they wouldn't go one step further and make it their own I'll never understand.

The only reason I keep my PC around is for gaming. Everything else happens on my iPad.

It will be great when I find games to migrate over with.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:58PM SocksForYou said

So is O&C Online any good? I just got an iphone and I'm looking for something a bit more substantial than the Angry Birds-type stuff.

Btw, it's not an MMO but anyone with an iphone or ipad should get Sword & Sworcery. Incredible game

Posted: May 3rd 2011 3:03PM EgoPoisoning said

Chronicles of Riddick was unoriginal? Taking a character previously presented as a space stab-murderer in a horror flick and bringing him into a sci-fi/fantasy epic?

The blatant, exultant nature of Gameloft's property imitation exceeds what I'm comfortable supporting for myself, as well as what I'm willing to put people---even those non-gamers I love and wish I could see engage in the hobby---onto. I recognize that Blizzard owes much to Games Workshop, but it's also inarguable that they went on to expand and refine their universes so thoroughly that they're the ones known for the properties now.

Might be that, five years down the line, Gameloft is the same way. I'll wait to see it before I relax my stance, however. Until they demonstrate the same level of storytelling development and commitment to the quality of "their" ip, this is the equivalent of copying someone else's essay and trimming 500 words.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 3:32PM Borick said

Bad clone is bad.

If you're going to rip off a game system for your new MMO, why would you rip off WoW?

Rip off Minecraft for your new MMO. Not WoW!

Posted: May 3rd 2011 4:06PM (Unverified) said

In Soviet Russia, someone rips off World of Warcraft!

Posted: May 3rd 2011 7:00PM Tovrin said

@Tempes Magus ROFL!

Posted: May 3rd 2011 5:32PM Gaugamela said

I was expecting something more akin to a review of this game like you do in your Free for all column Beau.

Will you do it eventually?

Posted: May 3rd 2011 5:47PM Beau Hindman said

@Gaugamela Maybe. I think I'll need to spend some good time with it because it's not as obvious as WoW. I have a feeling that there might be some cool things later on, but that will take time to get to.

With this column I usually play a game for a while and talk about it. Rise and Shiny is on a set schedule. Keep an eye out!

Beau

Posted: May 3rd 2011 6:05PM Dracones said

I really like the idea of a mobile MMO(MMMO??). Sitting in front of a PC tends to be more of a "formal" thing, game time or browsing wise. Tablets/phone is more casual laying on the couch type experience. It's hard to play WoW on a laptop in your lap.

I'd love to see a decent MMO type game aimed at a tablet user interface. And that's probably where the future is going. I think we're entering the age of mobile computing, period.

But the key phrase here is decent MMO. Just because the user interface and graphics has to be simple doesn't mean the gameplay and game experience needs to be dumbed down.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 6:10PM Beau Hindman said

@Dracones Vendetta Online works well with the new Android pad. I thought it was available on my HTC Inspire, but I am confused about whether or not it is. Anyway, you might look at this:

Beau

Posted: May 3rd 2011 11:11PM Laephis said

The videos of this game make the "controlling your character" portion look horrendous. Extremely limited options, one-handing gaming for long periods of time, not to mention the finger-cramping. My question remains: Why bother?

Posted: May 4th 2011 12:22PM Goldenspiral said

I like to play the Gameloft clones to fill time between iterations of the actual cloned franchise. For example, right now I'm into Dungeon Hunter: Alliance on the PSN. It's a Torchlight/Diablo clone, and a pretty shiny one as well. It will fill the void until Dungeon Siege 3 releases later this year.

Most games on my HTC Incredible are uncomfortable to play for long periods, plus if I'm at home I'll play on my PS3 or PC - not my phone.

Posted: May 5th 2011 4:39AM Inspectah said

i love everything about this game except that after lvl 30ish the quests fall off hard and theres just a lot of grinding with only a few quests becoming available after each lvl. at this point i just hit 49 but see that im already going to have to grind this whole level to unlock the 4 quests im too low for.
| 1 | 2 |